2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks really good!

As far as the rear cargo compartment, what I'm thinking is to have lift-away portions to give access to the plastic factory compartments. (Hinges etc). And have two smaller drawers in the areas next to the main rear plastic bin, with a fold out sleeping platform to cover the rear seats. It makes sense in my head, but it may end up looking like a wood Swiss Army knife :)

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Looks really good!

As far as the rear cargo compartment, what I'm thinking is to have lift-away portions to give access to the plastic factory compartments. (Hinges etc). And have two smaller drawers in the areas next to the main rear plastic bin, with a fold out sleeping platform to cover the rear seats. It makes sense in my head, but it may end up looking like a wood Swiss Army knife :)

Well once you start building it, things become more clear. The hinge idea is good I guess but If anything is on top of the lid blocking the compartment then you have to rummage around for what is in the compartment... That is something I personally did not want to deal with but you may be okay with it since you want a sleeping platform. I have an emergency roadside kit in the very bottom compartment that our pathfinders have and I can lift the entire drawer system I have up enough to get inside the compartment in case of emergency. Now, if I have things on top of the drawers then that would be a major hassle. Keeping the side compartment would have been ideal as it is actually quite large once you take the little lid off. One thing to keep in mind would be making sure you have clearance for the sleeping area fold out part. A large piano hinge that allows the top to literally fold open and double the area for your sleeping area would be really cool if you can get it so it doesn't run into the roof. I am excited to see this outcome.

bushnut

Adventurer
no need for rubber as the legs are bolted to the cargo floor.
and ya the dog, she is pretty cute. all 90lbs of her. she rides back there when I don't have cargo so I had to make the shelf low enough so that she can stand up but high enough so I can slide my tool box/ lawn chair/ recovery gear and other junk under neath away from prying eyes.

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thank you for the suggestions, and yes It will definitely be a grand experiment, drawing up plans now. haha

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
More items Checked off

Got my new fram air filter put in. I'm not even going to take a picture of that as you should all know what an air filter is. The fridge showed up yesterday! Its really big and heavy haha, wasn't expecting that. Im not sure how 1 person would move around one of the 80L ones... Anyways because I do not have a constant hot inside my vehicle I am preforming some tests. I have items in it but the cabinet is not filled. Anyways I plugged it in and ran it last night and got it down to 37* (btw the compressor is very quiet) so today I have been opening it for 30 seconds or so occasionally without it being plugged in to see how long it will stay under 43*. If it lasts for more than a day that would be awesome! So what I will probably end up doing is on trips I will turn the car on just long enough to get the fridge down to temp and then let it work like an iceless cooler. When we are more vehicle based (meaning most of the summer trips) I can just leave it plugged in so no worries there :) I really like it! The double swag skydome is 3 weeks out all over the country :( They have singles available but the gf and I really wouldn't be set with that. That's okay we will use a cheap-o Coleman tent from Walmart for this trip. Our only question is to use the roof rack or not.... Stioc mentioned a weatherproof bag on top of the rack to put things in for rain or dust so he convinced me to get one.. So I could place sleepings bags, pads, pillows in the canvas bag and have to chairs and cots on either long side of the bag and that leaves the rear of the roof basket for fuel. OOORRR I can have it all in my vehicle and skip bringing extra fuel. The latter would make the cargo area very full and clustered but still do-able. Any suggestions?

richard310

pew pew
You can possibly move the extra fuel outside to the rear swing out? That should open up the interior cargo space a whole lot. Just weld on some holders to the swing out, unless that's not what you're looking for.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
You can possibly move the extra fuel outside to the rear swing out? That should open up the interior cargo space a whole lot. Just weld on some holders to the swing out, unless that's not what you're looking for.

Well that will happen in time. I will literally be copying the AT jerry can holder design. As for this trip I no longer will be taking any Jerry cans as I don't see myself being very far from a gas station. I can go about 350 miles in between fill ups. Anyways I think we have decided to just use the roof basket and not worry. I will keep the light fluffy stuff up top so I wont worry about the top heavy issues that can come with overloading it. Thanks though and keep looking after I get back from the trip for those jerry can mounts.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Maybe I missed it but what size fridge did you end up with? I'm going through the same debate right now

richard310

pew pew
Well that will happen in time. I will literally be copying the AT jerry can holder design. As for this trip I no longer will be taking any Jerry cans as I don't see myself being very far from a gas station. I can go about 350 miles in between fill ups. Anyways I think we have decided to just use the roof basket and not worry. I will keep the light fluffy stuff up top so I wont worry about the top heavy issues that can come with overloading it. Thanks though and keep looking after I get back from the trip for those jerry can mounts.

Cool. I'll be hoping to come back with something similar too after my trip next week.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Maybe I missed it but what size fridge did you end up with? I'm going through the same debate right now

ARB 35L ... so far it is very nice! Much heavier and larger than i thought but I can see it being VERY worth it for trips over 3 days.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I am looking at the Indel B and the price difference between 40 and 50 L is only $30. I just think the 50 might be too big!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I am looking at the Indel B and the price difference between 40 and 50 L is only $30. I just think the 50 might be too big!

I can definitely see 50L being too big. But depends on length of trips and how many people will be in the X. I know the 30L is okay for 2 for maybe 4-5 days depending. 40L would have been better for the drinks and food. I just wish it opened like the cooler (opened on the long side) with the arb opening on the short side it cant open all the way when in the back seats... Not a big deal but something I noticed. I like the nice look of the one you are looking at.. The ARB doesn't look as robust (reviews say it is but looks are somewhat important haha). Anyways if you can find dimensions that would be good!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Are you doing GONEmoab this year? Stuff is seriously starting to come together, nice work!

Nope not this year. Doesn't look like Ill be free during that time. That's okay I am still young and have nothing but time! Thanks! Once I get back from my trip ill start on the brakes and the front bumper.. That will make me feel better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online