2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Very nice, black is always good :) As far as a storage platform, mine's still in the design phase, as it's both complex and something which will fill my non-existent free time :sombrero:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Very nice, black is always good :) As far as a storage platform, mine's still in the design phase, as it's both complex and something which will fill my non-existent free time :sombrero:

Haha just something to keep in mind.. I would say under-build it. Mine is much too heavy because of the thick materials I used. Storage drawers or other solutions are a great way to test ideas as cardboard is cheap and imagination is the only thing holding you back.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Right, I'm tossing around the idea of keeping access to the floor storage bin as well as the one on the right corner. This would give me a big area for sleeping bags etc in the middle, which can be moved, and drawers for permanents such as tow strap and shackles. And then an expandable platform on top of that to fold out when the seats are down to sleep. Any suggestions?

rgallant

Adventurer
I had thought about a platform with drawers at the back and liftable lids at front where the seats are. It makes access a lot easier and the drawers shorter. My concern has always been weight, I just cannot figure a good material that is both light and sturdy in my price range. As well I need it to be some what easily removable.

But I will keep watching this thread is interesting

bushnut

Adventurer
this is what I did to retain access to the storage compartment. all my recovery/tools/ fluids go underneath and all else goes up top.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Right, I'm tossing around the idea of keeping access to the floor storage bin as well as the one on the right corner. This would give me a big area for sleeping bags etc in the middle, which can be moved, and drawers for permanents such as tow strap and shackles. And then an expandable platform on top of that to fold out when the seats are down to sleep. Any suggestions?

Looking at Jon's storage area would be good if you are looking to retain the bottom and side compartment area. Keep in mind that to have good access to those areas the platform needs to be quite high. With a high platform the sleeping arrangements would either be slanted or all high (this would be less than ideal due to set-up and stability issues). I do not follow what you said about the drawers.. Please elaborate :) . Finally the sleeping platform, I would be of little help there. If I'm going to sleep inside it would be in passenger seat laying back. Cars get too cold here at night for me to try it therefore I would not be the best source. Stioc had somewhere in his build early on where he made a sleeping platform. I would ask him. Please elaborate on drawer thing... This I do know things about.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I had thought about a platform with drawers at the back and liftable lids at front where the seats are. It makes access a lot easier and the drawers shorter. My concern has always been weight, I just cannot figure a good material that is both light and sturdy in my price range. As well I need it to be some what easily removable.

But I will keep watching this thread is interesting

Im on my mobile and just responded to this in great detail when keyboard disappeared and erased everything :/ .... I will retype it tomorrow so please hold me to that! For now I will just finish where I was ... The material... This still causes me wonder. Ideally if I could buy a very large piece of material cutting boards are made of I'd be set. Since that is not possible here (results may vary) i had to use wood. If AT ever published what their drawers are made of then that should be your first pick. It you build from wood... 3/8" max. lacquer and stain a lot and you'd be set.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
this is what I did to retain access to the storage compartment. all my recovery/tools/ fluids go underneath and all else goes up top.

If that does not wiggle left and right then voilà! Simple, effective and practical. Hard to not like that.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
List Gets Smaller

Well my birthday is coming up in time for spring break trip to Zion so I wanted to get some more things off the list. I was about to place order for tent when my gf started yelling no.. Turns out my father might be giving me that :) My mom was then telling my dad they should get me both (tent and fridge)...saying how they haven't gotten me any presents since I enlisted and how 21 is special.... Haha early b-day awesomeness!! Last couple of years I got cards and gift card to Ruby Tuesdays.... This year is going to be epic! :) :)
-oh and a vendor my mom deals with was trying to show off again (this is after sending my parents to the super bowl in a club suite and pre game party tickets...and a Knicks game!) so he got my mom a GoPro Hero 3. She has absolutely no use for it so I'm getting it! Score! Today has been a very fortunate day :) I'm excited.

bushnut

Adventurer
the shelf is bolted to the tie down spots with steel L brackets. the up rights are just cut from a piece of 2x4 and the deck is 3/8 plywood all cover now with dark grey outdoor carpet. nice and light and strong enough for me to sit on (I'm about 160lbs) I deliberately left a gap on the right side to store either a jerry can for water or fuel.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
the shelf is bolted to the tie down spots with steel L brackets. the up rights are just cut from a piece of 2x4 and the deck is 3/8 plywood all cover now with dark grey outdoor carpet. nice and light and strong enough for me to sit on (I'm about 160lbs) I deliberately left a gap on the right side to store either a jerry can for water or fuel.

I like the simplicity and functionality of it! The only thing different I may have done was rubberize the bottom of the 2x4s so it wouldn't scrape or make noise. The cut-out is a nice touch but idk about storing fuel inside. I have heard some theories of what could happen... Who knows they could be old wives tales.
Nice looking dog!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
The Current Package

So here is a couple quick shots of how she is sitting now.
P1010928.JPG
P1010930.JPG
P1010931.JPG
The stabilizer bar/sway bar attachment stuff and control arm hardware set should both be here today so I will get those installed hopefully as well as go buy a new air filter and the storage bins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy