2001 R50 Pathfinder Build-up.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Nope not this year. Doesn't look like Ill be free during that time. That's okay I am still young and have nothing but time! Thanks! Once I get back from my trip ill start on the brakes and the front bumper.. That will make me feel better.

We're still planning for next year! OX and GM. That is the right attitude to have. I'm envious. I'm currently stuck in "I have no money or time or good weather but I really want to get back to upgrading" land.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Getting Closer

Today I finished off putting in the new lower control arms.. That was a pain. I got mad and just cut the second one off with an angle grinder and called it a day. If any pathfinder owners are considering this... Just cut through the bolts and call it a day. The first one took a good 4 hours trying to loosen the bolt in the rear. The fronts bolts came out without a problem but the rears.... Just cut them. Anyways the pathfinder feels a lot more stable on the highway in the rear. Hopefully when I get back from my trip the sway bar bushing for the front will show up so I can put the front sway bar back on. I think that will really improve how the pathfinder drives. Also when I get back I will be doing a big overhaul on the brakes. New pads front and rear, new front rotors and all new lines. OH! Side note, I may be screwing a large trucker mud flap in the fender well of my driver rear tire. There is a bunch of exposed lines since removing the rear bumper that I would like to fix so I'm thinking this is the best way. Cheers!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
We're still planning for next year! OX and GM. That is the right attitude to have. I'm envious. I'm currently stuck in "I have no money or time or good weather but I really want to get back to upgrading" land.

HECK YEAH!! Next year is going to be a good one! My money is running out fast but fortunately I have some long military assignments upcoming so that will help out. The weather here has been crazy warm! Its like 62* or so now, kind of breezy but that is just Wyoming. Yeah but you having no time is letting me catch up on the coolness ladder :sombrero: . Hopefully you can get back into it soon!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
HECK YEAH!! Next year is going to be a good one! My money is running out fast but fortunately I have some long military assignments upcoming so that will help out. The weather here has been crazy warm! Its like 62* or so now, kind of breezy but that is just Wyoming. Yeah but you having no time is letting me catch up on the coolness ladder :sombrero: . Hopefully you can get back into it soon!

Awesome! Central Montana has been getting hammered. Last week, we hit -30* and got almost 18" of snow. The past four days, we've seen 50-60* temps, all the snow has melted, causing a bit of flooding. And it's supposed to snow again tomorrow. It's starting to make me mad! It needs to make up it's mind! That's what you get for living in Montana though.

Hopefully your schedule doesn't get too full. Still hoping to coordinate a cool trip with you guys. I have a couple friends in Nissans out here that want to do some trips. One guy in a Hardbody and one in a Frontier.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Awesome! Central Montana has been getting hammered. Last week, we hit -30* and got almost 18" of snow. The past four days, we've seen 50-60* temps, all the snow has melted, causing a bit of flooding. And it's supposed to snow again tomorrow. It's starting to make me mad! It needs to make up it's mind! That's what you get for living in Montana though.

Hopefully your schedule doesn't get too full. Still hoping to coordinate a cool trip with you guys. I have a couple friends in Nissans out here that want to do some trips. One guy in a Hardbody and one in a Frontier.

Yeah they said we are expecting snow... I don't want to shovel anymore :( My unit has been doing flood control pretty regularly but we are well practiced so it is never more than a day. Getting a big meet-up and trail weekend would be kick ***. I am pretty busy until may and then start 2 week rotations at the new job so lots of free time then! A hardbody would be cool to see. All the local hardbody/720 style trucks are beaters around here.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Yeah they said we are expecting snow... I don't want to shovel anymore :( My unit has been doing flood control pretty regularly but we are well practiced so it is never more than a day. Getting a big meet-up and trail weekend would be kick ***. I am pretty busy until may and then start 2 week rotations at the new job so lots of free time then! A hardbody would be cool to see. All the local hardbody/720 style trucks are beaters around here.

I got a snowblower for free :D

His hardbody is absolutely gorgeous. I think the body is immaculate. Nice little lift, bigger tires, and an ARB bumper. Very nice looking ride.

richard310

pew pew
Luck you guys get that. We just get sporadic cloud cover with drizzling mist for "storm watch" in socal. It's just as frustrating here too. This nutty crazy weather lately is getting stupid ridiculous.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Luck you guys get that. We just get sporadic cloud cover with drizzling mist for "storm watch" in socal. It's just as frustrating here too. This nutty crazy weather lately is getting stupid ridiculous.

Drizzling mist... hmm unless I'm up skiing, I'd take that over snow. At least you don't have to shovel mist. But!! that also means you may have to have a gym membership whereas mother nature is so kind to provide me a free one for 6 months out of the year:victory: Seriously though I'm with you on this being stupid. All I need is some nice weather to have a good long maintenance day on this thing and I just cant even do that.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I'd be totally happy if we just got a solid 14-18" of snow in late November, and it hung out until early March. Some snow flurries throughout the season, constant temps of around 10-15*. That would make me happy. None of this "well today it's 55, the sun is shining, not a cloud in the sky. Tomorrow, t's going to be -25, with eight inches of snow. And on Wednesday, it's going to be 45 with some rain." ****** that.

I want winter during the winter, spring during the spring, fall during the fall, and summer during the summer.

Make up your @#$%^&* mind!

/rant

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
I'd be totally happy if we just got a solid 14-18" of snow in late November, and it hung out until early March. Some snow flurries throughout the season, constant temps of around 10-15*. That would make me happy. None of this "well today it's 55, the sun is shining, not a cloud in the sky. Tomorrow, t's going to be -25, with eight inches of snow. And on Wednesday, it's going to be 45 with some rain." ****** that.

I want winter during the winter, spring during the spring, fall during the fall, and summer during the summer.

/rant

Haha. 4 Season region problems :elkgrin:

duckhunter71

Adventurer

/rant

You just described Arkansas during a normal year. You sure you didn't move?!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
So I took a little trip. Saw some stuff.
DSCF5546.jpg
DSCF5618.jpg
Haha I'll do a nice little write up towards lunch-time. I'm headed to school right now so a little shy on time to give proper detail now, but let's just say I will be moving to Moab sometime in my life without fail. It was a great 6 day trip spanning 2000 miles, 3 National Parks, 4 National Forests and one of the Great Wonders of the World.

marty1977

Adventurer
It looks like an amazing trip the views are definitely worth the drive, i'm still waiting for snow to melt so i can start exploring and before that still need to fix up/prepare my little R50.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
AZ, UT Trip (6 Day)

Please excuse the many grammatical errors and massive amount of short, choppy sentences.
-
Alrighty! So I have noticed a trend on this Nissan forum lately, it seems more and more individuals have been going to Moab area around this time. Ha well I am now part of that group but I missed the fellow ExPo guys by a few days. None the less, here is a fast jaunt of the trip.
Mar14-16 I was in Torrington, WY at drill for the National Guard. Let me tell you, when you have a big trip coming... the last thing you want is to be at drill. Anyways I returned to Cheyenne at about 7PM, ate dinner and started loading the vehicle up. We had the Reese waterproof bag on top with all the sleeping bags and pads and pillows stored in it. The rear seat cushions are gone in my vehicle so the fold flat seat backs had the 30L ARB fridge which was plugged into the rear outlet, also on the seats were our two clothes bags. In the gap from the front seats to the back seats were 2 standard issue cots that filled the space quite nice. The ARB skydome is coming soon so the cots will no longer be used. In the back area on top of my drawers were a bin full of all the cooking pots and pans, silverware and utensils... it also has my Weber charcoal stove in it (these fit pretty much perfect inside with no rattling so I am keeping it stocked with these items as all were used). I wish I brought some foil and tongs but future lessons learned. To the driver side of the drawers were the charcoal bin (Kingsford Kaddy) and the tent. Inside the shelf on the passenger side of the drawers were our 2 hygiene kits and a roll of paper towels and a box of garbage bags. The left drawer had all the dry food, snacks, condiments and things like that. The right drawer had all the tools, tow straps, shackles (bow shackles, clevis.. whatever we decided to call them), jumper cables, mini sledge (for tent stakes), rope, knives, hatchet... you know all the good stuff! On the top of the drawers to the passenger side was where the compressor was placed but stayed pretty empty until the trip back. Anyways that's pretty much the pack out... It didn't seem super full and never was a hindrance because nothing was stacked on anything else. It was all one layer (I have to thank Stioc for the waterproof roof bag idea he gave me long ago, It is fantastic). Okay, its probably 11PM and we wanted to head out around 4AM so its time to sleep!
-
This is the only picture I have of the vehicle fully loaded
DSCF5320.jpg
-
The entire next day was spent driving. With the fully loaded pathy ready for a week long trip for two I was getting 19mpg average for much of the trip. The worst I saw was 16 during the climb over the summit around Breckenridge and Vail but that was to be expected. The best I got was 24 and I think my Pathfinder just likes 65 mph and Arizona flatlands. We Arrived in Grand Canyon National Park at around 430PM and headed straight to the campsite to set up and get ready for dinner.
-
DSCF5331.jpg
-
We were eating Kabobs in the dark and cold but that's alright. I was really surprised at how cold it was there. I suppose with nothing to hold the heat in it makes sense but I feel like the Spring is not the best time for the Grand Canyon. We may go back during the summer so we can see the North Rim and see some water but that remains to be seen. We stayed here for 3 nights and went on one 9 mile hike to a spot near the bottom of the canyon. The hike down was odd on the knees and the hike up made you love your calves (you change 2600 feet in the space of 3 miles). Being from a hiking background and pretty fit from the Army the hike was no problem... Stephanie did not have the best time coming back up. The view from out turn around point was something to be proud of though... I don't think Ive ever had lunch with a better view.
-
DSCF5396.jpg
This is what much of the hike consisted of. Smiles on the way down haha.
-
DSCF5406.jpg
View from the turn around point. Honestly I took a lot of pictures but they don't do this place justice. It is truly majestic to see something like this.
-
DSCF5351.jpg
View from the top. I have many similar shots if you are interested but one is enough for now
-
Stephanie had prepared many of the main dinner courses while I was at drill, she had some awesome fajitas and we found quesadillas to be an easy and tasty lunch food. We had some steak stew as well. Cooking with charcoal is pretty great when you get used to it. We always use Match-light coals and have great results. We bought firewood for the campfires at night to sit around and relax but all the cooking was done with the charcoal. Hot chocolate in the Stanley thermos is also a group favorite as we don't drink coffee. I made sure to pack my Monster Rehabs to get me going but I found that when I am out camping I wake up refreshed and ready to go even if I don't sleep as long as when I am home. Ill have to look into why but anyways... The general goods store the was located inside the park was having this huge 75% off sale for the first day of spring on the morning we were leaving so Steph made sure to get some nice coats and souvenirs from there. After spending the three nights at the campground and soaking in the view we loaded up the morning of the 20th and made for the Four Corners National Monument.
I have to head to work but will cover Four Corners and Utah tonight..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy

Members online