2010 Chevy AWD "VanGo"

sgosine

Observer
The Nerf Bar Bracket Fabrication saga...

hen we last left off I was going to have to become a welder guy, while I am learning and waiting for the MIG rig to arrive, I started the basic bracket buildout...
IMG_0233.jpgIMG_0232.jpgimage.jpgW

Last edited:

Accrete

Explorer
Accrete...some more info about a few aspects of your rig.
For starters:
1. Was wondering how the carbon fiber hood wrap has been holding up for you over time.
2. Very interested in the carpet you used I like the finish on it.

Hi sgosine,
On the Carbon Fiber hood wrap; we are 100% pleased. It honestly looks as nice ~30 months into use as the day we put it on. Our big question is what should we do come fall of 2013...The directions say it has a four year life, and three year release-life. So if i'm reading that right, by the book we should remove it come this fall...or else?? This might be a marketing ploy, i'm not sure.

On our carpeting for walls; we purchased marine grade carpet locally in Portland Oregon. I did some research for another builder and found the same item online at the link that follows. It has held up well. And to our surprise, it is the exact product the builder of our Parkliner fiberglass trailer used on walls/ceiling...so we match : ) We had Van Specialties redo our headlining recently and add a wall of cabinets on the street side. I need to upload a picture or two over at the build site. That said, our walls are still the _soft touch_ walls with the several layers of bubble foil insulation, and we are glad we went that way. Here is the link to product:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/sabemahu.html

You got some really fun tech going on in there!
Enjoy.
Thom

sgosine

Observer
Thom,

Thanx for the info, the removal thing seems like a disclaimer to me, if it still looks good id rock it till it didn't. I just recieved the white carbon fiber wrap for the hood from, Rvinyl, not sure if this is the same you used but any pointers as far as application or install best practices would definitely be appreciated! And pix of the new headliner and cabs would be awesome would love to see your current iteration!

PS love the trailer, how do you like the combo? How's Maneuverability? Decent mileage?

Accrete

Explorer
...the removal thing seems like a disclaimer to me, if it still looks good id rock it till it didn't...
...any pointers as far as application or install best practices would definitely be appreciated!
...And pix of the new headliner and cabs would be awesome would love to see your current iteration!

PS love the trailer, how do you like the combo? How's Maneuverability? Decent mileage?

Greetings : )
I'm sort of looking at that disclaimer as you are. Worst case, it takes some elbow grease and a heat gun to release it? No biggie.
OK onto tips for install...Biggest Tip? 3, yes THREE people to help put it on! Cari and i did it ourselves. Sometimes i wonder how we've made it 30 years of marriage. LOL. Some of these projects could have been deal breakers if you know what i mean!

I put up a couple images over at the build site on page 6...(didn't want to clutter your nice thread...LINK to pg 6) but here is a close up of the headliner, it has a nice look/feel to it. very rugged/durable:
TCLawdInteriorv2b.jpg

On the trailer? Well we luv it. But take in mind this combo is the result of ~30 years of living together and adventures on the road. This isn't an off road combo like our TACO was. Though as stated we are happy with our forestry & BLM campgrounds on fire roads etc.

The combo of having Bed & Bath in the van for night-time use is great (plus all our gear and ability to do-all-things in the van in pull out modules from under the bed platform if we don't want to take the trailer out for the day)...Plus having the Parkliner/trailer for daytime/evening entertainment/lounging + dinning and a nice shower/bath area. (The Parkliner _floorplan image_ can comfortably sleep two adults and two kids in the optional fold-away bunk bed _image_. Though our use is strictly for lounging/dinning/showers unless either of our two kids visit from their air bases).

Maneuverability? LOL. It's been two years since we pulled anything. She's got it down. I'm still a clutz :) She says it is fantastic...I think it is...but i need lots more practice. It can turn a u turn in a little over what the van would do normally, and she backs it up even into a perpendicular campsite like it is an extension of her. Me? Not So Much ;)

Millage? About 16 on the open road (~13 in town) with the 15 gallon fresh tank full and two weeks of gear in van and trailer. Not bad for home-on-the-road!

Best wishes,
Thom

Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
Summer updates

Hello all! figured its time for a little update on the VanGo transformation:

IMG_0961.jpg
Beginning the 18 hour prep work for the interior bedliner application
IMG_0972.jpg
Positioning my main floor sheet.
IMG_0992.jpg
Added AWD emblem

sgosine

Observer
IMG_1019.jpg

Completed 1st coat Herculiner undercoating.

IMG_1020.jpg

Really love the way this came out. solid prep-work is the key!

IMG_1054.jpg

Volara Strips all cut in
IMG_1056.jpg
Kilz primed Sub-floor
IMG_1064.jpg
Coin Flooring roughed in

Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
New additions:

IMG_0997.jpg

Got Windows Tinted and Light Bar attached

IMG_1025.jpg
Rocker panels coated with LineX

IMG_1026.jpg
Yakima Mega Warrior Roof Rack Replacing Surco rack

IMG_1027.jpg
Back view Rockers and Bumper

IMG_1028.jpg
Long View

IMG_1029.jpg
Rear LED's

IMG_1043.jpg
Fender flairs reinstalled

Last edited:

wanderbum

Really looking sharp! Are you still using the surco ladder as a side mount? I would love to see some more detailed photos of that mount.

sgosine

Observer
Really looking sharp! Are you still using the surco ladder as a side mount? I would love to see some more detailed photos of that mount.

I have actually moved away from that surco ladder it was kinda flimsy and did not seem well made (tolerances, finish) I decided that I could design a much better version as one of my first MIG welding projects. I plan on documenting the ladder construction in detail as well. Right now just looking for someone with the right pipe bending equipment to get started.

sgosine

Observer
Custom MOLLE Panels

Just received the sick custom fold -down Molle panels that I had made to fit rear doors. When up, they will hold MOLLE type storage pouches & atachments; when folded down they will provide 2 table/countertop type spaces.

IMG_1088.jpg
Really love these cant wait to use em!

sgosine

Observer
Finally completed the hole process for the switches. I thought it would be pretty tough little job; but it was not as bad as a I thought it would be. The plastic while thick, is a bit soft which was helpful.

IMG_1084.jpg
Real close to getting the dash back on just need to finish wiring the Aux lighting to the switches...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Just received the sick custom fold -down Molle panels that I had made to fit rear doors. When up, they will hold MOLLE type storage pouches & atachments; when folded down they will provide 2 table/countertop type spaces.

View attachment 172746
Really love these cant wait to use em!

That looks familiar! I added aluminum treadplate on the inside to cover the MOLLE straps and create a flat table space. Working on a way to keep the pins from rattling. Good stuff tho.

sgosine

Observer
Haha nice! That guy is awesome! Was comtemplating some thin plastic sheeting for the back side but the diamond plate in interesting for sure. Was thinking of switching out cordage for cable as well... How do you like yours?

sgosine

Observer
Double batts in the engine compartment

Been measuring and looks like i should be able to make it happen with a re tweaked battery tray. i have yellow and blue top batterys, i would like to run in series for aux lights, stereo etc until i get the solar and coach battery bank installed.

Was wondering if anyone has ever done it before...

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
I like it a lot, but the pins need to be replaced with something more secure as they rattled and fell out numerous times on my recent road trip. I also bought two 48"x18" panels for the rear of my van. Just need to figure out a mounting solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven