2010 Chevy AWD "VanGo"

BendErik

Thanks for the tip, but I'm going to stick with a used, full-size van.

I'd love to hear how your set-up works off-road. And am curious to see what you've got planned for the interior. Here in the Northwest, Outside Van is doing some interesting things, mostly with Sprinters. But they've also done a few Express vans, like this one.

Race_Ready.jpg

BendErik

No problemo! Stoked to contribute.

FYI I. Put an entry in the for sale area, there is a brand new AWD Safari @ Mcadden gmc dealership in boulder, it's a blank canvas but I saw it has the locking rear diff lemme kno if you wanna see some pix...

Thanks for the tip, but I'm going to stick with the Express.

I'd love to hear about how yours handles off-road. And I can't wait to see what you have planned for the interior.

Here in the Northwest, Outside Van is doing some interesting things, mostly with Sprinters, but they've done some AWD Express vans as well. (Sorry, no pix or links; every time I add those to a post I get the message that the post needs moderator approval - then they never appear.)

BendErik

Yes, the Savana is the same vehicle. I should have assumed that's what you meant, as I believe the Safari is no longer made. Regardless, I want to buy something used. I just found a loaded 2012 Express with 12K on it; haven't gotten a price yet, but I'm guessing it's more than I want to spend.

sgosine

Observer
Dang! My bad have no idea why i put safari instead of Savanna, thanx for catchin that! Fo sho, Used is the best way imo the 2012 sounds great! Hope you get it!!

Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
Ladder plate fab

Steel for the lower ladder weight distribution plates necessary to retro fit the surco ladder to a side mount.

IMG_0213.jpgIMG_2994.jpg
IMG_0234.jpg

Last edited:

Accrete

Explorer
Very nice build sgosine, have fun in the snow and trails!

Saw this and wanted to add my personal experience since i'm in the PNW/Oregon Coast area:
...Here in the Northwest, Outside Van is doing some interesting things, mostly with Sprinters, but they've done some AWD Express vans as well.

We had Outside vans' sister company = Van Specialties in Portland Oregon do the work on our Chevy AWD Express. So far they have installed a fiberine high top roof, fiama f45 awning, fantastic fan (all done in fall of 2010 when we bought the van new), and most recently a new interior upfit from our original DIY work. During this most recent project i contacted Outside Vans and they stated they were booked out at least 6 months and were focusing on Sprinters...and stated that Van Specialties could match any interior we saw on their older chevy AWD gallery rigs.

My wife and i are 100% pleased with Rob and his crew at Van Specialties.
Happy Trails,
Thom
accreteSigPL-Van.jpg

JDZ

Awesome build! Love the rims you chose, what are the details on those, same setback etc?
What do you have going on inside that cargo area these days?

sgosine

Observer
Accrete thank you for checking out the rig, I was going to Pm you soon to got some more info about a few aspects of your rig.
For starters:
1. Was wondering how the carbon fiber hood wrap has been holding up for you over time.
2. Very interested in the carpet you used I like the finish on it.

sgosine

Observer
Awesome build! Love the rims you chose, what are the details on those, same setback etc?
What do you have going on inside that cargo area these days?

Thanx JDZ! Those Rims are ADVANTI RACING - ROCCIA Matte Black, got em for less that 150ea as well, they are well built and really cost effective in my opinion and I believe thay are still available, pm me for deets if you like.
IMG_0619.JPG
They are 9" but they stick out just enough, with the fender flairs I feel it really gives it a nice stance.

As for cargo area...

sgosine

Observer
Inside:: Sound Barrier/Insulation

I have been working on the Sound Barrier/Insulation aspects this week and just completed the first phase of my layering system.

IMG_0883.jpg

One thing that I am very into (probably from my days hiking the AT trail) is weight to insulation values. as such I am employing a insulation system
a bit different from what I have seen posted. here's my approach:

Van wall- Lower Half:
[Dynamat Extreme
Radix (12mic/48ga Metallized film)
1/2' Foam Insulation (sheet)
1/8 birch Plywood
Formica]

image.jpg
I feel that this will give me great insulation/sound barrier that is very lightweight and easy to work with.
I have decided to run to long panels horizontally the lower half will be skinned with formica for easy cleaning and water proof protection in work/play situations, the upper sections will be finished with fabric or upholstery, haven't really fleshed out the final the upper covering materials yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
Inside:: Floor- Sound Barrier/Insulation

Because the wall, ceiling and floor have different needs/uses I am using a different approach for each of these areas.
For the Floor i wanted waterproofing and protection first and foremost, so I opted to seal the cargo floor with BedLiner as my first layer:

IMG_0222.jpg

Cargo flooring system:
G-floor coin rubber 2mm (perimeter,floated)
1/8" sub floor (bolted through floor to secure)
Volara strips (1/2"-1 thick) for grooves
Herculiner (Bedliner)
[VanGo floor]

Last edited:

sgosine

Observer
Rear Video Camera/ Third Brake Light

One of the things I have noticed is that many of the van builds are not as technically dialed in as I would like.
As I go through this build I am really looking to integrate many high tech additions all for function, and some fun!

IMG_0851.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0891.jpg

I have the cam wired so it can be turned on at any time in addition to automatically switching vid feeds when backing up.
It has Infared as well so it even works in the dark.

sgosine

Observer
Viper Security System+ Mobile Internet

Added the Viper 5904 Responder system, with remote start, GPS tracking, Lowjack, sys, Engine shut down anywhere in the world from any computer, and I added the programmable voice option so VanGo Talks now...

IMG_0228.jpg

Also added a Little 4G Jetpack to the mix so i have mobile internet/ network for up to 10 people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven