2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Jerry,

It was great seeing you as well. Never enough time. Switching from CB to 2 meter is like switching from albums to CDs or analog to digital. It is so much better in sound quality and distance possible for communications. I am mostly a vehicle to vehicle guy. As with most radio signals, land masses in the way can negatively effect range. But I have found the 2 meters to perform at least double and up to four or five times better in the same circumstances. And if you communicating high ground to high ground, it's not out of the question to get 10 or 20 miles out of it. My best distance so far is just over 25 miles from the top of a hill to a friend across a large valley. The test for a license isn't too bad now that Morse code isn't required. A little practice at the online tests, and you're good to go.

Cheers,

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Paul,

Thanks for the radio info. The vehicle to vehicle range is what I wanted to know. I was at a HAM radio shop today and after explaining my intended use, they showed me your exact radio! No trouble passing the online test as antiquated as it is, so I'm ready to take the real thing!

Last edited:

Equipt

Paul,
Haven't gotten an update yet on the new rubber. What say you?

That's a good point, I haven't. OK, so the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires have been on the truck now for roughly 12,000 miles. I've had a chance to do a good deal of long distance travel in rain, snow, gravel, dirt, rock, etc. And quite honestly, I am impressed. The hold the road at speed very well, and don't mind a heavy load. They manage bad weather like it's not there. They ply and grip well on trails. They are very quiet, and the wear well. As an BFG guy, I was expecting to be unimpressed, but that is not the case. I would definitely recommend these tires.

Cheers,

racehorse

Adventurer
Paul,
Wonderful write up. WATER - are you planning/musing over an install similar to your old rig with the Elgena tank/boiler?

Equipt

I had the pressurized hot water system in passenger rear clam shell. A monument to plumbing compactness. A very slick system that worked quite well. In the time I had it in there, a little over a year, I used it roughly half a dozen times. I was into it over $1K, and with the water tank it took up a tremendous amount of real estate inside the truck. Not a good return, at least for me. So I honestly doubt that is going to be my plan.

I will most likely stay with the vertical solution I came up with for the Roto Pak as a 4 gallon solution for the back. The passenger rear clam shell in the 4Runner can accommodate a 13 gallon water bladder, with integrated outlet facing the door. It would take up the bottom of the cabinet, and have a shelf set above it for misc storage. Since it is a bladder, it doesn't require venting. Gravity flow. It makes sense to have the water there, low and centralized in the vehicle.

For showering, I am leaning more towards the high tech/low tech Nemo Helio Pressurized Shower. It packs tight, and you can leave it in the sun for a solar shower or add hot water to it. And it is much lighter.

Cheers,

I had the pressurized hot water system in passenger rear clam shell. A monument to plumbing compactness. A very slick system that worked quite well. In the time I had it in there, a little over a year, I used it roughly half a dozen times. I was into it over $1K, and with the water tank it took up a tremendous amount of real estate inside the truck. Not a good return, at least for me. So I honestly doubt that is going to be my plan.

I will most likely stay with the vertical solution I came up with for the Roto Pak as a 4 gallon solution for the back. The passenger rear clam shell in the 4Runner can accommodate a 13 gallon water bladder, with integrated outlet facing the door. It would take up the bottom of the cabinet, and have a shelf set above it for misc storage. Since it is a bladder, it doesn't require venting. Gravity flow. It makes sense to have the water there, low and centralized in the vehicle.

For showering, I am leaning more towards the high tech/low tech Nemo Helio Pressurized Shower. It packs tight, and you can leave it in the sun for a solar shower or add hot water to it. And it is much lighter.

Cheers,

I love that Helio! If I didnt already have the Zodi I would be getting one. Much easier to store than the Zodi, but easier to heat the Zodi tank on the camp stove.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Paul,

The wife and I are starting the hunt for a new vehicle. We are leaning towards the 4Runner Trail which is why I enjoy this thread so much. One of the things we have talked about is the comparison between the Land Cruiser and 4 Runner Trail. Just curious... Comfort and Power versus Cost and Space seems to be the balance between choosing one over the other. Does your Land Cruiser experience lend you to think a reasonably equipped 4Runner could get itself out of anything the Land Cruiser could? Why or why not?

Our intended short term use would be family camping and traveling, moderate trails (aka no bouldering or such), and doubling as a part time daily driver.

Thanks!

Equipt

That is a very good question. I have been comparing this vehicle to my 100 Series since day one, mostly in my head, every time I get in it. I have narrowed my comparison down to two sentences. The best think about the 4Runner is that it is lighter. The biggest drawback to the 4Runner is that it is lighter.

The 4Runner Trail (all 5th gens actually) is only 3/4" narrower and 2" shorter than the 100 Series. It's about the same as an 80 with better leg room. True, it is smaller. But I am 6'4" and fit great in it. It's 850 lbs lighter, and the 4L V6 does great for it's size. I am getting 50% better gas mileage right now. And after over a year of driving it, I would say it is as capable at the 100 Series was. It has KDSS, rear locker, A-Trac, Crawl, up & down hill assist, yada yada. There are a couple buttons I really don't get to use much because I haven't needed them to accomplish the goal. If light trail is your plan, you will be more than prepared.

Now on the flip side, I can look at the truck funny and it scratches or dings. The Arizona pin striping is taking a toll on the exterior. All of the metal and paint on the 4 Runner is lighter and thinner than the Land Cruiser. The weight had to come from somewhere. I am seriously considering wrapping or repainting the truck with a paint worth a damn. That part is frustrating to me. The interior materials are lighter too. Console, dash, door panels, carpets, etc are all a lighter construction as well. A new Land Cruiser is $80K, a new 4Runner Trail is $40K. There are reasons. Lighter is lighter, what can I say.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the 4Runner Trail. It's a well made, very capable vehicle with performance characteristics very similar to the LC and much more efficient. I just don't beat on it a relentlessly as I did the 100.

Cheers,

Equipt

Powder Coated TE Wheels

Powder Coated Trail Edition Wheels

This spring has been absolutely hectic. I am about 60% complete on the wiring upgrades I am working on to power up the lights and compressor. With Expo coming up, I haven't had a chance to finish these. Just too much to do and to little Paul to do it. So, most will have to wait until after our year's biggest event. But I did have a chance to do something to the truck lately. I was going to be out of town on separate business for almost a week, so I arranged to get the wheels on the 4Runner and the Chaser powder coated a matte black finish while away. My truck looks like it visited east LA. Also here is a photo of the rims, post blackening.

4Runner on jacks.JPGWheels on pallet.JPG

I also ordered up a grundle of new Toyota black lug nuts too. They did get a couple scratches on the tire install. I didn't let them cure long enough I guess. I had to leave for Cruise Moab the next day. I think it turned out pretty nice. Definitely a different look on the vehicle now.

photo 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

What do you guys think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77