2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Paul,
Very nice platform set up. I really enjoy the way your 4Runner is evolving with you needs. Great job with keeping things looking factory and minimal holes!

Happy trails.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Thanks for the kudos. I am trying to do things as clean as I can.

I haven't had any issues with the 2 Meter mounted where it is. I had one on the 100 Series in the same place for years. Still there, as far as I know. Worked fine for my application. Is it optimal? Probably not. Each addition to the vehicle is a compromise of some type. Location, clearance, size, modification requirement, access etc. all go into the solutions chosen. You try to optimize the all these factors the best you can whether it's an antenna or a shovel mount.

Cheers,

Ramjet

Explorer
Yeah......about that shovel mount? j/k. Which way is your eezi awn opening. Driver side? Oh, yeah. Thanks for recommending me over to Mario at AT.

Narkhelek

What your rig really needs (my wife is constantly trying to educate me on the difference between a need and a want) is a snorkel. There is a group buy going on over at T4R.org for one ATM.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Equipt

I have the Shade 2 meter bag awning set up on the passenger side, so I open the Eezi-Awn to the driver side. When all deployed and the rear hatch is open, I have shade on three sides of the vehicle. Looks like a transformer.

What type of snorkel are they looking a getting? I wasn't aware one was available for the 5th Gen.

Cheers

Narkhelek

It's a fiberglass one made by a Taiwan company called FTS. All the regular (and not so regular) manufacturers have opted out of making one for the 5th Gen. No one in the states has stepped up to start importing the FTS snorkel. This group buy may literally be the only opportunity to get one for a 5th Gen for some time as I can't imagine FTS will continue to make something that no one has been interested in selling. FTS sells the snorkel for $300 but it costs $300 to ship it from Taiwan. The gentlemen in the thread below is an importer and is willing to import some and spread the shipping costs around.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/164189-fts-5th-gen-snorkel-install.html

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
My ARB bumper shows up on Monday...thanks for the lead, and documenting it.

Your build is coming along nicely!

Equipt

Well, just signed up for a snorkel on the T4R thread. It will be interesting to see one in person. Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

Equipt

Sleeping Platform

Sleeping Platform

Last weekend I had the opportunity of joining a bunch of like minded fanatical types in the middle of no where. The 2014 SoCal Desert Rendezvous was held southwest of I-10 and Blythe California Friday through Sunday. It was great to see some of our old friends out having a good time. As I was rolling solo on this overnighter, I thought it would be a great opportunity to try out the new drawer/cabinet system as a sleeping platform. Here are a few photos.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

The composite drawers allow enough height on top of them to sleep quite comfortably. With the passenger seat moved and tipped forward, I had just over 6'9" of length and 26"+ of width to lay out. My oversized air mattress and down bag fit perfectly. I could lay on my back and bend my knees upward with out hitting the roof too. I was interested to know if I would need an extension on the space forward of the clam shell cabinet to extend the platform full length. I honestly don't think so. I think it is just fine. As anyone over 6'3" tall will tell you, you get used to not having bed under your feet. So I think I am going to pass on that addition and fill the space for something more useful.

Cheers,

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Paul,

Great info on the radio. I'm currently starting my research. Do you use the radio mostly for car to car communications out on the road or trail and what kind of distance do you get on the road when not using repeaters? I don't really care about talking to someone in Antarctica or the space station, my main goal is car to car. CBs are great for that, but after about a mile distant or out of sight of other vehicles, the communication gets sketchy.

It was great seeing you at the Desert Rendezvous this weekend, wish we had more time to talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77