2013 Toyota 4Runner, Equipt Edition Build

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Now that is good question. Mario may already have something drawn out for the FJ, but I am not sure. He's pretty good and getting back with folks, and I am sure he would like to chat with you first. From our first collaboration to finish was roughly 2 weeks. That includes me cutting most all of our material, several after hour nights and an entire Saturday. We worked it around their full schedule. The trick is to get on his build schedule first. I would give him a call and see what he says.

Cheers,

Honu

lost on the mainland
curious how the mileage has been with the mods now ?

looking at a new rig FJ is to small these days with two kids two dogs trying to go camping and things is just a pain but with the Fj with ARB and tires and lift and things the mileage also is sucking :(

Wainiha

Explorer
Great build. I'd like to build my Tacoma in the expo style. More for tsunami/hurricane preparedness. We have no overlanding on Kauai.

Ramjet

Explorer
Now that is good question. Mario may already have something drawn out for the FJ, but I am not sure. He's pretty good and getting back with folks, and I am sure he would like to chat with you first. From our first collaboration to finish was roughly 2 weeks. That includes me cutting most all of our material, several after hour nights and an entire Saturday. We worked it around their full schedule. The trick is to get on his build schedule first. I would give him a call and see what he says.

Cheers,

Thanks Paul. I emailed hi and we are working on it now. Will update on separate thread.

Equipt

Thanks guys.

I think the mileage is great, but that is a relative question. My 100 averaged 10-11 depending on whether I was towing the Chaser around. Fully kitted in the 4Runner, I am getting 15 city and 16 highway. Kitted and towing the Chaser I am getting around 14.5-15 mpg. For me, that is 50% better gas mileage. A stock model gets in the low 20s on the highway, so all my stuff has adjusted the outcome about 25%.

Cheers,

Honu

lost on the mainland
thanks :) yeah not bad for all the stuff and its capabilites etc.. good to know

Thanks guys.

I think the mileage is great, but that is a relative question. My 100 averaged 10-11 depending on whether I was towing the Chaser around. Fully kitted in the 4Runner, I am getting 15 city and 16 highway. Kitted and towing the Chaser I am getting around 14.5-15 mpg. For me, that is 50% better gas mileage. A stock model gets in the low 20s on the highway, so all my stuff has adjusted the outcome about 25%.

Cheers,

Equipt

2 Meter Install

2 Meter Install

I installed the 2 Meter HAM radio equipment the other day. I chose this unit as a compact, cost effective solution that would mount discretely in the center console. I've owned Icom before, so there is very little learning curve on it as well. The radio model is a IC-2300H, and will do exactly what I need. Here is a couple photos of it installed in the console. Notice the groove that Toyota put in the front of the center console for cable recess for the mic line. It's as if they knew my plan.

photo 1.JPGCenter Console with 2 meter.JPG

I mounted an external speaker under the driver side dash, since the one on the unit was now stuffed in a box. I routed the speaker wire, power and antenna through the center console to the dash. Power will pick up here from a line off the switch aux relay/fuse block. The antenna is routed through the fire wall and terminated on a Diamond lip mount NMO, driver side hood. It is topped with a Comet whip. Here are a couple shots of the antenna

photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Now all I have to do is get power to the dang thing.

Cheers,

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Recent viewer, 20+ yr ham, and first time commenter. I want to start by thanking you for your attention to detail in documenting your build. I am hoping to get a 4Runner once I hit the lottery. Wife wants it as much as I do which helps. This has been hugely educational for a me, the non- mechanic. I am my grandfathers grandson ;)

So I am sorry to be critical of the build but that antenna and mount for this application is a huge issue. Consider it my bad upbringing (East Coast woods).

Drill the hole.

You are doing a phenomenal install that is rightfully commended and educational to us all avoid shortcuts on this piece.

Drill the hole.

The antenna requires a good ground. Clamp mounts and screwed in mounts (i.e 2 screwed on a bracket) do not offer that. Second, I've broken off antennas mounted on clamps. I've also had mag mount (see many on these forums) blow off on the highway with a small 2/440 antenna on it. Never mind when it hits a branch.

Consider NMO mount antennas. Weather/water/snow proof and sturdy. Never leak if done right with a quality mount like a Motorola or Larsen NMO. I use a Larson NMO 270 antenna with my truck 90% of the time wherever I go. Switch to another import with a low takeoff angle rarely if off away from good repeaters and I am familiar with their coverage.

You could drill into the hood or weld a bracket big enough for an NMO mount. Then run a base loaded antenna that flexes when hit.

Final thought. Look at where you might take this work of art and ask will that mount survive and save my life? You have a decent rig. It should survive abuse. Will the antenna and mount?

Look at http://www.k0bg.com for a great reference on mobile installs. Great site and great info source. Has a VHF page of relevance.

Just my 2 cents. Off my soap box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equipt

Thanks for taking the time to read my build thread. Much appreciated. And I also appreciate your comments on the antenna. I understand completely what you are saying about grounding and in-field antenna removal technique. I ripped my 2 Meter antenna off my 100 by reversing out of a dwindling jungle single track in Belize. Ended up tie wrapping the antenna to my windshield for the next 2 months to get home. I pride myself, deserved or not, in the minimal amount of holes I have put in this truck during the build. Only two so far, interior plastic panel power outlets for the fridge. Well, there was the part about cutting the front bumper in half. But other than that, all mounting has been to existing OEM locations. So, in light of that, I decided to try the Diamond mount to see if it's performance was up to snuff. It's an NMO mount with a fancy multi-angle articulation capacity, so I can align it vertically. If it works out, great! If not so much, then I will change to a more permanent solution as you suggest. Time will tell. A spring in the antenna would be nice. I'll have to research that a bit more.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
Anytime and thanks for your hard work and great documentation.

Don't need a spring just a simple base loaded whip. Larsen makes on. All the weight of the coil is at the mount. The radiator flops and flexes nicely.

Good luck and can't wait to learn more here!

Narkhelek

Why not just mount the antenna to the provided mounting points on the ARB bumper? That's what I've done with my CB and I get awesome range/reception. When I get my ham that's where the antenna is going.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Wainiha

Explorer
This antenna issue is of interest to me. I am looking at CBs but the issue is the same. My trails(driveway) is full of low hanging branches. The CB forums tell me mount the antenna on the roof, but that is a tall problem. Not sure how to solve that.

Also, after reading a little more, I wondered if I sould skip the CB and go with HAM.

Frdmskr

Adventurer
CB antennas (assuming 11m and not GMRS) are perfect on the bumper due to length and frequency. (Will spare the physics.) 2m aka VHF High Band is what he has. Need it up high because it'll mostly be line of sight. If mounted low you may not hit that distant repeater or hear your buddy at a distance.

Narkhelek

CB antennas (assuming 11m and not GMRS) are perfect on the bumper due to length and frequency. (Will spare the physics.) 2m aka VHF High Band is what he has. Need it up high because it'll mostly be line of sight. If mounted low you may not hit that distant repeater or hear your buddy at a distance.

That makes sense. However the ARB bumper antenna mounts are about as high as his hood mount would be and it's a more solid mount point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77