2014 Express AWD cargo van PNW 4 season camper

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
There was a small delay with the Hightop. I need to mail my fuel door to Van Specialties so they can make sure the paint matches perfectly. I'm a little bummed, I really wanted to have the top on before thanksgiving. We're going to head out to the Olympic Peninsula for some fishing and mushroom gathering. I feel so fortunate to live in the PNW and have so many opportunities to explore the backcountry within a few hours drive.

One thing my van didn't come with, that I really need, is rear windows that pop open. I looked at some passenger vans and it looks like an easy mod. I think I'd just need the glass and hardware from a wrecked van then get a new seal from the dealer. The hardware is riveted on.

There's a window with hardware on eBay right now for $155. I haven't called any junk yards looking for windows but this price seems high to me. The convenience is nice though, just a couple clicks and it shows up on my porch.

Any advice for me? Whose done this mod, is it as easy as it looks?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171375086228

Thanks!

FYI I picked up a rear window for my GM van for $35 from a local yard.
Check out car-part.com for a easy way to search a lot of yards.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Thanks for the quick replies.

$35 sounds right. I'll look on car-part today.

My dash switch is only for the heated mirrors right now. I wonder if the wiring is already there for the window defrost? If not, it would be easy to add it. I would love rear defrost. I can't see out the back at all in the mornings now.

Once my top is on, and the roof fan is in, opening the rear windows will allow some nice airflow through the van. I loved the roof fan on my syncro. It kept the inside temp low enough that I could leave my dog in there in the summer.

I bought the same fan for this van, the maxxfan delux. It has an adjustable thermostat and you can keep it open in the rain. It rains a lot here so that feature is a huge bonus.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_deluxe_remote.php

oPAULo

Jack of all terrain
That's the roof fan I want too. Popular choice.

Defrost mirrors?! I wonder if mine does that? Hmmmmm...

jdharrin

Observer
thanks for the detailed write-up on how to improve that seat swivel, can't believe you had to do that much work for something that supposedly fits the vehicle. I've been told this swivel from shop4seats bolts right in but there may be clearance issues depending on your door trim, more $$$ though.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
glad to see you got the swivel dialed in.

It's lame when you have to modify a product supposedly market ready.

But think of all the people who don't have skills and may be dealing with it as is?

it still saved you from designing one from scratch, and likely you now have something better than any other off the shelf unit (after your upgrade).

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Took the first camping trip with the seat swivel over the thanksgiving weekend and I was very happy to have it. The weather was much colder than we expected so we had a lot of "van time". The extra space was really nice.

We camped on the Makkah Reservation at Hobuck Beach on Friday night. We woke up to a special treat on Saturday morning, snow on the beach!
1d17a13c704b46fd05e743203335155a.jpg

I don't think I've ever been on a snowy beach. We only got an inch or two but man, it was cold!
9f5adf4691e8b5f17db6d485ad6c16a9.jpg

Right now the van is insulated with 3/4" eps foil faced foam and reflectix. We used the Mr. Heater to stay warm while awake but we turned it off before going to sleep. The van stayed warm enough inside that we were comfortable in a cheap 40 degree department store sleeping bag.

The next night was just as cold. We camped on the Clearwater river.
e4d492f3d6e0ec8837f6b5157b8fba99.jpg

Check out this giant spruce tree DNR cut out of the South Fork Hoh River campground. The inside was rotting so I'm guessing the cut it to prevent it from falling and killing some poor family.
869b6d33f54f8d4199cfd831b8f2b5c0.jpg

I'm hoping to have the Hightop installed within the next few weeks. I'm just waiting for Van Specialties to let me know it's ready. I can't wait to get started.

iridewheelies

Adventurer
Just dropped it off for the Hightop install.
f73438cf38ef0480667a82c1eee0835d.jpg

Here it is. Painted to match.

5adcea7d8b43fe85709e2d4f1016dc36.jpg

On a tour of the shop I saw these very high quality seat swivels. They sell for $250. I wish I'd have known about them before buying the discountvantruck pile of crap.
ded4a370af8617f4bf74e1e99437307d.jpg

Last edited:

iridewheelies

Adventurer
I'm not sure why the pics are sideways. These came straight from Van Specialties, I'll take more on Saturday when I pick it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven