2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon HeliNomad Build

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Today I installed a back up rear camera in the Jeep. It was pretty straight forward and interfaces really well with the MyGig on the UConnect 730N. My next AV step is to install a FLIR front camera.

IMG_1698.jpgIMG_1699.jpg

HeliNomad

Adventurer
Ummm. Why????

I hit a deer last year in a truck and it wasn't fun. I was talking to our FLIR aviation rep and he showed me the tech they are developing for the automotive industry that approximates some of the capabilities we enjoy in the helo and it sounded really cool. A warm body object shows up like a spot light even through dense foliage. The wide angle of these cameras are able to pick up some impressive things. The MyGig will automatically switch to a front camera once you drive faster then 7 mph if you want. Sounds like a cool idea. Here is the camera:

opplanet-flir-pathfindir-1.jpg

IKE2013

Observer
As cool as that is, My insurance deductible is cheaper!!!! LOL! Just kidding, but seriously.

It would be a cool feature for many other reasons than just deer, and I can see it moving to LE vehicles too. How great to make a traffic stop and see how many occupants are hiding in a car.

Sounds great.

HeliNomad

Adventurer
If you don't mind me asking, which camera did you use and what was the hook up procedure? I have a 14 JKUR with the 730N and was planning a back up cam in the very near future.

Sure. I had my local stereo shop install the MyGig into my 730N which gives you all the video interfaces and other features. Then I used an Alpine rear view camera (whichever the best one they had that matched my resolution) and mounted it to the pole on the AEV bumper. I grabbed power from the reverse light circuit behind one of the tailights. From there I ran the loom inside the stock wiring loom all the way to the firewall and then into the area behind the dash and into the video inputs on the 730N. The front camera will be easier.

LL247

Observer
Ah, forgot about having to install the MyGig, sounds pretty straightforward though. Think this might be worth tackling over the holiday, I appreciate the info.

Back-up cam eliminates trailer hook-up frustration and possibility of running over my dogs backing out of the driveway.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
As an alternative to the FLIR, you could just slam into the deer with that bumper and suffer no damage at all.

Just sayin ;)

SamM

Adventurer
As an alternative to the FLIR, you could just slam into the deer with that bumper and suffer no damage at all.

Just sayin ;)

Not really! I've seen what a deer will do to an AEV bumper and you'd be surprised. They're just made from stamped sheet metal. A deer took out a Jeep that was at local body shop recently. The hood, grill, core support, radiator, a/c condenser and the AEV bumper were all trashed.

SamM

Adventurer
My rifles will all have FLIR before my Jeep ever does! lol With that said, good job HeliNomad. Best build EVER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy