2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

I've read some comments from the proponents of V8 Taco over at TW, and their argument is there would only be a 1mpg difference. I've yet to see this in real life. Bunch of jokers over there.

Just an observation, but the 01-06 Tundras were essentially the size of our current Tacos, had a v8, and purported to only be 1 mpg worse in the city. Not sure if those factory numbers actually were accurate (and I'm not willing to sell my taco and get an old Tundra to find out), but perhaps the difference would not be much...

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ha ha! Told you I was in the low minority! Telling ya, go drive a Highlander down washboard road, it surprised me.

Or at the very least toss the linked coil sprung 4Runner rear-end in there.

They did do a manny T-Case...but auto trans. Loved that interior they did.

Can barely see the T-Case lever

6a00d83451b3c669e20120a5629c6e970b-800wi

thinking.gif
Hmmm, maybe a Ridgline is for you?
histerical.gif

That’s right! They did have a manual tcase on that rig! I forgot they did that on the SEMA truck. That is one truck they should have built! Put that front axle and tcase in the '16 and we would have a winner!

carbon60

Explorer
If it came with a 6' bed, I might consider it...curious about the redsign...the sketch looks more truck like.

Kinda dig the trunk.

A close friend that goes camping with me has an older Ridgeline. It's beautiful on the twisty washboard. But it's too wide for the tracks.

The trunk is very cool, but it prevents you from using a drawer system or platform.

A.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
IIRC, in 2009 Toyota asked for a loan (bailout) from Japan.

Everything is so intertwined any more it is hard to get away from it.

I dunno, if Ford brought over the Ranger. I would consider going with a Ford. Since Toyota doesn't really do super stripped
down model any more. Ford might...

ford-ranger.jpg

I was somewhat hopeful that the world ranger might show up until I saw the battalion of transit and transit connect models you can order...I figure that Ford is betting on the tradesmen buyers over the aging weekend home depot warriors/odd bunch like us who want a "small" truck...heck I am even thinking van (sprinter/transit/NV) when I replace my tacoma...just want that walk in stand up room...I'm thinking 4runner trail and sprinter 2wd will cover the bases:smiley_drive:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm not all that partial to live axles and don't hate on IFS, but I would not like to see a IRS truck. It's already enough of a PITA to upgrade the suspension on a Tacoma. I don't want a ton of lift, really an inch or two to just bring everything up a little bit (I get ticked when I bump my head on junk doing maintenance) and increase the load capacity a bit. When you do a pretty reasonable upgrade, like OME 885 coils, you generally have to consider replacement upper control arms or push the limits of ball joints and alignment. Doing this on the back just doesn't strike me as fun. I don't need to build a Trophy truck with all custom suspension bits. OTOH, at least with fixed diffs you don't have to worry about driveshaft vibration. CV joints might grenade, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
I was somewhat hopeful that the world ranger might show up until I saw the battalion of transit and transit connect models you can order...I figure that Ford is betting on the tradesmen buyers over the aging weekend home depot warriors/odd bunch like us who want a "small" truck...heck I am even thinking van (sprinter/transit/NV) when I replace my tacoma...just want that walk in stand up room...I'm thinking 4runner trail and sprinter 2wd will cover the bases:smiley_drive:

Ford probably wants all of the fleet pickup guys in their new vans. They might have to quit boasting that the F150 is Americas best selling truck though. ;)

I like the Euro vans, they are just too expensive to convert to 4WD for me, what I need out of a recreational off pavement vehicle would have to be similar to the capabilities of a Tacoma. For me it is cheaper and easier to get factory built 4WD pickup and popup camper of some sorts. Think the shortest wheelbase Sprinter you can get currently is a 144, so the same as a DCLB Taco. Shortest Transit is 129...close to ACLB Taco...who knows when a 4WD conversion will be ready for a Transit.

This is close, fits the needs and desires but also around $100K...that is if you can get built it here. The 4WD conversions I have seen are either too low ground clearance or solid axle.

4x4_iglhaut.jpg

This is not very promising...(and for the coin you have to spend just to get it)

I'm not all that partial to live axles and don't hate on IFS, but I would not like to see a IRS truck. It's already enough of a PITA to upgrade the suspension on a Tacoma. I don't want a ton of lift, really an inch or two to just bring everything up a little bit (I get ticked when I bump my head on junk doing maintenance) and increase the load capacity a bit. When you do a pretty reasonable upgrade, like OME 885 coils, you generally have to consider replacement upper control arms or push the limits of ball joints and alignment. Doing this on the back just doesn't strike me as fun. I don't need to build a Trophy truck with all custom suspension bits. OTOH, at least with fixed diffs you don't have to worry about driveshaft vibration. CV joints might grenade, though.

I like stock height, would only do higher end coil overs. Upgrading is easy compared torsion bar. I can swap out coil overs in under an hour. I tend to drive a lot of wash board roads...was little shocked that my stepdad's Highlander did better down them my modded Tacoma. Heading out today to go explore more of the Owyhees.

An IRS Tacoma will probably never happen....though the heated steering wheel crowd may demand it, so you never know. :)

A close friend that goes camping with me has an older Ridgeline. It's beautiful on the twisty washboard. But it's too wide for the tracks.

The trunk is very cool, but it prevents you from using a drawer system or platform.

A.

I know a lot of people dog on the Ridgeline, it does greta down fireroads...which I think is what the majority of the people on here do. Including myself, I save the real gnarly stuff for the cycles, and my hiking shoes.

I use the crap out of my crap truck for other things, drawer and platforms don't work for me.

Last edited:

Franco

carbon60 said:
A close friend that goes camping with me has an older Ridgeline. It's beautiful on the twisty washboard.
Clutch said:
I know a lot of people dog on the Ridgeline, it does greta down fireroads...which I think is what the majority of the people on here do. Including myself, I save the real gnarly stuff for the cycles, and my hiking shoes.

I'm glad that this topic came up. I would really like to see midsize trucks start to use coils for the back, especially considering the trend to market the new Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon twins as "lifestyle" trucks, not little work horses. Ram has shown that it can be done, and Toyota has experience with the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner rear suspensions on the Prado platform.

Most of us use these trucks as daily drivers, get to trails using paved roads, and drive at speed on unimproved dirt roads the majority of the time. Coils would be a lot better.

The Honda Ridgeline is a good vehicle. I know two guys that own them, and couldn't be happier.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I'm glad that this topic came up. I would really like to see midsize trucks start to use coils for the back, especially considering the trend to market the new Tacoma and Colorado/Canyon twins as "lifestyle" trucks, not little work horses. Ram has shown that it can be done, and Toyota has experience with the FJ Cruiser and 4Runner rear suspensions on the Prado platform.

Most of us use these trucks as daily drivers, get to trails using paved roads, and drive at speed on unimproved dirt roads the majority of the time. Coils would be a lot better.

The Honda Ridgeline is a good vehicle. I know two guys that own them, and couldn't be happier.

Have you seen how many parts are in a IFS/IRS. It's cheaper to do leaf/solid axle. Plus you loose your load capacities with coil.
Have you not seen how loaded up guys with tacos do. Camper shell. Full of gear. RTT and so on.

Plus people do still use tacos as work horses and a lot of companies buy base model tacos loaded with work gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass
Have you seen how many parts are in a IFS/IRS. It's cheaper to do leaf/solid axle. Plus you loose your load capacities with coil.
Have you not seen how loaded up guys with tacos do. Camper shell. Full of gear. RTT and so on.

HiLux frame and 80 series rear suspendy bits. Parts bin truck, engineering is already done and proven. ;)

80 series has a payload of 1620 lbs, current Taco hovers around 1300 lbs (depending on cab bed configuration )
4Runner's is 1496-1700 lbs. So going to coil on a Tacoma you wouldn't loose much if any payload, if you engineered it right.

4-Slee-Off-Road-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-80-Series-7-3-12.jpg

Last edited:
Current 4 Runner payload is 1700 lbs, week coil sysytem. I hope the new Taco has a 1700 lbs payload that way I can put a pop up camper in it.

DVexile

Adventurer
Current 4 Runner payload is 1700 lbs, week coil sysytem. I hope the new Taco has a 1700 lbs payload that way I can put a pop up camper in it.

Well they did talk about cutting weight out of the chassis with added high strength steel, but as the current Tacomas once outfitted with a TRD OR and Tow package only have payloads around 1100 lbs it would seem gaining 600 lbs of payload is a stretch. The Colorado/Canyon which just straight up lie about their payloads don't even get that high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner