2015/2016 New 3rd gen Tacoma Debut in Detriot

Franco

Have you seen how many parts are in a IFS/IRS. It's cheaper to do leaf/solid axle. Plus you loose your load capacities with coil.
Have you not seen how loaded up guys with tacos do. Camper shell. Full of gear. RTT and so on.

Whoa, who said anything about anything about IRS? I'm talking about coil springs versus leaf springs, that doesn't require going away from a solid axle.
Speaking of capacities, have you seen the extremely weak leaf springs on newer Tacomas? I believe there was even a TSB to replace them, and many have also put in stiffer springs or AAL. A poor leaf spring setup is not better than a good coil spring setup in regards to capacities. Besides, you think that the current Tacoma payload is good?! We wouldn't lose anything in that department by going away from leaf springs.

Then there's the fact that it is a LOT easier to have better handling and ride characteristics at speed with coil springs.

toyotech said:
Plus people do still use tacos as work horses and a lot of companies buy base model tacos loaded with work gear.

Sure there are some, but they are in the minority. Given that Toyota will be increasingly marketing this as a lifestyle truck (meaning less work oriented and will probably move upmarket a little), I'd like to request coil springs.

HiLux frame and 80 series rear suspendy bits. Parts bin truck, engineering is already done and proven. ;)

Exactly! Toyota has the parts, has used it on the platform in other applications, and has done all of the engineering. Sure, they would have to massage the packaging to make it work with the truck bed, but they're not starting from scratch.

Ok, interesting question--especially for those that are less than happy with what they've seen so far. Who created this new Tacoma? Toyota or consumers?

Toyota makes the Tacoma in a way that it believes best suits potential buyers, in order to maximize sales. Truth is that the average consumer for the Tacoma is different than the average consumer for the Hilux. Now while I do wish that the average consumer in the U.S. was after something like the Hilux, so that I could buy one, I can't fault Toyota for solid business sense and selling a truck that people want. Even if those people should just buy a Highlander that'll suit their needs even better and just leave the darn truck segment alone...

They removed bumpers, center consoles, seats and damn near everything else when measuring curb weight so they could publish BS payload figures.

Yes, they used the lightest variation of the truck (regular cab, short bed, etc) with all the options that are conducive to payload and towing numbers, but no other extras, and used a single 150 lb adult as the driver. It has been going on for a while, and many companies were involved, some more than others. I'm just happy that SAE's J2807 standardized tow ratings are starting to pick up steam. When it was introduced not one of the Big 3 stepped up, saying that they would adopt the standard if the others did first, or that they would adopt the standard when they redesigned their trucks. It was completely gutless, and they knew how much their inflated numbers would fall. Toyota was the first to step up with the Tundra.

p nut

butter
Toyota makes the Tacoma in a way that it believes best suits potential buyers, in order to maximize sales. Truth is that the average consumer for the Tacoma is different than the average consumer for the Hilux. Now while I do wish that the average consumer in the U.S. was after something like the Hilux, so that I could buy one, I can't fault Toyota for solid business sense and selling a truck that people want. Even if those people should just buy a Highlander that'll suit their needs even better and just leave the darn truck segment alone...

Right. Toyota physically made the truck, but it was derived from what the bulk of the consumers wanted. In essence, the consumers created the truck. Most of them could probably buy a Subaru Baja (RIP) and be just fine.

Clutch

<---Pass
I thought the frame reinforcement plates took care of flex issues. I can't find it now, but there were some that actually welded on a plate on the INSIDE to fully box the frame. Not sure how much of a difference it made.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/frame.html

I think it was Trail Gear that offered an inner kit. I am sure there are others.

Found this on TW: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/217479-nathans-long-travel-build-2.html

I wonder how close the HiLux frame dimensions are to the Tacoma...some of it looks darn similar. Wonder if you could plop a Tacoma body on a HiLux frame is what I am wondering...not that it it would be cost effective, but "if" it could be done, and how many of the bolt holes would line up out of curiosity.

p nut

butter
I think it was Trail Gear that offered an inner kit. I am sure there are others.

Found this on TW: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/217479-nathans-long-travel-build-2.html

I wonder how close the HiLux frame dimensions are to the Tacoma...some of it looks darn similar. Wonder if you could plop a Tacoma body on a HiLux frame is what I am wondering...not that it it would be cost effective, but "if" it could be done, and how many of the bolt holes would line up out of curiosity.

I'm thinking too many man hours and fab work, as I can't see things lining up that well. But who knows? I will morally support you 110% if (when?) you decide to tackle it. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
In essence, the consumers created the truck.

I agree with that...why the 3rd gen has even more gee-gaws on it, and the basic base model really isn't all that basic anymore. Only thing manual still available is the transmission.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm thinking too many man hours and fab work, as I can't see things lining up that well. But who knows? I will morally support you 110% if (when?) you decide to tackle it. :D

LOL!

Would at least like to take a CAD drawing and over lay the two...just to satisfy some curiosity.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Whoa, who said anything about anything about IRS? I'm talking about coil springs versus leaf springs, that doesn't require going away from a solid axle.
Speaking of capacities, have you seen the extremely weak leaf springs on newer Tacomas? I believe there was even a TSB to replace them, and many have also put in stiffer springs or AAL. A poor leaf spring setup is not better than a good coil spring setup in regards to capacities. Besides, you think that the current Tacoma payload is good?! We wouldn't lose anything in that department by going away from leaf springs.

Then there's the fact that it is a LOT easier to have better handling and ride characteristics at speed with coil springs.

Sure there are some, but they are in the minority. Given that Toyota will be increasingly marketing this as a lifestyle truck (meaning less work oriented and will probably move upmarket a little), I'd like to request coil springs.

Exactly! Toyota has the parts, has used it on the platform in other applications, and has done all of the engineering. Sure, they would have to massage the packaging to make it work with the truck bed, but they're not starting from scratch.

Yes, they used the lightest variation of the truck (regular cab, short bed, etc) with all the options that are conducive to payload and towing numbers, but no other extras, and used a single 150 lb adult as the driver. It has been going on for a while, and many companies were involved, some more than others. I'm just happy that SAE's J2807 standardized tow ratings are starting to pick up steam. When it was introduced not one of the Big 3 stepped up, saying that they would adopt the standard if the others did first, or that they would adopt the standard when they redesigned their trucks. It was completely gutless, and they knew how much their inflated numbers would fall. Toyota was the first to step up with the Tundra.

Springs are far superior to the leaf set up all that I read around them is that for service life and reliability the spring has a much better cycle and durability rate than the leaf. I recall being told that is one of the primary reasons you see spring suspension on larger heavier passenger SUV's like the Gwagen, Land Cruiser and even the military applications like the Hummer etc. The leaf approach is just simple and cheaper to do but it has its down sides also. That was one reason I found it really interesting Dodge started to offer the spring set up on the rear end for their trucks. When sprung properly for the weight the spring set up is just as good along with the improved cycle life etc.

Leaf is good on pickups given its fairly cheap to add a leaf and bump your weight hauling ability but these days air bags are just as good if not better applications in some cases if your only needing to increase your load holding ability on an occasional use vs all the time etc. Campers that stay put on the truck getting beefier leafs or springs makes perfect sense KISS no leaky air bags to worry about however pull the camper and now you have a truck that rides like a damn 1800's buck board.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
LOL!

Would at least like to take a CAD drawing and over lay the two...just to satisfy some curiosity.

They look pretty close to me.

The body mounts look very similar to me, among other things.

All the differences I see are related to improving ride comfort over the Hilux, at the expense of payload capacity. C-channel rear frame vs. boxed, outboard rear shocks vs. inboard/opposed...

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Oh no!!! People are having conversations!!! On a discussion forum no less...

The discussion on c channels has been done and beat. You're just late. Once again, c channel is not weak. I ask you why, every single heavy duty truck manufactured in the world is c channel and light duty trucks have boxed frames? So please stop bringing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clutch

<---Pass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner