2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

dman93

Adventurer
By the way, doesn't the ZR2 offer a full-time 4wd mode with open center diff but front axles driven (maybe all Colorado/Canyons?) that the Tacoma doesn't have? That is actually a big advantage I think, when combined with the diesel mpg.

9 ways TO LOCKER IT

From what I can see there are 9 ways to use the diff lots and tHe center locks That is impressive. NoTHing has tHat much adaptability as far as I know

superbuickguy

Explorer
By the way, doesn't the ZR2 offer a full-time 4wd mode with open center diff but front axles driven (maybe all Colorado/Canyons?) that the Tacoma doesn't have? That is actually a big advantage I think, when combined with the diesel mpg.

I used to mock and convert FT 4x4s into PT 4x4s. I have an H3 Hummer as my DD it's AWD and can be 4x4. In Seattle, with all the hills and rain - awd makes a tremendous amount of sense. My biggest issue was mpg because you'd get a solid 2-3 mpg better with the conversion. I'm not sure that's true anymore, my wife has a 2014 Jeep Rubicon (that has a 2 hi) and I compare it to my prior 5 cyl H3 - about the same power, space, etc... the H3 got better mileage - that's even with my wife who drives far less aggressively as the driver of the Jeep.

I love the new Colorados, but I just can't motivate myself to pay the dollars for a new one (or new anything for that matter) so it will be awhile before I own one.

9 is impressive... I'd have to count on my H3 - but it'd be close however, my lockers are switch activated (bypassing the BCM)...

superbuickguy

Explorer
Hmmmm.... now the math

I have electric lockers that are controlled outside the computer.

Open Open Open
Open lock Open
Open lock lock
lock open open
lock open lock
lock lock lock

18 because there is 4 lock and low lock as well.... this isn't a discussion of how useful some of those would be - just the options.

Bobzdar

Observer
I'd think even given a 5k lb tow rating, actually towing the max load would be a chore. I've done that in an older Xterra. Not a fun trip.
_
While I agree a truck should be a truck, there are many other reasons people choose a truck platform. "Trucks" like the Wrangler and say, a Tacoma TRD Pro (meager 1,100lb payload), are targeting a whole different audience than those that depend on their truck for work. Others for towing their 12k lb yacht and other toys. It's like saying a "boot should be a boot." _
_
Wrangler truck will serve its purpose, but again, not on the towing/payload front.

I towed 4300lbs in a new v6 Grand Cherokee. It did fine and actually had more pulling power than my half ton due to it's 300+hp and 8 speed automatic vs. the same power in my pickup with only a 4 speed auto. The ratios on the GC work out to it using 6 gears when towing where my pickup only uses 3 and it's always in the correct rpm range making it much easier to tow with and stressing the engine less. That same drivetrain in the comparatively longer wheelbase 4 door Wrangler or truck should do even better than the GC did, so I'd have zero reservations towing with it.

In any case, 5000lbs with 1200lbs payload is cutting it close for me where the z71 isn't. But, for it to be worth me ditching my Jeep, I'd want the lockers, which don't come in the z71. I'm hoping the Wrangler pickup can do GC levels of work, which really doesn't seem very much to ask considering it has the beefier full frame, longer wheelbase and the same drivetrain and should weigh around the same. Even 5500lbs would be enough for me and most others with smaller travel trailers to be comfortably within the tow rating.

The only reason I really bring it up is I know there are a ton of travel trailers that come right in that 4000lbs-5000lbs range empty, so they would be limiting their market being much under 5500lbs. I know the GC I drove in question was bought specifically because it could tow over 5000lbs without issue. All it took to be ready to tow comfortably was a $100 brake controller (it was pre-wired so just a plug under the dash) and a $200 weight distributing hitch to level it out.

Now there is a possibility that that 5000lbs zr2 rating is without a WD hitch and it goes higher if you equip it with one. I know the GC is that way - it's rated 5000lbs without WD and 6200lbs with it. I think the GC would be scary at 5000lbs without a WD hitch, but with it it's no sweat.

dman93

Adventurer
My first two and last two 4wds were traditional part timers. In between I had two with AWD capability (in high range) and it was super handy. I haven't had my new Taco on snowy roads yet, or rather constantly changing clear to snow conditions, and I think I'll miss the AWD then.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
That's where the manufacturers miss the mark IMO. Things like the e-lockers should just be another checkmark on the options list for any model in the lineup.

I was just looking at Full Size heavy duty trucks from the different manufactures, and Ford does exactly this. When "building" a 4x4 on their web site you chose ratio, and whether or not to get an e-locker.
So simple, and yet I didn't see that on any of the other sites.

p nut

butter
I was just looking at Full Size heavy duty trucks from the different manufactures, and Ford does exactly this. When "building" a 4x4 on their web site you chose ratio, and whether or not to get an e-locker.
So simple, and yet I didn't see that on any of the other sites.

Tacoma/4Runners used to have that option as well. Any (or most) trim, add on an e-locker. Best thing about the Ford is that it's a no-cost upgrade.

Stryder106

Explorer
The problem is the dealer channel for selling vehicles, at least in the US. Impulse buy, use financing, etc so the dealers have to stock what they think will sell AND make money. Whereas if you could buy direct from the manufacturer, modern computerized configuration tools and build-to-order supply chains would make it easy to get what you want. Kinda like Dell's model for building PC's when they were still assembled on-shore 15 years ago.

It isn't that simple and you can't compare a consumer pc supply chain to a heavy industry supply chain (select portions of it - yes). A lesson found out the hard way when they tried to do exactly that with Saturn. But, I agree to a point - if the options are available, they should be orderable so long as it's a valid configuration. You might just need to wait a long time to get it - again for a multitude of reasons - all of which are cost driven.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Tacoma/4Runners used to have that option as well. Any (or most) trim, add on an e-locker. Best thing about the Ford is that it's a no-cost upgrade.

The elocker selection is when you choose the gear set. The same gear without elocker is cheaper so I think it does have a cost although it's really cheap.

p nut

butter
PJ - you're right. When you build, they do cost more (I think around $500). However, when I was shopping existing new inventory, there was no price difference on ones with or without e locker. I wish all manuf had this option, especially for that cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal