2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clutch

<---Pass
View attachment 384724

Should manufacturers really be encouraging this sort of deviant behavior with shifter paddles when they are doing everything possible to otherwise neuter pickups to prevent them from being, well, trucks?

Well...the manual trans is all but dead, might as well go all the way! :D Don't care for the Chevy's thumb button on the shift lever for manual mode, Toyota does execute it a little better that the whole lever becomes the shifter. But alas...manual shift auto trans are more of a novelty. Drove my buddy's VW Sportwagon for a day...played with the shifter for a bit....then got bored and left it in full auto. That day just reaffirmed what I already knew...don't really like cars nor automatic transmissions. :)

If you want a "real" truck...buy a van... :D ;)

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/why-the-2016-mercedes-metris-laughs-at-your-luxury-truc-1709898144

Last edited:

p nut

butter
Both of my auto's have manual mode. I never use them. Especially the Ford's, since it's this cheesy toggle switch on the shifter.
_
The only time it has come in handy is driving down a steep, slippery hill. I could've also shifted to 1st or 2nd lockout, so in reality, the thing does absolutely nothing for me.
_
Regarding paddle shifters, I actually do like that the paddles turn with the wheel. It makes it easier to find for me. Again, not that I've ever used it (well, maybe once).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I agree, having the ability to select gears with an auto is useful. Downshifting for engine braking, perhaps selecting 2nd gear on ice, locking in 1st, etc. I would absolutely detest having no ability to control the selection.

It's just those silly paddle flappers that make you think your Camry could run Monaco with Sebastian Vettel. Why?

p nut

butter
I agree, having the ability to select gears with an auto is useful. Downshifting for engine braking, perhaps selecting 2nd gear on ice, locking in 1st, etc. I would absolutely detest having no ability to control the selection.

It's just those silly paddle flappers that make you think your Camry could run Monaco with Sebastian Vettel. Why?

Why not? :D
nascar-1.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Both of my auto's have manual mode. I never use them. Especially the Ford's, since it's this cheesy toggle switch on the shifter.
_
The only time it has come in handy is driving down a steep, slippery hill. I could've also shifted to 1st or 2nd lockout, so in reality, the thing does absolutely nothing for me.

Think about the only time I would use it, would be for when it is loaded down. Autos for me, never seem to be able to find the right gear for that. Rented a 26' diesel bobtail for the move...the auto kept on hunting for the right gear...I often had to help the truck find it. Which was terribly clunky. Where-as the action seems smoother with a manual trans to me...probably because it is second nature to me, since I have been driving manuals for the past 30 years.

p nut

butter
I've used the "Towing" mode on the F150. Only towing 5k lbs, but it seemed to do ok. Never really had to touch the brakes on steep descents. Now with the new 10-sp's, I'd imagine it would even be better. But who knows.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've used the "Towing" mode on the F150. Only towing 5k lbs, but it seemed to do ok. Never really had to touch the brakes on steep descents. Now with the new 10-sp's, I'd imagine it would even be better. But who knows.

Had that truck loaded to its' maximum. (which is a miserable thing to do, I don't like doing that, but we had to, had one shot, gotta do what you gotta do) That International was kinda quirky, IIRC you had to push a button then you could move the lever, to shift it manually, which kept on disengaging after a certain speed...or something like that. I was very annoyed with the whole process. Kept on thinking...just give me a manny (like our old work trucks) so I can just leave it 3rd to climb this grade.

Think if you don't max the truck out, the trans should be fine. It is when you do, you find out how well or poorly the truck actually performs. (makes me think of all of the over loaded vehicles on here ;) )
Today's autos shift incredibly smooth...all of the new trucks I have test driven...could barely tell when they shifted...they were unloaded...but I was impressed.

Tell ya....it reminded me why I started buying little Toyotas, to get a break from our driving construction vehicles all day long....think traveling around in an Earthroamer, Unicat, or the like would not be very pleasant. Too big for my taste...like the Toyotas, because they are car-like. Today's neutered pickups aren't necessarily a bad thing. Other than preferring manual transmissions, I like all of the "modern" conveniences...like power steering, door locks, windows, AC, auto hubs or ADD in the Tacoma's case... etc....now living in a cold climate again kinda wishing we had remote start on our vehicles to warm them up before I have to go to work.

10498226_10152619460064630_1523248121095650589_o.jpg

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I do daydream about buying a "real truck" of the '70-80's vintage. But if I'm honest, I don't mind the "transgender" trucks of today. :D It was near 0 deg last weekend. Thank you, seat warmers!

DaveInDenver

I do daydream about buying a "real truck" of the '70-80's vintage. But if I'm honest, I don't mind the "transgender" trucks of today. :D It was near 0 deg last weekend. Thank you, seat warmers!
For all the grief I have to admit to reluctantly agreeing. I've had old trucks and there are plenty of things I don't hate about my Tacoma. Today, well, it's mostly just irritating the amount of plastic they feel inclined to use inside to make what I can only guess is to meet some perceived touchy-feely "environment". If there is one thing I hate it's rattles and squeaks and all those materials get me to pull out my hair. A zip tie there to contain a wire bundle that moves slightly in warm weather, a screw here to hold a edge that fits poorly in cold weather. Ugh. Why do they have to stylize everything so much?

Clutch

<---Pass

So do I....think ooooh I want that!...then think...no, no....no I don't. Cool looking, but that is about it. They were pretty barbaric compared to the road couches we have now-a-days. Today's trucks have more power, more efficient, & waaaay more comfortable. Great for pounding out mile after mile on trips.....or dealing with a boring commute.

Went and looked at a 70's F250 over the summer, mang...forgot how much those things sucked. ;) Sometimes nostalgia is best left int he past.

For all the grief I have to admit to reluctantly agreeing. I've had old trucks and there are plenty of things I don't hate about my Tacoma. Today, well, it's mostly just irritating the amount of plastic they feel inclined to use inside to make what I can only guess is to meet some perceived touchy-feely "environment". If there is one thing I hate it's rattles and squeaks and all those materials get me to pull out my hair. A zip tie there to contain a wire bundle that moves slightly in warm weather, a screw here to hold a edge that fits poorly in cold weather. Ugh. Why do they have to stylize everything so much?

To be honest...the old Toyotas were pretty plasticky....sure they had metal bumpers and whatnot...but they were paper thin. Drive trains were bomber, the bodies left a lot to be desired.

DaveInDenver

To be honest...the old Toyotas were pretty plasticky....sure they had metal bumpers and whatnot...but they were paper thin. Drive trains were bomber, the bodies left a lot to be desired.
The sheet metal served it's purpose, to keep most of the mud and snow off the passengers. It wasn't fancy and you're 100% right, it was thin. But my old '91 was still rattle-free inside (and mostly outside) 'til the day I sold it. And I had that dash board apart dozens of times. It was simple so that wasn't opening a Pandora's box.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@straps57

It has both full time 4x4 as well as "AWD" In full time 4x4 there is no disengaging of the front wheels.

I know that, but what I think a ZR2 have is a part-time 4wd system, with an auto option that engages the front wheels as needed (wet, ice, snow etc)
Full-time 4X4 and All Wheel Drive is the same thing.

Clutch

<---Pass
The sheet metal served it's purpose, to keep most of the mud and snow off the passengers. It wasn't fancy and you're 100% right, it was thin. But my old '91 was still rattle-free inside (and mostly outside) 'til the day I sold it. And I had that dash board apart dozens of times. It was simple so that wasn't opening a Pandora's box.

All of the Toyotas I had the 85, 92, and the 99 rattled one way or another. Think the 85 4Runner had the most plastic of all of them. Remember the early pre-84 pickups had single wall beds...horrible for hauling. Huge difference from the 70's American trucks I came from...you could go to the quarry and get a load of gravel dumped in by a loader without too much worry.

Clutch

<---Pass
@straps57

I know that, but what I think a ZR2 have is a part-time 4wd system, with an auto option that engages the front wheels as needed (wet, ice, snow etc)
Full-time 4X4 and All Wheel Drive is the same thing.

speaking of modern conveniences

That is one thing I wish I had in the Tacoma...an AWD option for this time of year....lots of patchy ice/snow out there now. I am constantly pulling it in and out of 4WD...would nice if it just did itself. IIRC...the GMC upper trim models have that, but the Chevy doesn't? Correct me if I am wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal