2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

p nut

butter
Yeah, my old neighbor had one. Too urban blingy for me. Same with the Toyota Venza.

I love more of the utilitarian look, which I think those old wagons had. Same with Transit Connect.

2013-ford-transit-connect-cargo-van-xlt-siderear-door-glass-trunk.png

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, my old neighbor had one. Too urban blingy for me. Same with the Toyota Venza.

I love more of the utilitarian look, which I think those old wagons had. Same with Transit Connect.

Yeah don't care for the looks, but it is AWD, lotsa power, and pretty big on the inside. Do what the rednecks do and give it a Real Tree Camo wrap...and there you go! :D

The Connects aren't bad... always think...it is too inbetween in size, think you're better off just getting a van. Mini or Fullsize.

I like the Mercedes Metris, good price point at $25K...like the Volvo, have to get parts from the dealer, I am guessing? At least for me...if I am going to buy something like that, need to fit two dirt bikes in it comfortably. Of course you and can also buy an enclosed 5X8 trailer that does the same thing, for $1500 brandy new...and pull it behind either one of my two long been paid for vehicles, and I don't have to smell gas. (dead horse, I know! ;) )

http://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/brand/metris

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...rcedesvitosportvanaimedatmotorcycletransport/

Mercedes Vito 4.jpg

My Blazer has the auto setting for the 4wd and as mentioned it is not AWD as there is no differential in the transfer case. It's nice for residential areas with slippery roads and slow speeds. It engages the 4wd faster than you'd think it would.

Of course the forester is awd which has been awesome so far

*thumbs-up*

Hard to beat a Suby AWD system, as much as I like Subys I can't make it work for me, just not versatile enough for me to justify spending the money. Need a truck or a van. For about the price of a Forester I can get a V6 WT Extra cab standard bed Colorado.

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Hard to beat a Suby AWD system, as much as I like Subys I can't make it work for me, just not versatile enough for me to justify spending the money. Need a truck or a van. For about the price of a Forester I can get a V6 WT Extra cab standard bed Colorado.

I hear you on the lack of utility. The blazer worked a little better for home depot runs with its seat folding perfectly flat and the tailgate/lift glass combo I could get more awkard stuffed in.
I spend 40 hours a week sitting in a new tacoma, I imagine a colorado feels pretty much the same. I like that its more rugged than the forester. The forester is way more comfortable and sporty-ish also the dogs wouldnt fit in the tacoma so well

Clutch

<---Pass
What did TFL say was wrong with the Canyon's AWD/4WD?

They didn't say anything wrong. It was the actual "testing" that was lackluster. Didn't really put the truck through its' paces. Wanted to see more severe conditions. Like icy/snowy/patchy roads....wet to dry to slick. Higher speeds, etc....really push the AWD system. Very much the current road conditions where I live now. It is all over the place out there.

Doing brodies and barely climbing a small hill. Isn't much of a test.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I hear you on the lack of utility. The blazer worked a little better for home depot runs with its seat folding perfectly flat and the tailgate/lift glass combo I could get more awkard stuffed in.
I spend 40 hours a week sitting in a new tacoma, I imagine a colorado feels pretty much the same. I like that its more rugged than the forester. The forester is way more comfortable and sporty-ish also the dogs wouldnt fit in the tacoma so well

I rented an Outback for a 2 week mountain bike trip. It was ok, but couldn't wait to get my Tacoma back. It works better for my needs.

Also have a Trooper, between that and the Tacoma they both cover a lot of bases. So when I look at buying a new vehicle, ask myself what is going to better than what I already have? Is really worth spending the money? Haven't had a vehicle payment in 20 years...so not spending money always wins in the end. Price of a new vehicle buys an awful lot of fuel and repairs for what I already own.

Do certianly like to look for solutions for problems I don't have, though!

Last edited:

p nut

butter
They didn't say anything wrong. It was the actual "testing" that was lackluster. Didn't really put the truck through its' paces. Wanted to see more severe conditions. Like icy/snowy/patchy roads....wet to dry to slick. Higher speeds, etc....really push the AWD system. Very much the current road conditions where I live now. It is all over the place out there.

Doing brodies and barely climbing a small hill. Isn't much of a test.

Yeah, tfl reviews are pretty much all lackluster. All of their "off road" tests are meh.

Regarding 4wd/awd, just leave it in 4wd. Unless you're driving around the city on dry pavement, 4wd is fine on the highways, even dry. I blew a rear seal once, because I accidentally left it in 4wd city driving, but never had issues on the freeway.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, tfl reviews are pretty much all lackluster. All of their "off road" tests are meh.

Ok good...I am not the only one that thinks that. Honestly don't know why they even test trucks, none of them seem like truck people to me. Is it Andre? He was "testing" a 4WD Sprinter...ran into some ranchers moving some cattle...acted like he never seen a herd of cows before. Ummm...ok, these guys call themselves truck people? :D :p

Regarding 4wd/awd, just leave it in 4wd. Unless you're driving around the city on dry pavement, 4wd is fine on the highways, even dry. I blew a rear seal once, because I accidentally left it in 4wd city driving, but never had issues on the freeway.

They aren't very good at plowing here...so all the snow covered side streets in town and parking lots are solid ice right now or super patchy rutted messes. Main roads are dry...the road conditions are really all over the place. The parking lot I use for work is solid ice while the main road is dry, I'll put it in 4WD to get out of the lot...so I don't spin then hit dry pavement. Trying to be easy on parts if you know what I mean.

We get alot black ice too...quite few cars scattered all over the place yesterday on the morning commute...hour later it was wet, last night back to black ice.

Isn't a huge deal, I just toss it in and out of 4WD while in town...thought an auto AWD system would be a nice convenience. Not that I want to pay for it though. ;)

Last edited:

p nut

butter
May be time to switch up to winter (studded?) tires for this season. A/T's do ok for me, but nothing like some good snow tires and studs.
_
But auto-4WD would be nice. Although I wonder if that causes more stress to the drive train going in and out of 4WD all the time.

Clutch

<---Pass
May be time to switch up to winter (studded?) tires for this season. A/T's do ok for me, but nothing like some good snow tires and studs.
_
But auto-4WD would be nice. Although I wonder if that causes more stress to the drive train going in and out of 4WD all the time.

I run Kumho AT51's...very happy with them in 4WD. 2WD they are just "ok".

Do run studded winter tires on the Trooper, those work great. Taco will get them next year, would like to have a little better traction for stopping on ice. Season is just about done here...going up into the 40's starting tomorrow.
----
Subarus seem to do fine, guessing it would be comparable?

---

Starting to melt, but here is what most of the city looks like...side streets are ice, main roads are clear.

20170203_132415.jpg

p nut

butter
Some bum snow removal company didn't clear the streets in my town a year ago, and it looked like that for a few days. That does suck to drive on. Rough, bumpy, slippery. Studded tires are definitely warranted there.

Clutch

<---Pass
Some bum snow removal company didn't clear the streets in my town a year ago, and it looked like that for a few days. That does suck to drive on. Rough, bumpy, slippery. Studded tires are definitely warranted there.

It hasn't snowed like this for over 30 years, Boise isn't equipped to handle it. Believe it has been like this for 6-7 weeks. Not everyone runs winter or all seasons either. Growing up in PA...I am fine getting around... most of the people that have moved in the last 20 years are from states that don't get snow, makes getting around interesting. When it is real bad, I head South of the city and take the back country roads to get home...try to stay away from the arsejackery.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
most of the people that have moved in the last 20 years are from states that don't get snow
That seems to be the case here, too. Makes me wonder where all the people who were native or lived here long enough to know how to deal with snow went. I want to go there.

Clutch

<---Pass
That seems to be the case here, too. Makes me wonder where all the people who were native or lived here long enough to know how to deal with snow went. I want to go there.

It is odd, really taken back by all the complaining and lack of driving skill. Might be isolated to the Boise metro area though, even seeing Subarus stuck!

We are diggin it. Loving the snow...feel like a kid again out there playing in it. One the reasons we moved here was to get seasons again, sure beats the hot or not so hot two seasons of SOAZ. I joke with people and say, sure hope every winter from now on is like this...maybe the Kalifornians will tuck tail and head back home. ;)

TwinStick

Explorer
We have to have the best snow removal of anywhere that I have ever seen. Western NY absolutely ROCKS for snow removal. I hate the salt but our roads are cleared right down to the pavement within 1 day of a storm. Unless it is a fluke, like the blizzard of 77' or the 7' that Lancaster NY got over 3 days in 2014, our roads are clear, right down to the blacktop. I have never seen snowplow set ups like ours, anywhere else. Ours have the big angled "County Plow" on the front & the "wing plow" on the side. Together, when dropped all the way down, they can clear almost 2 lanes at the same time. When "pushing snow back", they use the front one on the ground & the "wing plow" up higher to "bank" the snow back.

They look like these ones below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXaOeOsAlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqxF7bvmBo

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal