2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

Clutch

<---Pass
We have to have the best snow removal of anywhere that I have ever seen. Western NY absolutely ROCKS for snow removal. I hate the salt but our roads are cleared right down to the pavement within 1 day of a storm. Unless it is a fluke, like the blizzard of 77' or the 7' that Lancaster NY got over 3 days in 2014, our roads are clear, right down to the blacktop. I have never seen snowplow set ups like ours, anywhere else. Ours have the big angled "County Plow" on the front & the "wing plow" on the side. Together, when dropped all the way down, they can clear almost 2 lanes at the same time. When "pushing snow back", they use the front one on the ground & the "wing plow" up higher to "bank" the snow back.

They look like these ones below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXaOeOsAlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqxF7bvmBo

That is the way it was in PA...3 flakes in the sky and they go to war. They salt and mag chloride here a little...glad they don't go nuts with that stuff, rather deal with the ice.

Here it seems they [state/city] are used to people taking care of themselves in the past, when outsiders come in that are used to having everything done for them...chaos ensues. All people need is a good set of winter tires and they would fine. My Trooper is RWD, it does quite well with studs...maybe a little better than my 4WD Tacoma with A/T's.

Heck, we have people that can't get out their own driveway. Just odd...they complain that it was plowed shut then froze...well you have to get out there and shovel it before it freezes. They think the city needs to clear their private driveways. Find it very strange, seems like no one knows how to fend for themselves. Want everything done for them. It is funny, my wife teaches at the college...she has 20 year old kids saying they can't get out of their driveways...yet my 70 year old neighbor is out there shoveling his driveway clear...

p nut

butter
And that's for the ext. cab V6. According to that article, crew cab, diesel, and other options could take it to $50k. Yikes

Clutch

<---Pass
And that's for the ext. cab V6. According to that article, crew cab, diesel, and other options could take it to $50k. Yikes

Either everything is really expensive, or I am just poor... ;) :D

Me being the dirt bag that I am, think you're better building it yourself. Get one of those sub $24K WT Extra Cabs I posted up, some after market suspension, maybe give Eaton a call up to get a rear e-locker, and call it done. Think you can be into it for $27-28K. Hell, at that price you can get one for the wife too...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

Me being the dirt bag that I am, think you're better building it yourself. Get one of those sub $24K WT Extra Cabs I posted up, some after market suspension, maybe give Eaton a call up to get a rear e-locker, and call it done. Think you can be into it for $27-28K. Hell, at that price you can get one for the wife too...
I think it's because we're conditioned to associate a number with a value and since we don't shop for and buy trucks very often we're not in tune with inflation. The sticker on my 1991 back in October of 1990 was something like $13,000, which would be about $25,000 now. This was for a 4 cylinder, DLX (roughly a SR now), stick shift, 4x4, XtraCab. So OE 60/40 bench, 225/75R15 Dunlops on steel wheels, 5 speed, no A/C, AM/FM radio, etc. A fully loaded SR5, V6, auto, A/C, tape deck, buckets, etc. probably went for $17,000 back then, which is closer to $31,000 now. So the price for a ZR2 or TRD Pro is high but they are also not in the same league as our old junk. But the prices they ask really aren't all that much. I mean, comparing apples to apples the price for a similar truck, adjusted for inflation, is very approximately the same but honestly you get a lot stuff (admittedly a bunch of it is superfluous to you and me).

Last edited:

p nut

butter

Yeah, or go Tacoma SR and get ARB F/R lockers. Having said that, if they're like any other domestic trucks, expect 15-20% discount right off the back.

p nut

butter
I think it's because we're conditioned to associate a number with a value and since we don't shop for and buy trucks very often we're not in tune with inflation. The sticker on my 1991 back in October of 1990 was something like $13,000, which would be about $25,000 now. This was for a 4 cylinder, DLX (roughly a SR now), stick shift, 4x4, XtraCab. So OE 60/40 bench, 225/75R15 Dunlops on steel wheels, 5 speed, no A/C, AM/FM radio, etc. A fully loaded SR5, V6, auto, A/C, tape deck, buckets, etc. probably went for $17,000 back then, which is closer to $31,000 now. So the price for a ZR2 or TRD Pro is high but they are also not in the same league as our old junk. But the prices they ask really aren't all that much. I mean, comparing apples to apples the price for a similar truck, adjusted for inflation, is very approximately the same but honestly you get a lot stuff (admittedly a bunch of it is superfluous to you and me).

I agree. Valid point. But man, that's a lot of dough when speaking in relative terms to other products out on the market. Granted, this is a specialized, very niche vehicle, but Powerwagons, F150's, etc. can be had for less. Even compared to others in the same segment, i.e. JKU, it's (IMO) over-priced.
_
I understand purchase price may not have changed much factoring in inflation, but cost to produce has become so much more efficient than 20, 30 years ago, it should be expected to pay less for more these days.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Speaking of discounts, we just picked up a new Duramax Colorado LT longbed, pretty well loaded and one of the discounts alone was 5k, we ended up with 10k off with our GM discount stacked on it and some other incentives, PLUS zero percent for 5 years. Was shocked we could get a deal like that on a DMax. Made no sense to look at some other 5 year oldish options. So speaking to the above comment, you should be able to wheel and deal a bit, maybe after the newness wears off a bit especially. I will say that I am really impressed how well put together these trucks seem. And that's coming from a long term Toyota guy.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

That a tough sell for a midsize, my new F-350 crewcab 4wd diesel is right at 50k, with a decent amount of options on it.

XJLI

Adventurer
Speaking of discounts, we just picked up a new Duramax Colorado LT longbed, pretty well loaded and one of the discounts alone was 5k, we ended up with 10k off with our GM discount stacked on it and some other incentives, PLUS zero percent for 5 years. Was shocked we could get a deal like that on a DMax. Made no sense to look at some other 5 year oldish options. So speaking to the above comment, you should be able to wheel and deal a bit, maybe after the newness wears off a bit especially. I will say that I am really impressed how well put together these trucks seem. And that's coming from a long term Toyota guy.

Wow.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeaaaaaaa

We are by no means rich, but we don't do too bad....man, everything has gotten so expensive. Or I am just unwilling to pay what I think it is worth. This point in life trying to squirrel money away into retirement so I can retire sooner rather than later...

WORK is a four letter word! ;) :D

Think my TRD OR was $22-23K new. Bought it used for $17K which I paid cash for. Since we like to buy outright, and not finance...just seems like vehicles are expensive to me. Maybe that is the difference...majority of buyers finance, they only see the monthly bill, instead of the big picture. I dunno...

Yeah, or go Tacoma SR and get ARB F/R lockers. Having said that, if they're like any other domestic trucks, expect 15-20% discount right off the back.

Or just keep it stock..., and buy toys with the money you don't spend on the truck. ;) (dead horse is getting hammered!)

I agree. Valid point. But man, that's a lot of dough when speaking in relative terms to other products out on the market. Granted, this is a specialized, very niche vehicle, but Powerwagons, F150's, etc. can be had for less. Even compared to others in the same segment, i.e. JKU, it's (IMO) over-priced.
_
I understand purchase price may not have changed much factoring in inflation, but cost to produce has become so much more efficient than 20, 30 years ago, it should be expected to pay less for more these days.

That a tough sell for a midsize, my new F-350 crewcab 4wd diesel is right at 50k, with a decent amount of options on it.

Yeah....a lot of coin for a truck that can't haul much. The ZR2 is certainly cool no doubt...I just see all of the other stuff I could buy with the same amount.

XJLI

Adventurer
We are by no means rich, but we don't do too bad....man, everything has gotten so expensive. Or I am just unwilling to pay what I think it is worth. This point in life trying to squirrel money away into retirement so I can retire sooner rather than later...

WORK is a four letter word! ;) :D

It is pretty much the perfect truck for me, in my mind at least. I'm not in a position to get one this year, but maybe next? Who knows. I just bought a house and I'm currently looking at GMT400 2500s right now for a new DD, so you can tell what my budget is currently. lol.

Clutch

<---Pass
It is pretty much the perfect truck for me, in my mind at least. I'm not in a position to get one this year, but maybe next? Who knows. I just bought a house and I'm currently looking at GMT400 2500s right now for a new DD, so you can tell what my budget is currently. lol.

I really like the Colorado... would do the WT extra cab with the V6, can get those cheaper than the 4 banger Tacoma SR. Only bummer is no manny trans. Damn you the lazy American populous! :p

Yeah we bought a 2nd home 2.5 years ago...the dust has kinda settled from that...of course, she is now talking about redoing the hardwood floors, the kitchen, the bathroom...building an art studio in the back yard for her. Never ending the things you can throw money at... Don't think I'll ever get a new truck...maybe, just maybe if I am good boy, can get one when I...errr "we" sell the rental house. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal