2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2

p nut

butter
My old '01 Tacoma had a dash rattle, that I "fixed" by stuffing pipe insulation down it. I figure with as much plastic my current truck has, she'll belting out annoying Miley Cyrus-esque tunes sometime soon. Meh. I'll just turn up the radio louder (although talk radio doesn't really mask the sound that well. Unless I turn on Hannity. But then again, that's worse than the squeaks and rattles.)...

Clutch

<---Pass
My old '01 Tacoma had a dash rattle, that I "fixed" by stuffing pipe insulation down it. I figure with as much plastic my current truck has, she'll belting out annoying Miley Cyrus-esque tunes sometime soon. Meh. I'll just turn up the radio louder (although talk radio doesn't really mask the sound that well. Unless I turn on Hannity. But then again, that's worse than the squeaks and rattles.)...

That is what I did for mine, stuffed some round foam (that they use for around house windows) between the windshield and the dash.

Plus cranking the Red Fang helps. :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
My guess is the station wagons would be just fine. Body-on-frame, V8, real rear axle. Those things were more SUV/truck than our SUV/trucks are now.

el camino.jpg

p nut

butter
My guess is the station wagons would be just fine. Body-on-frame, V8, real rear axle. Those things were more SUV/truck than our SUV/trucks are now.

[]

You know, I wouldn't mind a station wagon. Not the cute ute Subaru I've got now. A proper full-size Caprice, Mercury, Impala, etc. Give me a modern version (faux hot rod Magnum doesn't count), with AWD. I could go a lot of places and haul a lot of stuff with a wagon like that.

Clutch

<---Pass
You know, I wouldn't mind a station wagon. Not the cute ute Subaru I've got now. A proper full-size Caprice, Mercury, Impala, etc. Give me a modern version (faux hot rod Magnum doesn't count), with AWD. I could go a lot of places and haul a lot of stuff with a wagon like that.

Volvo V90 XC is close in size to those old whales...of course you can buy an awfully nice diesel truck for that price.

http://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/v90-cross-country

b80404j0saqaeclni6au.jpg

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
@Clutch

That is one thing I wish I had in the Tacoma...an AWD option for this time of year....lots of patchy ice/snow out there now. I am constantly pulling it in and out of 4WD...would nice if it just did itself. IIRC...the GMC upper trim models have that, but the Chevy doesn't? Correct me if I am wrong

Yes, to my knowledge a GM does come with an auto mode. However, it is not a full-time all wheel drive.
Indeed, it is a very good option. But, technologically speaking, this system, part-time awd with auto mode, is essentially different from a full-time all wheel drive system.
Land rovers, TLC 80 or 100, G wagon, Grand Cherokee are/were FT AWD cars, which means that all four wheels are always in monition and connected with the transmission / transfer case. So in order to overcome an obstacle (wet, mud etc) one has to turn on the center-diff locker. The old rovers had it on a mechanical lever (see attached picture) but G wagons and toys had it on a button. The outcome was the same, but the process of engaging a locker was different.

Land rover center diff lock with low gear.

What I am confused with is that whether a new Colorado going to be part-time awd with that auto mode from the GM twin or they are going to introduce a new transfer case with FT awd system.
I assume they won't. They will put a GM transfer case.
But If Chevy really does that, I am for sure picking up Colorado over Taco.

Only FT awd track to my knowledge is Mercedes pickup, which still has not been built yet. Just a few prototypes.

Cheers!

Clutch

<---Pass
Thanks for the info Highlander!

TFL Truck had a lackluster test with the AWD/4WD Canyon. Can't seem to find a better test.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, but I want to be able to go into Autozone for parts. Not have it shipped for $$$ from Sweden. :D

Dis is true!

Actually, something like a Transit Connect probably offers the same cargo/passenger space. I wouldn't mind one of those either. Wish they had AWD.

Sister-in-law has one of those. I have never seen or ridden in it, but the better half liked it, when she was in NC visiting.

Didn't Ford have a AWD full size wagon....what was it called??? (ahh found it) The Flex. Woman I worked with when I lived in Tucson had one... never paid too much attention to it though.

2016-ford-flex-35l-ecoboost-awd-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-668449-s-429x262.jpg

350hp/355tq...dang!

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
My Blazer has the auto setting for the 4wd and as mentioned it is not AWD as there is no differential in the transfer case. It's nice for residential areas with slippery roads and slow speeds. It engages the 4wd faster than you'd think it would.

Of course the forester is awd which has been awesome so far

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal