2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

Jwestpro

Explorer
For reference in my 2006 4runner, with the back seats folded down I've easily fit with hatch closed:
- a 65" inch flat screen TV in box from costco
- two 29ers (L) with from wheels off
- top loading washer and dryer

So those don't stand out as special/unique to me.

It's unique for land rovers since 2005 aside from the LR3/4. Now non-existent. I wasn't looking for any other options back then but to br clear, my LR3 seats fold flush into the floor, the toyotas do not. I did not try to tell you how much in total I could fit but it's more than even a land cruiser unless all rear seats are removed.
Only Toyota bigger is the Seqouia which I looked at but dismissed for versions reasons. They're much nicer now though.

You fit that whole list all at one time? Not sure what your point is when my comparison was specific.

Jwestpro

Explorer
There, I did it. I've committed high treason. A life-long toyota owner with an FJ-40 and 1st gen Tundra changed his mind from a 4Runner and put a reservation down on this:

So you want a car, nothing wrong with that but functionally, the Land Cruiser is now much better in many ways. The D5 is now a very capable station wagon, essentially a much better Volvo XC70 or AudiA6 based Allroad.

Maybe best way to sum it up is to call it an "SV" rather than an SUV because the utility has been mostly removed except for towing.

It'll be a sweet road tripping car though for sure.

Tembo

topless adventures
I've said before, Gerry McGovern's legacy depends on the next generation Defender. It was said that he understands Land Rover's DNA. Not seeing it so far. His Evoque, D5 and Velar are insignificant in the legacy big picture.

As for the NY auto show, the D5 was placed next to the Discovery Sport because they are in essence a cross-over product line. Small and mid-sized.

I think anyone waiting for Gerry to design a real multi-use utility truck to replace the Defender that could be used by farmers, small businesses, the military, overlanders and the rest that loved the mechano-set adaptability of the legacy breed might as well take a deep breath now and walk away. JLR will never go back there. All you will get is a slightly boxier version of the Discovery. I'll stick to my 1986 110 which has taken me to the Sahara and back three times now and never let me down.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I think anyone waiting for Gerry to design a real multi-use utility truck to replace the Defender that could be used by farmers, small businesses, the military, overlanders and the rest that loved the mechano-set adaptability of the legacy breed might as well take a deep breath now and walk away. JLR will never go back there. All you will get is a slightly boxier version of the Discovery. I'll stick to my 1986 110 which has taken me to the Sahara and back three times now and never let me down.

This forum needs a "like" button .... ^

ColoDisco

Explorer
True. It does not make sense in our current environment. I have been eyeballing a land cruiser 79 series for those purposes. Still love my LR3 and D2 and will most likely always keep them. Might pick up a second LR3 for the Wifey.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
It's unique for land rovers since 2005 aside from the LR3/4. Now non-existent. I wasn't looking for any other options back then but to br clear, my LR3 seats fold flush into the floor, the toyotas do not. I did not try to tell you how much in total I could fit but it's more than even a land cruiser unless all rear seats are removed.
Only Toyota bigger is the Seqouia which I looked at but dismissed for versions reasons. They're much nicer now though.

You fit that whole list all at one time? Not sure what your point is when my comparison was specific.

Not all at once :smilies27:

You listed a 29er and 65" TV as fitting in an LR3 and that being a unique capability, and exclusive. I'm just pointing out, that's common.

GR8ADV

Explorer
So you want a car, nothing wrong with that but functionally, the Land Cruiser is now much better in many ways. The D5 is now a very capable station wagon, essentially a much better Volvo XC70 or AudiA6 based Allroad.

Maybe best way to sum it up is to call it an "SV" rather than an SUV because the utility has been mostly removed except for towing.

It'll be a sweet road tripping car though for sure.
+1. But that's not a bad thing. SUV sales are killing sedan sales due to their versatility. As far as off-paving these things, as per the Porsche Pepper it is usually the third owner who takes advantage of this when most of the depreciation gone. So isnt it kind of moot for the next 5 years or so? And by then , out of warrantee, I can't see me stepping up given the history of rover apparently not caring about reliability. YMMV

chinochulo

Front seats are nice for sure with lots and lots configurations that will suit a lot of users but me being 5.10 and driver seat pushed all the way up as I wanted to reproduce that command seating feeling that is easily achieved in lr3 and lr4 with no joy!! my head was touching headliner.
Heard so many bad reviews regarding second row seats and let me tell you it will be a deal breaker for many .I have not sit so low in the loooong time..in the way that my thighs where so up in the air as if I was sitting on the 1 gallon paint bucket.Such a weird feeling !

This is exactly what I feared!

Joslin

I've said before, Gerry McGovern's legacy depends on the next generation Defender. It was said that he understands Land Rover's DNA. Not seeing it so far. His Evoque, D5 and Velar are insignificant in the legacy big picture.

As an automotive writer, I've had several discussions with Gerry over the years and was in New York last week at an event with him. He certainly has a different vision of Land Rover's DNA. Personally, I think he identifies more with the Range Rover lineage (as a luxury product), but I'm not convinced he truly gets the reasons Land Rover enthusiasts love their vehicles. He believes in design for design's sake, whereas in the past the design was always something of a wrapper applied to a mission-specific piece of hardware. With regards to the Discovery, that's meant some fairly unorthodox styling. Polarizing styling - you either love it or hate it. Problem is not enough people loved it. The new designs are specifically intended to draw a broader audience. It's working, too, albeit at the expense of originality. They sold more vehicles last year than ever before. And they haven't given up making them capable, even if it's less of a selling point to the general public these days.

That said, they HAVE TO get the new Defender right to retain any credibility with traditionalists. Hopefully Gerry's assigned a lead designer to that project who knows what a real Defender is all about.

As for the NY auto show, the D5 was placed next to the Discovery Sport because they are in essence a cross-over product line. Small and mid-sized.

D5's a worthy successor to the Discovery range. Far from a crossover and I have no doubt it will find a place among long-time Land Rover enthusiasts and owners. Disco Sport, of course, is a crossover just like all the Freelanders before it. Doesn't make it a bad vehicle.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
The D5 looks like the evolving mid-size crossover that has enhanced off road capability with all the bells and whistle gadget every other manufacturer is adding to their product line. Open up the Land Rover website and be presented with basically the same body shape across all models. They now all slope down at the back, the same "DNA"? Not seeing a lot of creativity here. A lot of "me-to". As you noted Joslin, Gerry may understand Range Rover but I am also not convinced he gets the 'utility' DNA of Land Rover. Personally I see Land Rover and Range Rover as two different vehicle lines. With the D5 there are no "Land Rover" products.

JLR may want to consider growing the Jaguar SUV product line with a D5 derivative.

vasily

Adventurer
Sub'd Cautiously optimistic.

The looks haven't grown on me yet, bet everyone that has driven the Disco5 raves about it. Rover and non rover folks alike.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I'm sure the D5 will drive nice, similar to Volvo and Audi. I also think the D5 will sell well as it will expand potential customers. Not quite a cross-over and not really a SUV, serving more Sport than Utility. That said, less DNA than DI, DII, LR3, LR4.

Can't help remembering Triumph Motor Cars. A couple of Top Gear perspectives. The TR7 was the "Shape of Things to Come"!!! But most would prefer a TR6.

Total TR7 production numbers were 50% higher than the Tr6. .......... But .......... DNA was lost.

JackW

Explorer
"Open up the Land Rover website and be presented with basically the same body shape across all models."

I noticed that as well along with the same trend among many other manufacturers - like why do the designers at Lexus think they have to stick the same ugly nose on the majority of their vehicles.
Part of it is the CAFE standards but if you look at the wide range of GM cars in the mid to late sixties for instance you see what we have lost in design variety.

I wouldn't be too upset if the new Defender looks like this:

Attachments

• nieuwedefender2.jpg
    nieuwedefender2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25

GR8ADV

Explorer
"Open up the Land Rover website and be presented with basically the same body shape across all models."

I noticed that as well along with the same trend among many other manufacturers - like why do the designers at Lexus think they have to stick the same ugly nose on the majority of their vehicles.
Part of it is the CAFE standards but if you look at the wide range of GM cars in the mid to late sixties for instance you see what we have lost in design variety.

I wouldn't be too upset if the new Defender looks like this:
. Woah I thought for a moment this was a Ford Flex with big wheels ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online