2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

ColoDisco

Explorer
I tried waving for 2 weeks, mainly LR's that were kitted out or at least were set up to wheel and got no response.

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Just returned from NY auto show..Poor display by LR in my opinion with only one Discovery 5 showed.It sort of looked like they were NOT to proud of a new successor,ignoring new child on the block, concentrating mainly on two examples of RR Velar .Standing almost right next to D5, I almost had to look for it as it was placed next to same color Discovery Sport ! Front seats are nice for sure with lots and lots configurations that will suit a lot of users but me being 5.10 and driver seat pushed all the way up as I wanted to reproduce that command seating feeling that is easily achieved in lr3 and lr4 with no joy!! my head was touching headliner.
Heard so many bad reviews regarding second row seats and let me tell you it will be a deal breaker for many .I have not sit so low in the loooong time..in the way that my thighs where so up in the air as if I was sitting on the 1 gallon paint bucket.Such a weird feeling !As far as I remember I have always enjoyed going to such events, drooling at Camel Trophy Land Rovers and even a very interesting display of a new back then LR3 , but now You can't even differentiate certain models from a crowd , all I know I will be always able to spot from a mile away a LR3 or 4 , but with a new Discovery , not so much..such a shame.Good bye brand...until Defender comes along, so I hope.

Last edited:
I'm always waving, of course I throw the Shaka up to the Yota and Jeep guys too cuz I have yet to see an LR on any trail on Oahu.

I have faith, let's not let the now erode our love for our vehicles and the future....once we see the Defender, we will know then as it will be the name that LR owes the respect too!

If they punt the Defender into the stands, it'll be hard for us loyalists to remain at that point.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
I've said before, Gerry McGovern's legacy depends on the next generation Defender. It was said that he understands Land Rover's DNA. Not seeing it so far. His Evoque, D5 and Velar are insignificant in the legacy big picture.

As for the NY auto show, the D5 was placed next to the Discovery Sport because they are in essence a cross-over product line. Small and mid-sized.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Re: the wave does not exist here, unless its clearly modified and even then sometimes no dice

I forgot to try the back seats in the D5, but if this is true I will be sad. The D3/D4 back seats were really nice... I loved the interior layout. Funny you say low, the defender rear seats are way high. As for heritage, the true LR experience seems to be going around a corner and the backseat passenger whacks their head on the roll cage, doors slam shut on your legs, or a near daily occurence of kneeing the door window winder knobs... ow. Gerry Mcgovern is welcome to try it anytime. I'll even try to cover the bars with pool noodles this time.

Has anyone driven the D5 at a dealer lot yet? Ours just made their display available for road test.

Haven't had a wave in Colorado for a few years. Last time waves happened was when I owned a JK and in my old Series IIa. Defender owners don't even wave as I've been passed and crossed paths several times in the past few weeks and I got nothing when I waved. Kinda hard to miss a white 110 with a roof rack.
My wife's LR4 is due in for a oil change very soon so I hope to test drive the D5 then.
In my case when we replace the LR4 next year the next vehicle will have third row seating 100%. We haul extra kids and adults almost everyday.
I have to purchase new tires on the LR4 right now and I am really sad with the available tire choices for 19 wheels. I'm not replacing the wheels with 18 or even 20 since the truck is going back next year.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Back in 2006, I had a new 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser I'd bought that spring. At that time I was coming from a 1996 Discovery (which we still have). Sometime that year I saw the new Disco 3 and decided I just couldn't pass up a slightly used 2004 Discovery 2 in my favorite color scheme with the Aspen interior (which I also still have and will likely never sell).

That fall I was won back over from the Land Cruiser to the LR3 primarily for how versatile the interior was with the fold flush seats and the trick air suspension. Overall, the LR3 is still more versatile to me over the Land Cruiser, if only by way of the interior functionality and it's ability to still get into a residential 81" garage door with the Hannibal rack and awnings still mounted.

Now, it's funny that this new Discovery 5 will very likely push me right back into a newer than my 06, Land Cruiser 200 series. I looked at the seat mounting in the D5...not a piece of cake to remove and pop back in like I can with the LR3 and it's interior floor to ceiling height is lower than my allowable tolerance even if just on principal. The LR3 allowed my 65" plasma to stand straight up in it's shipping box or my 29'r xc mtn bike with just front wheel off to roll in backwards in 5 seconds. Two bikes fit like that actually with one on either side and front wheel tucked against the 3rd row side. A simple bungee from 3rd row grab handle to rear floor cargo loop hold them in place in under 60 seconds.

So, the very feature that flipped me from the 2006 Land Cruiser 100 series (a vehicle that would've just rolled along these 130,000 miles with almost zero drama) is now the feature that will end my relationship with new rovers.

I know it's been stated 100 times already but you've all seen the ridiculous D5 rear hatch shape and resulting height when lifted right?! Forget using a rear awning or hauling something like a tandem sea kayak or a rowing skull, or any decent length lumber for that matter.

Yeah, Tata will sell these like crazy....but I'm already saving for the Land Cruiser or G wagen unless I decide to stick with replacing the lr3 with and lr4, but for what? A bit more power? Mine is so tricked out there would need to be a pretty big reason. Not holding my breath on the next Defender being anything worth considering.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Now, it's funny that this new Discovery 5 will very likely push me right back into a newer than my 06, Land Cruiser 200 series. I looked at the seat mounting in the D5...not a piece of cake to remove and pop back in like I can with the LR3 and it's interior floor to ceiling height is lower than my allowable tolerance even if just on principal. The LR3 allowed my 65" plasma to stand straight up in it's shipping box or my 29'r xc mtn bike with just front wheel off to roll in backwards in 5 seconds. Two bikes fit like that actually with one on either side and front wheel tucked against the 3rd row side. A simple bungee from 3rd row grab handle to rear floor cargo loop hold them in place in under 60 seconds.

For reference in my 2006 4runner, with the back seats folded down I've easily fit with hatch closed:
- a 65" inch flat screen TV in box from costco
- two 29ers (L) with from wheels off
- top loading washer and dryer

So those don't stand out as special/unique to me.

MLu

Adventurer
Around here waves happen with Defenders, Disco 1 & 2 and RRC, and the extremely rare modded D3/4.

Every landy starting from the D1 has been fitted out with way too much technology, not been versatile enough and not been hard-core enough, up until the next model has come along, so I'm going to give the D5 and the new Defender the benefit of the doubt for a while longer...

TexasTundra

Observer
There, I did it. I've committed high treason. A life-long toyota owner with an FJ-40 and 1st gen Tundra changed his mind from a 4Runner and put a reservation down on this:

Discovery.jpg

Now I sit patientily, looking through my window for the first signs of the Toyota lynch mob surely on its way.

EDIT: I'm getting the 20" wheels, not the 22s. Just noticed it's wrong on that screen grab.

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
First thing I thought when I saw the thread title was "this guy must be affiliated with Land Rover".

Haha. Me too. Particularly like the "getting back to it's old self part." For 90 percent of what people these days use Rovers for, this will be a fine vehicle though. I actually have my eye on the Range Rover Velar.

JackW

Explorer
If the Range Rover Velar had a low range I'd seriously consider it. I need a tow vehicle so I've got my new D5 on order. I figure it will do 90 percent of what I need in a daily driver/road trip car and I'll still have the Defender and Series trucks for the fun stuff.
This way I can load the 88" on a trailer and do the five or seven hour drive to the fun stuff in comfort then ride around in the Series IIA when I get there.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
If the Range Rover Velar had a low range I'd seriously consider it. I need a tow vehicle so I've got my new D5 on order. I figure it will do 90 percent of what I need in a daily driver/road trip car and I'll still have the Defender and Series trucks for the fun stuff.
This way I can load the 88" on a trailer and do the five or seven hour drive to the fun stuff in comfort then ride around in the Series IIA when I get there.

If you're taking the 88 with you, you don't need low range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman