2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

zelatore

Explorer
1/2" of that clearance is purely from the increased tire size on the Discovery 5...it comes stock with 31s vs 30" on the LR3/4. So with equal tire sizes we are talking a 1.1" difference only. It would be interesting to know how large a tire could realistally fit the D5. We know 32s easily fit on a LR3/4 with 18" rims which gets it within 0.6" of the D5. It would be good to understand how much larger the D5 can go....which we know will be limited by it's larger brake discs that force the 19" rims

The weight savings is nice but there is something to be said with 1000 extra pounds when you're behind the wheel...gives me a warm safe feel that I'll destroy nearly anything I hit and keep me safe and sound ;)

Of all the D5 attributes, the weight savings are by far (imho) the biggest improvement. Colin Chapman knew a thing or two when it comes to performance of any kind - light is right. About the only time lighter isn't better is when pushing maximum towing capacity where long wheelbase and road crushing weight can be an advantage for stability.

As a for-instance, last weekend I was out wheeling in the snow. This is an area where the massive weight of an LR3 is a huge disadvantage: it's a simple formula of tire size vs weight to keep you 'floating' on top instead of sinking until you're high-centered. Mind you, I'm not talking about a foot or two of snow where you might hope to 'dig down' to a solid surface with your tall and skinny pizza cutters, but actual deep snow that's effectively bottomless. Stay on top or stop moving. I run 275-70-18s (33") on my LR3 which is about as big as anybody (OK, I know at least Lucky8 is running 35s but I don't know the details) and the huge weight of my armored rig means sinking easily. For comparison, my buddie's RRC on 35s could quite literally drive around me...and pretty much every other Jeep/Toyota/Rover on the trail. Again - floatation vs weight. The same is true of mud - you either float or don't.

I have no illusions that a modern vehicle like the D5 will ever be what an RRC was/is. I'm holding onto some vague hope that the next Defender might fill that role. I was initially very disappointed in the styling of the new D5, but the reviews and stats are starting to win me over. However at this point there are still a few things that come up as huge show stoppers for me.

The bodystyle looks like it won't lend itself to easy mods. Bumpers, sliders, tire carrier, winch, etc. I like to play in the rocks and without those things you WILL damage the body.

It does not look like you can run much tire. Of course I haven't seen one in person to check on this but again, more tire = more better in almost every off-road situation. I'm guessing it won't be long before there's a Johnson Rod-ish lift for it, but the wheel wells look very tight. Likely this is for a combination of styling purposes and aero improvements.

19" wheels standard and the inability to run anything smaller. 19" is just an odd-ball size. Even 20" seems to offer more options...not that I'm advocating for this. In today's world 17" seems to be the ideal mix for tire vs wheel sizing. 18" is workable. 19" is the odd-man out with few companies even offering a tire in this size. 20" can work if you're running a really large tire like 37"+ where you can still get some sidewall size. I know a tall sidewall isn't going to do well for sales to the highway folks, but it would be nice to at least be able to fit a smaller wheel for those of us who will take it off-road.

I'd also put all the frilly tech into this category in that it adds unneeded/unwanted weight, cost, and complexity but it's not a deal-breaker for me the same way the items above are.

I'm slowly warming to the platform but it will take some time. I'm going to stand back a bit and wait for the aftermarket to show me what they can do with this platform. I'm not likely a new-car buyer anyway, so perhaps they'll make headway on these issues by the time I'm ready to ditch my LR3.

perkj

Explorer
I don't disagree that the 1000 lbs weight saving is a great thing, however I just don't see the LR3, LR4 and D5 as practical rigs for deep mud and deep snow bogging (and rock crawling for that matter). I personally view them as Overland vehicles (where they shine) and its from this perspective that I see the D5 as a step backwards from what the LR3/4 offered as an Overland vehicle.

Last edited:

umbertob

Adventurer
As an overland vehicle, the much greater range (from the diesel engine in particular) should be a plus compared to the LR3/4s, which have always been heavy, thirsty vehicles with relatively tiny fuel tanks.

perkj

Explorer
As an overland vehicle, the much greater range (from the diesel engine in particular) should be a plus compared to the LR3/4s, which have always been heavy, thirsty vehicles with relatively tiny fuel tanks.

I agree, the diesel is a positive

uzj100

Adventurer
Very nice.

Noticed the HSE only has high range. The HSE Luxury has high range and low range.

http://rules.config.landrover.com/j...-200ay-190_a-hse_a-std_a-std-wb/jdxmodel.html

This is pretty sweet.

Intelligent Seat Fold

All-New Discovery features three rows of seats with intelligent seat fold allowing you to configure the second and third row seating using switches located in the loadspace or on the main Touchscreen. Furthermore, using technology pioneered by Land Rover, the vehicle allows you to remotely configure the seats when you’re not inside it, via an app on your smartphone. The powered seat folding mechanism uses a highly sophisticated intelligent control system which ensures the seats are folded in a safe and efficient manner. It understands when seats are occupied or have items on them and, when folding, automatically adjusts the seat position to prevent a conflict.

Last edited:

LR Max

Local Oaf
I think you're famous enough :ylsmoke:

Lulz wat...

I'm not famous. I'm just the local oaf who considers a vehicle stuck up to the top of its wheel arches a minor inconvenience and demands to stop wheeling at noon on the dot for lunch and if I don't I get cranky.

We went wheeling a few months back and had some friends in the back seat. The back seat drivers were expressing concern over the terrain the entire time. I told them, "You don't worry about a thing. If there is a real problem, I'll drop an F bomb. Until then, all is well." We then proceeded to get cross axled. Nary an F Bomb was dropped.

I think this could be a good all around vehicle. Excellent payload, good enough for towing (aka, tow a series truck like, 2 or 3 times a year), good road manners, and enough off road capability to be fun. I see this truck as a great way to drive from the west coast out to Colorado or Moab. There are many trails out there that don't require a high clearance vehicle, just low range and traction control/a diff locker (because cross axle).

DiscoDavis

Explorer
All-New Discovery features three rows of seats with intelligent seat fold allowing you to configure the second and third row seating using switches located in the loadspace or on the main Touchscreen. Furthermore, using technology pioneered by Land Rover, the vehicle allows you to remotely configure the seats when you're not inside it, via an app on your smartphone. The powered seat folding mechanism uses a highly sophisticated intelligent control system which ensures the seats are folded in a safe and efficient manner. It understands when seats are occupied or have items on them and, when folding, automatically adjusts the seat position to prevent a conflict.

CANT WAIT TO SUBMERGE ALL THESE CRISPY ELECTRONICS

Who wants to bet that a "seat broken" fault light will disable the car?

I'd change your order while you still can as you will absolutely regret not getting the rear locking diff.

X2 on that one. There is likely to be someone in the near future that may swap your 7 seat interior for their 5 seat but the locker will never be an option!

CANT WAIT TO SUBMERGE ALL THESE CRISPY ELECTRONICS

Who wants to bet that a "seat broken" fault light will disable the car?

Guaranteed because they will be tied to the 400 airbags in the interior which are all sensored for weight per butt in the seat! This "Intelli-seat" thing might also turn into a limiting factor on software for a seat swap as well. I'm sure GAP Diagnostic can figure out how to work the seat thing if they keep up with the D5 range but surely it will require a reprogram of the seats.

Plenty of 19-20" MT/AT tires running around here looking like Dubbs in Hawaii so finding a tire is not going to be an issue! What you pay for them and a spare is the problem and how you get one replaced while on your adventure is the next as most are ordered only!

Ups and downs on the D5 but I surely want that diesel. Hopefully I can find a soccer mom who had every option avail ready to trade up in about 5 years! Until then, I'm sticking with my D3 Petrol and watching what you guys make happen with this beast!

zelatore

Explorer
This is pretty sweet.

Intelligent Seat Fold

All-New Discovery features three rows of seats with intelligent seat fold allowing you to configure the second and third row seating using switches located in the loadspace or on the main Touchscreen. Furthermore, using technology pioneered by Land Rover, the vehicle allows you to remotely configure the seats when you’re not inside it, via an app on your smartphone. The powered seat folding mechanism uses a highly sophisticated intelligent control system which ensures the seats are folded in a safe and efficient manner. It understands when seats are occupied or have items on them and, when folding, automatically adjusts the seat position to prevent a conflict.

This is exactly the sort of stuff I *DO NOT* want on my rig! How much weight, complexity, and cost am I paying for on this gimmick? Really? I need to be able to remotely fold down seats but I don't need proper tires? Just wait until it freaks out on you like the air suspension and decides to go to 'default mode' of all upright (or whatever) when you've got it loaded with gear.... :)

I'm not saying it has to have manual seats and windows, (I'd gladly have that in my RRC though) but somewhere a line has been crossed.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
All of these seem nice. except one thing.
How reliable is it?
Am I gonna be able to take a new D5 lets say from Boston to Deadhorse Alaska and than come back (alive)?

zelatore

Explorer
All of these seem nice. except one thing.
How reliable is it?
Am I gonna be able to take a new D5 lets say from Boston to Deadhorse Alaska and than come back (alive)?

Oh, I think it would be PERFECT for a simple trip like that. No wheeling involved, just some poor roads. Heck, it probably has some sort of driver aid to keep you awake and in your lane in case you get sleepy on the long drive.

On the other hand, how will it fare on the Rubicon? Now that's a question I'd like to see an answer to.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Very nice.

Noticed the HSE only has high range. The HSE Luxury has high range and low range..

When you configure the HSE with 7-passenger seating, you also pick-up the 2-speed t-case and electronic air suspension.

EDIT!

It gets better, you can add the Capability Plus Package, which includes Active Rear Locking Differential and Terrain Response 2, for a cool $1,250.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online