2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that the Discovery 5 is a cross-over, a unibody design. That is how they reduced the weight over the LR4. There are upsides AND downsides to this direction.

I think the Jaguar F-Pace and Discovery 5 have similar underpinnings.

JackW

Explorer
I think the Jaguar F-Pace and Discovery 5 have similar underpinnings.

Discovery 5 and Range Rover Sport share the chassis architecture - except the Discovery has heavier duty front suspension control arms.
The F-pace will share the chassis with the new Range Rover Velar and the Velar will also be available with the 4 cylinder Ingenium diesel engine.

Remember too that we all said that those unibody Jeep Cherokees would never make a good off road vehicle - that's been proven wrong about a million times.

I like diesels - I own two old Land Rover diesels and wish that Rover had brought the diesel version of the LR3/LR4 platform to the USA.
I've said for years that when Land Rover brings a diesel to the US I'd buy one and the new Discovery will be a great daily driver for 90% of what I need a car to do.

I'm already planning to trade the D5 in on a new Defender when they arrive (hopefully in 2019) and I'm really hoping that the Defender will be a little more squared off with shorter overhangs.

Jwestpro

Explorer
How specifically is the new Discovery 5 more capable than the LR3?

Also how is it more back-to-its-roots than the LR3? The loss of the tail gate alone is enough for me to question that statement. Not to mention the rear seats are now a 60/40 split vs 33/33/33. And the 2 speed transfer is still an option like the later model LR4s. Seems to me LR is still blindfolded trying to find its way home.

LOL No kidding. This OP got forcefed 10 gallons of kool-aid. Nothing about this DIsco5 is "back to roots". Though you are showing your confusion by suggesting a tailgate means anything. The Discovery and Defender had a swing out door, with only the Range Rover having a tail gate.

It's a glorified station Washington with decent 4x4 traction. Otherwise it's a very nice joke that will probably sell very well to the masses who love 21" wheels...it even looks like *** but that's not a functional trait.

Anyway, this thing is crap even for a super functional cruiser with its shorter interior height, loss off storage bins, non-existent space for supplemental ideas like a 2nd battery and less useful rooftop with that goofy super high rise rear hatch. Total loser. I have my 96, 04, and 07 and had a Range Rover..... but now, good bye Land Rover.

Interesting discussion.

My €.02 as an ExPat in Europe: What the customer base want is a posh 4x4 with cache.

The amount of purchasers who buy any LR/RR new with the intent of going off road is low, lower still for serious off roading. JLR has done plenty of research and focus groups. The member of forums who want serious capability are such a low percentage of the market, basically non-entities.

Hell, we can't even decide,lol. From 35" floatation tire to Moab/Rubicon to drive across country to Deadhorse. That is most likely 3 distinctly different vehicle set-ups, and we expect JLR to make those vehicles?

They cannot really even fit it into one new vehicle. The LR trucks we all know/love/mod are from the era when JLR was doing poorly. They have figured out what the profitable market is, and have moved in that direction. We can lament the fact they missed out on the Jeep niche, and that they let the Defender stagnate and flatline. But it happened. Now, they are a very profitable, well known luxury SUV maker. I do not see that changing. Other manufacturers captured the global market for true utility trucks, and it will likely stay that way.

The fact that LR guys that went to LA did not know about frdges and drawers does not surprise me. Stop in at any dealer in the US or Europe with a RTT on a LR4 or Defender. I have done it both in US and across Europe. No one knew what it was.

Nailed it! Honestly we can't blame a business for making money and having a proper market strategy! Hence why the Evoque took the market from the LR2 and Freelander and they are discontinued. I see the Evoque going away for the Sport in a few years as their prices slowly creep closer together.

Toyota is dumping the FJ as well, knowing it is pulling market share from their Forerunner! I was cruising through East Africa a few months back, 20:1 ratio for every Land Cruiser to Defender, same goes in Australia. Funny to see the old Series 3 tow trucks at every intersection in Nairobi though!

KGH nailed it, the market on utility for LR is long gone and will never come back!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I would give it a lot more credit if they at least gave it the option to have 18" wheels. Not 20, not 21, and not 22's. When will it end?!

LR Max

Local Oaf
I would give it a lot more credit if they at least gave it the option to have 18" wheels. Not 20, not 21, and not 22's. When will it end?!

I understand why they are going with bigger wheels. Means you can run bigger brakes. Try doing a panic stop on a Series 3 109 with 600 lbs in the back. That, sir, is not fun. Fortunately its a series 3, and there was a shoulder, so I went grazing.

No one ever complained about having good brakes.

I guess its up to tire manufacturers to produce off road tires that will be compatible with these new rims. Yeah, airing down will probably be a fool's errand, but it is what it is. That or try spacers or something to try and clear the calipers.

Just picked up this sweet ride and getting it ready for Expo West! As soon as I put the Johnson Rods on it, I fit the rack, spare carrier, and snorkel! Gonna be the best trail rig there, may as well leave your Defenders at the house cuz the ladies are gonna be swarming on my ride fellas!

:wings::smiley_drive:
Screen Shot 2017-04-17 at 8.28.38 AM.jpg

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Just picked up this sweet ride and getting it ready for Expo West! As soon as I put the Johnson Rods on it, I fit the rack, spare carrier, and snorkel! Gonna be the best trail rig there, may as well leave your Defenders at the house cuz the ladies are gonna be swarming on my ride fellas!

:wings::smiley_drive:
View attachment 396563

Eric.

One hundred percent LOL. Can't wait to bow down to you at OE West! Holla playa!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
I understand why they are going with bigger wheels. Means you can run bigger brakes. Try doing a panic stop on a Series 3 109 with 600 lbs in the back.

I guess its up to tire manufacturers to produce off road tires that will be compatible with these new rims. Yeah, airing down will probably be a fool's errand, but it is what it is. That or try spacers or something to try and clear the calipers.

Right. I just have to think at some point there's a diminishing return for how much sidewall loss incurred for how much extra braking power gained. Of course this is moot for a road-going car that sees dirt less and less, but you'd think with all the 'heritage' and 'ruggedness' talk at JLR they would at least have held fast at 18" or 19"...

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Right. I just have to think at some point there's a diminishing return for how much sidewall loss incurred for how much extra braking power gained. Of course this is moot for a road-going car that sees dirt less and less, but you'd think with all the 'heritage' and 'ruggedness' talk at JLR they would at least have held fast at 18" or 19"...

Brake swept area requirements should have gone down with the reduction of roughly 20% in weight, ~1000 lbs with the D5. The Evoque was the tell. As the dealer said the Evoque was/is a fashion statement. The D5 continues that fashion statement. Style over substance that will shorten redesign cycles and increase JLR cost. "Style" is the next fad. Not a lasting attribute.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Land Rover has been a status symbol since the beastie boys rapped about it in the 80's. It is the few and the proud that actually use the more modern rovers for their intended use. There will always be the fashion or status symbol owners out there and they are the majority who buy the vehicles. Land Rover or those who are making the decisions at tata will continue to appease them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman

Members online