2017 Discovery drive..Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!

sunrisehiker

Adventurer
Yes,it may resemble Explorer in form, but have any of you driven both vehicles or let alone sit in both ?
I had a pleasure to do both very recently and let me tell you D5 is miles ahead of Ford in many ways ,from overall comfort, material finish, driving pleasure and on and off road capabilities , period .I may dislike a 2 row seats layout or seats not folding flat or even inability to haul a long itms on the roof or even seats not being able to fold flat, but pleasepleaseplease STOP the comparison with explorer.Explorer is just Crap...I had one for lease and two Mountaineers ..never again.

35xj

Adventurer
For those of you haven't had the opportunity to drive the new discovery, you're opinion is pretty invalid ito me. Aesthetics, you are certainly entitled to your opinions on that. Although the car does look significantly better in person than the print ads display.
For those of you on the "it's an explorer" bandwagon..... Yeah, I certainly see some pretty similar styling cues. Otherwise, again if you've not driven the car, your opinion is invalid. Obviously, the discovery is light years ahead of the explore in offroad ability, technology, and pedigree. Does it look like an lr4? A defender? Of coarse not. Does it drive like either one? Of course not. Because it's a new car, with technology that has surpassed the 15 year old lr3/4.
Much the same way that the LR3 surpassed the discovery. Huge leaps forward in comfort, ability, technology. The new discovery is a Great Leap Forward from the previous cars.

All that being said, the LR4 is still one of my favorite cars on the planet.malongside my discovery 1.

Continue the dead horse beating witch hunt

fishEH

Explorer
You can't invalidate an opinion. It doesn't work that way.
If Land Rover didn't want to be compared to the Explorer they shouldn't have made it look like ones, its that simple.
The D5 looks like ***. Everybody agrees on that. The best asthetics compliment I've heard is that "it looks better in person", which isn't saying much.
I'm sure it drives great on and offroad.

The title of this thread is "... Land Rover is getting back to its old self again!". That would imply that at one point Land Rover strayed from its old self. BUT, the D5 is actually the furthest its ever been from its old self!

In the end soccer moms will love this highly capable boiled egg on wheels. It will do great in Moab. BUT it will always look like ***.

*I guess this site censors a-s-s. LOL

mpinco

Expedition Leader
...... Because it's a new car, with technology that has surpassed the 15 year old lr3/4.......

Mmmm, No. Automotive technology is a slow evolution of platform engineering and borrowing from other models. For JLR the typical approach is to introduce it in the Range Rover at high margin, pay for the R&D and slowly move it downstream into Land Rover products at lower cost and higher volume. This makes sense both technically and financially. With the introduction of on-board control systems suppliers become even more important. This also tends to hollow out internal departments and LR heritage. As I previously noted a quick look at LR's product line shows basically the same design theme across all models. Some call it brand identity, others call it jelly beans. There are a lot of jelly beans on the road. The current trend is jelly bean crossovers. Maybe JLR can sell more D5's into this market but there is a brand identity cost to be paid down the road.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
Ok it's not a Ford Explorer. It's an Explorer with better offroad performance and interior, with the exterior shape of a boiled egg with tiny lights. That's it. Pathetic.

First model ARB wont be making a bumper for. Let that sink in.

EricTyrrell

Expo God
First leaked image of the Discovery 6. I promise it looks more butch in person, has integral monocoque roll cage, 100% cage free materials. Your buddies will be so intimidated by your masculine security they wont laugh at you on the trail this time.

f6aae3e02a9fdac68e57a2b233efc256.jpg

Last edited:

morrisdl

Adventurer
Fair enough, but I have sat in both and driven a rental explorer many times. The exploiter is more than capable to deliver what 97% LR owners are looking for in mall parking capabilities and better looking than the D5 - it only lacking in exclusivity. In this day-and-age of Instagram/Facebook promoted lifestyle, the D5 "looks better in person" is not going to make it "4x4 by far".

Last edited:

Jwestpro

Explorer
For those of you haven't had the opportunity to drive the new discovery, you're opinion is pretty invalid ito me. Aesthetics, you are certainly entitled to your opinions on that. Although the car does look significantly better in person than the print ads display.
For those of you on the "it's an explorer" bandwagon..... Yeah, I certainly see some pretty similar styling cues. Otherwise, again if you've not driven the car, your opinion is invalid. Obviously, the discovery is light years ahead of the explore in offroad ability, technology, and pedigree. Does it look like an lr4? A defender? Of coarse not. Does it drive like either one? Of course not. Because it's a new car, with technology that has surpassed the 15 year old lr3/4.
Much the same way that the LR3 surpassed the discovery. Huge leaps forward in comfort, ability, technology. The new discovery is a Great Leap Forward from the previous cars.

All that being said, the LR4 is still one of my favorite cars on the planet.malongside my discovery 1.

Continue the dead horse beating witch hunt

LOL, in what "Land Rover" heritage ways does this toy surpass even my 10 yr old LR3 if it can't go where my LR3 can go simply due to its stupid oversized brakes, longer wheel base and lower ground clearance? Oh, and it can't haul much of anything inside so unfortunately, no amount of nicer leather or ventilated seats can offset its uselessness.

Before you start spouting specs on its "off road" capabilities, getting back from a place with its wheels and tires intact is just as important. This stupid Disco 5 can't even use a decent tire LOL.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Fair enough, but have sat in both and driven a rental explorer many times. The exploter is more than capable to deliver what 97% LR owners are looking for in mall parking capabilities and better looking than the D5 - it only lacking in exclusivity. In this day-and-age of Instagram/Facebook promoted lifestyle, the D5 "looks better in person" is not going to make it "4x4 by far".

My first land rover post in over a year (maybe more), and you sir made me blow coffee all over my keyboard. (and what you say is SO true)

JackW

Explorer
I'm taking delivery of my new TD6 Discovery 5 tomorrow afternoon. Who out there is looking for an Expedition White 2007 LR3 HSE with 139k miles on it - it's going on the block next week.

I'm taking delivery of my new TD6 Discovery 5 tomorrow afternoon. Who out there is looking for an Expedition White 2007 LR3 HSE with 139k miles on it - it's going on the block next week.

Congrats on the new wagon! It will be awesome to hear from an actual owner of the Disco 5. Good luck on the sale of your old ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach