2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

p nut

butter
I really like this thing, but I've only had my 2013 for 2.5 years / 30k miles and I told myself I would keep it at least until 100,000 miles. I really need to stop watching that challenge video.

I saw a 2012-2015 white Tacoma drive by today. I still think that body style looks great. Certainly not worse looking OR performing than the current gen, (In my opinion).

XJLI

Adventurer
I like the previous gens look a LOT better than this one. This one is too squinty-eyed for me.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like the previous gens look a LOT better than this one. This one is too squinty-eyed for me.

It took awhile for it to grow on me. Seeing it person is what did it for me...it really isn't all that bad. The interior is a much improvement. While different, still feels like a Toyota...my hands fall naturally on the controls, everything is where "should" be. Finally put the parking brake in the proper spot too. :D

Last edited:

MTaco

Adventurer
Hey Scott, don't count on those MPG's in the real world. I have 7200 miles on my DCSB TRD OR with an AT. Still running the stock tires, no lift and a tonneau cover. My mileage is at 17.3 overall right now. That's with me cruising to work, taking it easy with the CC set at 70, about 35 miles one way on the freeway. I've done a fair amount of offloading in it, I purchased it at the beginning of bird season, and it's taken me places that I never would have attempted in my full sized Chevy. So far, the MPG's are my only disappointment. This truck kicks but in every other way.

He was getting 24 MPG's when he was going 55 mph.

XJLI

Adventurer
It took awhile for it to grown on me. Seeing it person is what did it for me...it really isn't all that bad. The interior is a much improvement. While different, still feels like a Toyota...my hands fall naturally on the controls, everything is where "should" be. Finally put the parking brake in the proper spot too. :D

I could give the front end a pass if everything else was great, it would probably grow on me. The drums out back really put me off though.

I haven't driven one yet, and won't be in the market for a new truck for at least a year anyway. Plenty of time for all the new trucks to roll out and get compared.

Scott Brady

Founder
Not exactly sure what happened there? Anyone help me out and let me know what I did wrong uploading these pictures?

It is the way the iPhone orients the image. Unfortunately, it is only an iPhone problem and it happens to most images shot with the phone.

Clutch

<---Pass
I could give the front end a pass if everything else was great, it would probably grow on me. The drums out back really put me off though.

I haven't driven one yet, and won't be in the market for a new truck for at least a year anyway. Plenty of time for all the new trucks to roll out and get compared.

Seem to stop fine to me, believe it is beating the Colorado in braking distance.

I couldn't tell it had drums.

Go test drive one...it is nice beefy truck in a smallish package. I have test driven just about the all trucks out there. The Tacoma seems to check all the boxes for me. I keep on telling myself I don't need a new truck...but it sure would be nice. ;)

I have two gripes, can't get manual trans in the ACLB OR package...nor can you get the V6 in the SR ACLB MT. To get the ACLB V6 MT combo, have to get the Sport, and make it into a quasi Offroad.

Would like the SR since I like doing my own suspension, and not have to undo what comes specced from the factory. Even though I drive like an old man, don't think the 4 banger has enough oomph for me.

XJLI

Adventurer
Seem to stop fine to me, believe it is beating the Colorado in braking distance.

I couldn't tell it had drums.

Go test drive one...it is nice beefy truck in a smallish package. I have test driven just about the all trucks out there. The Tacoma seems to check all the boxes for me. I keep on telling myself I don't need a new truck...but it sure would be nice. ;)

I have two gripes, can't get manual trans in the ACLB OR package...nor can you get the V6 in the SR ACLB MT. To get the ACLB V6 MT combo, have to get the Sport, and make it into a quasi Offroad.

Would like the SR since I like doing my own suspension, and not have to undo what comes specced from the factory. Even though I drive like an old man, don't think the 4 banger has enough oomph for me.

Not saying they don't work, it just bothers me that a 2017 truck comes with them. I did notice that I couldn't get the DCLB OR with a manual either.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not saying they don't work, it just bothers me that a 2017 truck comes with them.

True, in this day and age...it should have rear disc, but I am not going to loose any sleep over it. :D

I did notice that I couldn't get the DCLB OR with a manual either.

Don't think the DCLB no matter what trim comes with a MT, which is a bummer.

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
17'5 doesn't seem to far off the real world mark, Fuelly is showing the peak of the bell curve in the 18s. I've been pretty happy with economy so far, 3500 miles in and I'm hovering right around 18.5 with a solid 50/50 mix of city and highway. Also a TRD OR, but with a manual.

Yeah, the main reason for disappointment is I expected better mileage based on the stated MPG from Toyota, that and my old 6.6 Duramax consistently got 16MPG. I know, comparing apples to oranges. A little off topic, but how do you like the manual? I wanted a manual, but I went with the auto so that I could get the crawl control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77