2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

I know this doesn't apply specifically to the pro, but for those that have driven the off road version of the new generation how does the terrain select and the crawl control compare to a-trac on the prior generation? is it an improvement overall? how important is it to be in the right setting for it to work properly/can you tell a noticeable difference in performance between the different settings?

I have only been into this for a few years. My first truck when I caught the bug was a 97 TJ Sahara, no lockers or anything, just 4lo. I now have a 2014 DCSB off road and I was able to use a-trac for the first time a few weeks ago. I have to say, it blew me away with how well it worked. I still haven't had a chance to use the locker (partly because a-trac took me everywhere I needed to go with ease, even in identical places where the TJ would get stuck). There was definitely, as someone said a few posts earlier, that feeling that I was a passenger in the driver seat (except I kinda liked it haha).

I know a big debate among the tacoma community is the value of the off road package with the factory rear locker over the sport or sr5 packages and adding after market locker(s). I don't really recall seeing a major emphasis on having a-trac as a reason to opt for the off road, but after my (brief) experience with it I definitely think it should be.

anyway, appreciate the input from those that have had the opportunity to drive both the prior and new generation versions of a-trac.

p nut

butter
...The older I get, the more I prefer my bicycle.

Don't get me started on the ba-jillion "standards" that have come about in the last few years. 142, Boost, BBxx, blah blah. I'll keep my custom steel frame, steel fork, 1.125" HT and 100/135 qr.

On the topic of full size--I wish I could fit the family in the Tacoma, but ain't gonna happen. But that's ok. Older I get, even full size trucks get me to where I need to go, (with more comfort and same mpg). If it can't, I'll get my bicycle or 4wheeler out.

keezer37

Explorer
Don't get me started on the ba-jillion "standards" that have come about in the last few years. 142, Boost, BBxx, blah blah. I'll keep my custom steel frame, steel fork, 1.125" HT and 100/135 qr.

On the topic of full size--I wish I could fit the family in the Tacoma, but ain't gonna happen. But that's ok. Older I get, even full size trucks get me to where I need to go, (with more comfort and same mpg). If it can't, I'll get my bicycle or 4wheeler out.
Sounds familiar. After spending more time on my truck in the garage and on the computer researching stuff than in my truck driving, I made sure not to make that same mistake with my bike: Rodriguez. Simplicity and quality.

forty2

Adventurer
Sounds familiar. After spending more time on my truck in the garage and on the computer researching stuff than in my truck driving, I made sure not to make that same mistake with my bike: Rodriguez. Simplicity and quality.

Nice. I love R+E, my favorite Seattle shop for sure.

p nut

butter

Nice. I looked at Rodbikes when I was shopping for a drop bar tourer. Ended up with a Fargo, but wouldn't mind one of those sometime in the future.

Best guess: $47-48k

That means it would be the most expensive truck in the line up, unless they come out with a Tundra TRD Pro?

Dr. Cornwallis

Adventurer
It's a good looking truck for sure but with what their asking for the 16 I'll pass. I love my '12 but I'm pretty sure my next truck is going to be a Ram 3500 cummins. I plan to keep my 4.0 tacoma for a long time, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I really like the manual, considering that it's a truck the throws aren't huge and you don't really have to fight it at all. Clutch could probably have a more positive feel but since pedal layout isn't exactly heel/toe conducive and its a truck its not really an issue. Also, I'm one of those automotive evangelical luddites that refuses to own an auto, so even if it was a bucket of rocks I'd still get the manual option so my opinions should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Full disclosure: My wife has a Prius and I occasionally drive it, but only with a bag over my head so no one can see me.

I really wanted the manual again. The crawl control commercial with the guys getting out of the sand trap is what did me in. That changed my mind write there. I like the auto and think it's a good rig, I think that the crawl control's OK too, it's gotten me outta a jam that would have been pretty tough without it. So that was my trade off. Maybe I'll go down to the dealer and try and test a manual out, see what I'm missing.
Prius, now that's a manly ride!

Mojavejohn

Adventurer
I have...or should I say, my wife has a 2012 FJC. Although I'm not really allowed to take it out wheeling, I have snuck it out a few times. It's set up with Atrac and a rear locker. Like you've already said, the Atrac is amazing! It's gotten me up and down a few spots that I never would have thought that I could have gone. Onto my 2016 Tacoma and the MTS. I've used this feature quite a bit and just like the standard Atrac, it works great. Does it work better? That's hard to say, the spots that I wanted to go in the FJ I made and the spots that I've wanted to go in the Tacoma I've made. I don't think that I'd buy a truck just to get the MTS, but I definitely wouldn't buy a truck unless it had Atrac. I'm sure the MTS is technically probably better, but in the real world, both sytems will get you where you need to be. If they had Atrac in the Tundra I'd of probably bought one of those.
I know this doesn't apply specifically to the pro, but for those that have driven the off road version of the new generation how does the terrain select and the crawl control compare to a-trac on the prior generation? is it an improvement overall? how important is it to be in the right setting for it to work properly/can you tell a noticeable difference in performance between the different settings?

I have only been into this for a few years. My first truck when I caught the bug was a 97 TJ Sahara, no lockers or anything, just 4lo. I now have a 2014 DCSB off road and I was able to use a-trac for the first time a few weeks ago. I have to say, it blew me away with how well it worked. I still haven't had a chance to use the locker (partly because a-trac took me everywhere I needed to go with ease, even in identical places where the TJ would get stuck). There was definitely, as someone said a few posts earlier, that feeling that I was a passenger in the driver seat (except I kinda liked it haha).

I know a big debate among the tacoma community is the value of the off road package with the factory rear locker over the sport or sr5 packages and adding after market locker(s). I don't really recall seeing a major emphasis on having a-trac as a reason to opt for the off road, but after my (brief) experience with it I definitely think it should be.

anyway, appreciate the input from those that have had the opportunity to drive both the prior and new generation versions of a-trac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism