2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

thethePete

Explorer
Yes but that falls into the mentality that size=value. That's simply not true. If a person doesn't want, or need a large American HD truck, or if it simply doesn't fit where they need to be able to take it then it could be a $20k truck and still not be a bargain.

p nut

butter
Already exists: http://toyota.com/trdpro/

Starting msrp for the tundra is $43k. So I might be guessing a little high...

Edit: if you price out a tundra pro, you get closer to $47k

Sheesh, duh! Yeah, knew that. :) Guess I was thinking about their redesign in the coming years. Ok, so this Tacoma will probably sell for more than Tundra, at least when it first comes out, then. Crazy to think that a Tacoma would command a price of $50k.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Yes but that falls into the mentality that size=value. That's simply not true. If a person doesn't want, or need a large American HD truck, or if it simply doesn't fit where they need to be able to take it then it could be a $20k truck and still not be a bargain.

I don't consider myself a big guy, I'm 6'2" and about 215-220. The Tacoma seating position I find a bit uncomfortable. I want to like the truck, but couldn't see spending that much for any of the mid-size trucks. I think once they get above 25k they are close enough to full-size that its worth the jump IMO. I guess I'm used to driving a long bed 4 door dually everywhere, so a short bed full size would be a compact truck for me!

nortonian

In the first post it says that the truck in the video had the TRD exhaust. No other source I've read mentions that, although you can see a TRD exhaust tip in the photo of the TRD pro at the Chicago auto show. Will the 2017 TRD Pro come with the TRD exhaust standard or will that be an option?

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Does this have a decreased spring rate compared to the regular TRD off-road? I heard it did - would that preclude many on this site who heavily load the truck?

thethePete

Explorer
I don't consider myself a big guy, I'm 6'2" and about 215-220. The Tacoma seating position I find a bit uncomfortable. I want to like the truck, but couldn't see spending that much for any of the mid-size trucks. I think once they get above 25k they are close enough to full-size that its worth the jump IMO. I guess I'm used to driving a long bed 4 door dually everywhere, so a short bed full size would be a compact truck for me!
All fair points. I'm used to driving full sized trucks from work, and I can squeeze them in some tight spots but I choose to drive a smaller vehicle. Im only 6' so I fit in most things alright. My brother is 6'4" and he could never reasonably drive something smaller than an excab fullsize. So I see where you're coming from, but look at the price of a rzr side by side. They're more than a new car. Worth it, but perceptibly expensive.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
Does this have a decreased spring rate compared to the regular TRD off-road? I heard it did - would that preclude many on this site who heavily load the truck?

No. Stock springs on all trim levels suck for a decently loaded bed.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
No. Stock springs on all trim levels suck for a decently loaded bed.

Yes, it does have decreased spring rate, see 2:34 here. Doesn't decreased spring = less carrying capability? You can easily change springs, but wouldn't that be a shame on those nice Fox coilovers? I'm not just talking about the rear.

I would just run them stock, but I'm happy with 32" tires and keeping it light. Most on this site add tons of weight.

p nut

butter
Yes, it does have decreased spring rate, see 2:34 here. Doesn't decreased spring = less carrying capability? You can easily change springs, but wouldn't that be a shame on those nice Fox coilovers? I'm not just talking about the rear.

I would just run them stock, but I'm happy with 32" tires and keeping it light. Most on this site add tons of weight.

I was answering the second part of your question. I don't think it will preclude those looking to add weight.

Clutch

<---Pass

All fair points. I'm used to driving full sized trucks from work, and I can squeeze them in some tight spots but I choose to drive a smaller vehicle. Im only 6' so I fit in most things alright. My brother is 6'4" and he could never reasonably drive something smaller than an excab fullsize. So I see where you're coming from, but look at the price of a rzr side by side. They're more than a new car. Worth it, but perceptibly expensive.

Do think you get more bang for your buck with a fullsize. However, feel like they are almost too big. I started buying the little Toyotas 25 years ago, because I wanted something zippy and compact for my daily after driving construction equipment all day. No longer work construction, but kept the smaller is better theory. I am only 5'8" though...the Tacoma fits my size about perfect...and feel like a munchkin in the full sizes.

About the only time I feel the Tacoma is too small when there are two of us traveling together...that only happens a couple times of year...so I put up with it.

Price-wise...$40-50K is too much for any vehicle, at least for me. You can still get reasonably priced vehicles...it is that optioned up stuff that gets ya.

$25-30K is about my limit...if I can't stay within that budget...I'll buy used.

I like those base model trucks, kinda bummed Toyota doesn't offer a V6 MT ACLB in the SR package...the 4 banger might be enough for this no longer in a hurry, dude, need to test drive one to make sure. Swinging by there today and seeing if they have any on the lot.

p nut

butter
Do think you get more bang for your buck with a fullsize. However, feel like they are almost too big. ....

I think a regular cab or ext cab full size might be a good option for you. Keeps the overall length down (same as DC or AC Tacoma), but you still get the plush ride, more load capacity, price, etc. while keeping the MPG about the same. Ram or Ford V6 may even get better MPG. Maybe the Tundra won't be too bad, either with the lighter weight. The 4.6L V6 reg cab has an MSRP of $33k, which I'm sure you could negotiate a better price than with a Tacoma.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think a regular cab or ext cab full size might be a good option for you. Keeps the overall length down (same as DC or AC Tacoma), but you still get the plush ride, more load capacity, price, etc. while keeping the MPG about the same. Ram or Ford V6 may even get better MPG. Maybe the Tundra won't be too bad, either with the lighter weight. The 4.6L V6 reg cab has an MSRP of $33k, which I'm sure you could negotiate a better price than with a Tacoma.

I keep on looking at the 1/2 tons... extra cab short bed, is about the "right size" without being overly huge...the only thing, no manual trans. That is the one thing I don't want to give up. Tacoma and Frontier are the only trucks you can still get them in. (there is the ram diesel, waaay too much truck for me)

Even looked at the low roof Ford Transits, could put the bikes inside and ditch my trailer. But no factory 4WD, plus a new vehicle will be my daily...don't want to daily a van.

Always go look and look...go round and round...while not perfect or the best buy, Tacoma fits the needs the best...and fills some of the wants too. See AT has some spy pics of their new aluminum flip pac....mang, that looks perfect.

12698423_1124414230923230_2466053479385635994_o.jpg

942860_1124640180900635_728302532276056686_n.jpg

155mm

Adventurer
If the Raptors and Power Wagons are $50k, I would think they would price the Tacomas just below that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism