2017 TRD Pro Tacoma

Clutch

<---Pass
I never had issues with MT, either. Not with AT for that matter, but to each his own. :) I remember Tacoma 6-sp had issues when they came out in 05. Guessing they've fixed that by now. The 5-sp in my old 2000 was solid.

The Flippac looks awesome. Looks like you'll be building up a solid rig.

Edit: just looked at the SR and "Utility" package with rear seat delete, 4-cyl, 5-sp, 4wd. $24k on the dot. Super simple, and looks solid. If you can make the cabin size work, man, that's a bombproof set up.

Believe they had throw-out bearing issues on that 6-MT. Other than this Trooper I haven't owned very many automatics. There was a C6 on my old F250, TH350's in my two Chevelles IIRC....hearing some of the repair cost of the modern transmissions makes me nervous...probably all for not though. Sure you can get 200-300K out of them, not unlike our modern engines. Computers have really helped in the longevity department.

That SR package appeals to me, a no nonsense, no BS little truck that is getting harder and harder find in this day and age. The Access Cab cabin size will definitely work (my current extra cab has worked for the past 14 years, guessing the ACLB will work for another 14, why change now? ;) :) )...most of the time I am by myself the better half is usually too busy to come with.

Honestly what I have now works darn near perfect...only thing that would be nice is that clamshell rear door on the AC, be a heck of a lot easier getting my gear bag in and out. As it is now I have to fight it to get it in there.

dman93

Adventurer
Honestly what I have now works darn near perfect...only thing that would be nice is that clamshell rear door on the AC, be a heck of a lot easier getting my gear bag in and out. As it is now I have to fight it to get it in there.

If the 1st gen Tacoma (or in my case, T100) had the suicide/clamshell doors, that would be the perfect truck. But it's so hard to cram gear back there and then get it out with the XtraCabs. So if you're going to get a truck with extra doors, might as well go for the TRD Pro with new AT fliptop camper. Maybe someday ....

Clutch

<---Pass
If the 1st gen Tacoma (or in my case, T100) had the suicide/clamshell doors, that would be the perfect truck. But it's so hard to cram gear back there and then get it out with the XtraCabs. So if you're going to get a truck with extra doors, might as well go for the TRD Pro with new AT fliptop camper. Maybe someday ....

Really the only I don't like about it...(mang, wish it had clamshell rear doors!)...has everything I like, 5 speed manual, manual t-case...just "enough" technology with it being too much...enough power for me, suspension is done...best of all it is paid for, it has been for the last 14 years. :D Even for the cheapest new Tacoma, kinda hard loosening the purse strings for a new one, when all and all it isn't going to do anything that much better than what I have already, and but drain the savings.

With the new AT FlipPac...might be some regular used FP's coming up on the market for frugal dirt bags like me. ;)

justinh

Observer
So do we know whether or not a sunroof will be available? With the tech package they are advertising it is normally included, but obviously none is shown on the preproduction model.

austintaco

Explorer
Clutch,
That's been my barometer for getting a new truck for some time, and I always come back to, "it can't do anything that my truck can't do now" or "If I really wanted that feature, I could add one for $xx". Now that the 84 is back up and running, I'm trying to keep all of my junk miles on it so I can save the Tacoma for camping and road trips. I do like the new Tacoma, but I am not ready to cough up the money. I'll wait till life makes me make the decision.

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch,
That's been my barometer for getting a new truck for some time, and I always come back to, "it can't do anything that my truck can't do now" or "If I really wanted that feature, I could add one for $xx". Now that the 84 is back up and running, I'm trying to keep all of my junk miles on it so I can save the Tacoma for camping and road trips. I do like the new Tacoma, but I am not ready to cough up the money. I'll wait till life makes me make the decision.

Some of the guys in this thread were talking about "value"...what I value the most, is my free time. Finally have reached a point in life where I have a bunch of it. I used to have to work my brains out and do a bunch of stuff I didn't want to do....now I basically call the shots, it is really really nice. (really! :ylsmoke:) While not quite at the point where can quit work for good...but I don't have to put very many hours in. I work with my hands, so the more I spend the more I have to work...kinda over the whole work thing...and I rather go ride my dirt bike. Last 2 years I maybe rode the bike 5-6 times, just too busy. Last week I was on it 3 days, and going back out tomorrow! :D

Certainly don't need a $40-50K truck to haul my dirt bike around, when my old faithful does it just fine. The only thing it will do is drain my bank account...and then I'll have to bust my butt to fill it back up...and that is no beuno. ;)

The better half isn't into the whole vehicle thing at all, as long as it gets her where she wants to go she is happy. She is always saying why spend money on a dumb vehicle!!??...you guys are silly!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
WO wo wo, don't you two start bringing anything that hints at responsible financial decision into this thread! Total buzz kill. Let the good people here (including myself) ride this wave for a while.

Here you go, Clutch. Your new truck. Less than 1/2 the miles yours has, manual, access cab with 3rd door--everything you wanted for $16k. Rust-free southern truck.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...2005-Tacoma-Access-Cab-SR5-4x4-6-Speed-Manual

Man you know that cheap skate ain't gonna buy no truck. Haha

Ha ha!

Hey, mine is a rust free AZ truck! $16K buys an awful lot of repairs and fuel. ;)

Oooh...the goal is to be mortgage free in 6 years. I don't see me buying another truck any time real soon. (this is my inspiration)

Willing to bet that new AT Alum-FP is going to be at least $8,000. If the cost of their little basic flatbed trailer is any inkling....they want $7K+ for that thing...I know it has trailing arm suspension and all..but geesh! Paid a $1000 OTD for my 5X8' flatbed....brand new!

Last edited:

rkj__

Adventurer
I'm happy to see Toyota brought the TRD Pro to the new Tacoma. It makes for some good YouTube videos for me to watch.

Now if only GM would build a ZR-2 Colorado, we would see some fun head to head comparisons.

bkg

Explorer
Ha ha!

Hey, mine is a rust free AZ truck! $16K buys an awful lot of repairs and fuel. ;)

Oooh...the goal is to be mortgage free in 6 years.

good for you, dude.. that's impressive. We're on the same track - if all goes well this year, we'll be on the same plan. :victory:

Clutch

<---Pass
good for you, dude.. that's impressive. We're on the same track - if all goes well this year, we'll be on the same plan. :victory:

Thanks man. We will see...we will see....you know what they say about the best laid plans.

I now call them "Loose Agendas". ;)

If I play my cards it "should" work out...if it works out great, if not...hey, that is ok too.

Pfft. You can live in your truck. But you can't drive your house!!

:D

Ha ha!

I don't think the better half would like that much, she already went through that in another life. :)

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Smogged and registered my "new to me" 04 dcab... Had no intention of keeping this rig - was meant to be a quick flip. - but I dig it... I think toyota's best days may be behind them, based on buy-in costs...

Clutch

<---Pass
I think toyota's best days may be behind them, based on buy-in costs...

Yes and no...(maybe, :p ) still believe they build a great little truck.

I do like the physical size of the 1st gen over the 2nd-3rd. While I am a cheap SOB (and for good reasons, have other goals than driving a brandy new truck) Do believe the Tacoma is one of the better vehicles to invest in, the resale value is bonkers on them. All vehicles are horrible investments if you can even call it an investment since you're gonna loose money no matter what...with the Tacoma you'll most likely loose the least.

The market has changed for the Toyota trucks in the last few years, I am seeing many come from cars (at least reading on TW)...a lot of guys who had BMW's. Why we are seeing more and more fluff on these trucks...the market is demanding it...heck, I think there is too much, yet there are some that think it isn't enough....some want va-jay-jay warmers to come standard! mang.I was reading one post from a former BMW owner...and his list of demands of "must haves"...it was fricken nuts...too many soft handed nancy's buying trucks now-a-days.

Truck manufactures make all their money on the fluff packages....blame the 72-84 month loans (people affording the monthly payment only, which is crazy to me) if people were forced to pay cash, think we would see vehicles specced a little different. Typical truck buyers are insane...Jalopnik had a great article about it: LINK

"Deals" still can be had. The SR is probably the best bang for the buck...comes with a lot for a base model truck, AC, power windows, power door locks, power steering, etc (I do remember the days when power steering was an option ;) )...should be able to get one of those for $25K OTD...not bad, I don't think. Would be nice if they offered the V6 in the SR...with a price point of $27-28K OTD...but they don't...oh well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism