2018 Ram Power Wagon

jadmt

ignore button user
super nice rig. I know I asked in your other thread but for those who didn't see it, what is your average mpg?

GreggNY

super nice rig. I know I asked in your other thread but for those who didn't see it, what is your average mpg?

Thanks. This is where the truck sits as of now for a lifetime average. I do a lot of highway which definitely helps the mileage, but I've got no complaints for an 8,000lb rig riding on 37s for most of its life. Computer was adjusted for the 37s with an AEV pro cal.

IMG_8433.jpg

Pnwfullsize

Thanks. This is where the truck sits as of now for a lifetime average. I do a lot of highway which definitely helps the mileage, but I've got no complaints for an 8,000lb rig riding on 37s for most of its life. Computer was adjusted for the 37s with an AEV pro cal.

View attachment 605223
About what i get in mine on 35s. Not a lot of interstate driving but a lot of 2 lane highway and little city driving.

TXJFrosty

Any issues with installing the AEV pro cal? I have one and just need to make some time to install it. I need to do it soon, the TPMS is driving me nuts now with the 37's.

View attachment 605223

GreggNY

Any issues with installing the AEV pro cal? I have one and just need to make some time to install it. I need to do it soon, the TPMS is driving me nuts now with the 37's.

No issues. Everything seems calibrated correctly and was within 1-2 mph versus a real GPS. I haven't gone to the dealer yet to have them finish the process to turn off the dash lights though. I try to avoid the dealerships at all costs.

GreggNY

Interested in knowing how hard it is to take on/off, rough install time, etc. Interested in your overall thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Honestly, It's kind of a pain to get on and off. If the rack on the truck wasn't 7 feet off the ground, it would be a bit easier. I underestimated how tough it would be and got it up there with one other guy, but it would've been MUCH easier with 3 or 4 guys. The tent is intended to mount to regular crossbars, and not the pioneer rack that I have so that caused some other hiccups. The bolts that are included with the tent were too short (for my application- not Roofnest's fault), so I had to go to a few hardware stores before I tracked down longer stainless bolts to use. The only ones I could find were long enough, but a little too long so it required some extra awkward wrench turning. I do have the quick release feet on my rack, so when I take it off, I can leave it mounted to the rack and just free the whole assembly from the feet bases. As of now, it sits fine on the truck but is a little higher off the roof than I'd like, but it's not terrible and I'm not sure if there is another option for a lower mount. Oh, and the ladder included is about a foot (at least) too short. It barely touches the ground with it right up against the side of the truck- no good. So I've been propping it on a box, but will be calling roof nest this morning as they make a 10.5' ladder replacement for the 7.5' that is included.

As far as the actual install, Roofnest said I would have to drill and through-bolt the tent to the rack. The track spacing under the tent is 24" apart which would put the mounting location at the very edge of the slats on the platform. Drilling right at the edge would've been annoying and it would probably be better to remove the slats and notch the sides of them. So my solution was to just totally remove 2 of the platform slats and mount to the rack like normal crossbars. Pic is below. I couldn't think of any reason why this would be a bad idea strength or structure wise, but if anyone sees a potential problem with it, please let me know. More pics to come...

DSC02375.jpg

UglyViking

Well this is a bit of a bummer to hear. I'm also hoping to keep everything as slim line as possible. I was hoping that perhaps me and my 100lb wife could get it up and on but it's sounding like I'll have to convince a buddy to come over for beers.

This may be very naive but I'm sort of surprised I've not seen an option to mount one of these hard sided RTT direct to the roof rails, or with some small adapter. It would seem that since the RTT is hard sided you could easily add an adapter to the rails that is as small as possible and mount the RTT direct to that, then let the tent itself distribute the load across.

michalny

Excellen
Honestly, It's kind of a pain to get on and off. If the rack on the truck wasn't 7 feet off the ground, it would be a bit easier. I underestimated how tough it would be and got it up there with one other guy, but it would've been MUCH easier with 3 or 4 guys. The tent is intended to mount to regular crossbars, and not the pioneer rack that I have so that caused some other hiccups. The bolts that are included with the tent were too short (for my application- not Roofnest's fault), so I had to go to a few hardware stores before I tracked down longer stainless bolts to use. The only ones I could find were long enough, but a little too long so it required some extra awkward wrench turning. I do have the quick release feet on my rack, so when I take it off, I can leave it mounted to the rack and just free the whole assembly from the feet bases. As of now, it sits fine on the truck but is a little higher off the roof than I'd like, but it's not terrible and I'm not sure if there is another option for a lower mount. Oh, and the ladder included is about a foot (at least) too short. It barely touches the ground with it right up against the side of the truck- no good. So I've been propping it on a box, but will be calling roof nest this morning as they make a 10.5' ladder replacement for the 7.5' that is included.

As far as the actual install, Roofnest said I would have to drill and through-bolt the tent to the rack. The track spacing under the tent is 24" apart which would put the mounting location at the very edge of the slats on the platform. Drilling right at the edge would've been annoying and it would probably be better to remove the slats and notch the sides of them. So my solution was to just totally remove 2 of the platform slats and mount to the rack like normal crossbars. Pic is below. I couldn't think of any reason why this would be a bad idea strength or structure wise, but if anyone sees a potential problem with it, please let me know. More pics to come...

View attachment 609971
Excellent write up. Falcons seem to be on backorder now. When did you place your order, and how long before you got it?
I also have a pioneer rack, were the included bolts and brackets too short after you removed the slats? Can you post few picutes after you have the tent mounted. I am very curious about your mounting method. Thanks in advance
Michal

GreggNY

Excellen

Excellent write up. Falcons seem to be on backorder now. When did you place your order, and how long before you got it?
I also have a pioneer rack, were the included bolts and brackets too short after you removed the slats? Can you post few picutes after you have the tent mounted. I am very curious about your mounting method. Thanks in advance
Michal

I ordered on 07/27, got a shipping email on 08/18, and it got delivered on 09/03. The bolts included were a little too short for my comfort. Again, not roofnest’s fault- they are made for mounting on standard bars. The nut would catch but there wouldn’t be too much extra thread coming through and I wanted a little insurance in case anything came loose. So the replacement bolts that I found are a little too long but better than too short. I’ll try to grab a pic of the mounts for you soon.

I was planning on getting away for a night to test it out this week but that fell through. I’ll definitely be heading out next week though so more pics will follow. Let me know if you have any more questions

GreggNY

A couple pics holding the supplied bolts next to the replacements. You can see that the factory ones would just be even with the bottom of the nut when tightened up. The mounting bar underneath flexed/bent a bit when tightened, but before this, the bolt probably wouldn't even reach the bottom of the nut.

DSC02419.jpg

DSC02422.jpg

And a couple with the tent. It sits a little higher than I'd like but overall, not too bad. I also originally thought the platform was too wide, but it leaves the outer channel open with just enough room to mount up awning brackets if I decide to go that route. I bought the platform way before the tent and at the time, I didn't even know what tent I would go with. So overall, it worked out pretty well.

DSC02398 1.jpg

DSC02400 1.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
Looks good and clean. Please do a review on the roofnest, I’ve been looking around for awhile and can’t decide if I want a RTT or not or which one is best for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad