2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I've been following along with your build. It's really nice and seems to fit the bill for what I would like to do in the not so distant future (currently in the design phase). Can you elaborate on the sizing of the tubing for the subframe (2 x 3 ?) and what size/strength that you used for the subframe?

Thank you! The subframe is a hodge podge of a bunch of different sizes and shapes of tubing.

I am not all that happy with it (long story i dont care to elaborate on until i fix it) and a decent portion of it will be redone at a later date.

For now, its safe and functional, but definitely needs some "fixes" (details later)

somewhereinursa

Sorry to hear that. Based on the photos and video it seemed like it would be more than adequate. I would like to build something as close as possible to the original Turtle but I'm having problems trying to figure out how to attach it to a Ram 5500 and still maintain the original lines, i.e., not raise it too far above the frame. That's why I asked about the sizing. I'm working on a model in Fusion 360 and want to get things right before starting on the build.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Sorry to hear that. Based on the photos and video it seemed like it would be more than adequate. I would like to build something as close as possible to the original Turtle but I'm having problems trying to figure out how to attach it to a Ram 5500 and still maintain the original lines, i.e., not raise it too far above the frame. That's why I asked about the sizing. I'm working on a model in Fusion 360 and want to get things right before starting on the build.

I know the top of the subframe sits 5” above the top of the frame rails, if that helps at all.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Okay, so you drink water with a little food coloring. Or is it watered down beer. Those are the lines I give my father-in-law when he breaks out Bud, Miller, Keystone, etc. He basically buys whatever is cheapest. I keep telling him my pee has more beer in it than what he drinks. All fun and games. LOL!
Gotta try Canadian beer... haha

ITTOG

Gotta try Canadian beer... haha
I have had Molson and Rickard's Red. I had to spice Molson up a bit with a michelada mix in order to be drinkable but it didn't seem any worse than the others I mentioned. I rated the Rickards a 3.25 out of 5. I guess I am still trying to find a good Canadian beer.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have had Molson and Rickard's Red. I had to spice Molson up a bit with a michelada mix in order to be drinkable but it didn't seem any worse than the others I mentioned. I rated the Rickards a 3.25 out of 5. I guess I am still trying to find a good Canadian beer.
Oh yeah, Rickards is good. Try Sleeman Honey Brown or Alexander Keiths India Pale Ale. Molson usually is quite terrible.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
The one i ended up trying was KOKANEE

Stayed at a RV park on my travels because it was laundry day and grabbed a 30 pack because it was all they had.

I am used to drinking cheap crappy beer so i figured it would be no big deal.

I forced 3 of them down and couldnt take it anymore and gave the rest to the couple camping next to me.

Worst beer ever! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy