2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

TrailTestedMFG

Ha, I see zero use for one at this point

You likely already have one. On our 2015 3500 I just turn cruise control on and then hit set and it idles up to 1200 RPM. Try it!

The Cummins documentation I have read says block heater recommended below 0F, but not required until -20F. I've had no issues starting as low as -7F. I tried to get a block heater cord shipped to me on the road, but it got lost along the way. I also plan on being able to run it for about an hour off our batteries on really cold mornings.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
You likely already have one. On our 2015 3500 I just turn cruise control on and then hit set and it idles up to 1200 RPM. Try it!

The Cummins documentation I have read says block heater recommended below 0F, but not required until -20F. I've had no issues starting as low as -7F. I tried to get a block heater cord shipped to me on the road, but it got lost along the way. I also plan on being able to run it for about an hour off our batteries on really cold mornings.

Awesome! Good info! Thanks!

yeah, I’m pretty sure I have it also just haven’t messed with it much

telsbree

The Bad / No So Impressive:

• MPTs on pavement. I tried every pressure imaginable from 30psi to 80psi and the road noise on pavement is fairly obnoxious. Granted, its been a long time since i've run mud terrain tires, and maybe i am just getting older and crankier, but their noise level vibration, add to drive fatigue for sure, and i definitely wont be burning big miles on what i call the "transit days" of my trips. Not sure if this is something i will get used to, or if i will look at other options. Its tough because their off-road performance is amazing, and they still look new, so i see them lasting a long time. But the droning on the freeway got old pretty quick. And yes, they've been balanced, double checked, and the Centramatics help, but.... I know some mud tires quiet down after they wear down a little, so thats what i am hoping for at this point

I'm curious, how would you compare your 5500 with MPT81s to the Fusos you've driven in the past? Is it just the tire noise or are there vibrations too?

I drive everywhere in noise canceling headphones cause I can't stand the noise of my Ford Transit with all-terrains ?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I'm curious, how would you compare your 5500 with MPT81s to the Fusos you've driven in the past? Is it just the tire noise or are there vibrations too?

I drive everywhere in noise canceling headphones cause I can't stand the noise of my Ford Transit with all-terrains ?

No vibrations really. Just the noise

Steering of ram5500 vs Fuso, TO me is night and day. Ram is a lot more responsive and tighter, doesn’t feel sloppy.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The one i ended up trying was KOKANEE

Stayed at a RV park on my travels because it was laundry day and grabbed a 30 pack because it was all they had.

I am used to drinking cheap crappy beer so i figured it would be no big deal.

I forced 3 of them down and couldnt take it anymore and gave the rest to the couple camping next to me.

Worst beer ever! :)
Yeah, I will agree with that. We def have some crappy beer too.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Even after a year, you didn't learn about the 'Gram's falsehoods about amber driving/fog lights? ;)

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
A big thanks to @DiploStrat and a few others here who i forget for talking me into going the compositing toilet route, over the cassette style!

Finally got it out for a local trip last weekend to the desert and had the toilet fan plumbed and ready.

I was admittedly a little skeptical...

Well.. to be blunt and nasty... 4 days, and 4 giant nasty booze induced turds later, i am very happy to report, it works as advertised 110%

Camper has been sitting in the sun for over a week now, and there is ZERO smell/stank whatsover.

I have a super sensitive nose and there isnt even the faintest smell at all.

Yeah, you can find cheaper ones, yeah, you can make your own, yeah, your clapped out 1987 Jeep Cherokee goes where i cant go, but this is the unit i went with and super super happy with it:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
So one of the trickier parts of this build has been the dinette table believe it or not...

Trying to maximize space and storage and having one dinette chair 36" wide and the other 26" made it tough to plan the table and having it easily change into a bed if needed.

The original plan was the telescoping pedestal style like a few folks here have done and is basically standard on bigger yachts. Bottom line, the base was just too dang big for the area and my feet would basically be resting on it at all times.

Several friends rave about the Lagun system, and several hate it. I decided to try it for myself, since i know its an easy resell if i dont like it.

What i did was take a 3/4" thich piece of marine plywood, route the edges round, and then route a bunch of channels in it so the adhesive has something to adhere to and not get all squished out.

Cleaned and prepped both surfaces, used a bunch of adhesive, filling all the channels i routed out, and let it cure for a week. The results are rock solid.

However, i am still on the fence if this is going to be my final mount for the table though.

It definitely saves a bunch of space, and the movement allowed is perfect for my needs and my fat ass getting in and out of the seating area.

I ordered the standard kit, and the upright isnt notched high enough and the clamping mechanism is too low, and when at table height, there is noticeable annoying movement.

This should be alleviated using their longer arm kit with the longer cutout notch and dual handle setup. One is on its way to me now. If nothing else, Laguns customer service is awesome!

My thought process of mounting the wood where i did, was i wanted it in the center of the upright arm for maximum support and load distribution.

Here is a pic, and i'll update later after i get the longer arm and it gets some real life use.

tablemount_FORUM.jpg

Big Rudy

If your new Lagun model doesn't work for you, you might try notching the upright with a grinder, and adding a second through bolt. I did this with ours, although we do not raise and lower often. It was added to the end of our kitchen counter as a better alternative to a flip up extension, which blocked our entrance door, more great user friendly engineering!

Great build, thanks for all the good ideas and info, keep it coming.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
If your new Lagun model doesn't work for you, you might try notching the upright with a grinder, and adding a second through bolt. I did this with ours, although we do not raise and lower often. It was added to the end of our kitchen counter as a better alternative to a flip up extension, which blocked our entrance door, more great user friendly engineering!

Great build, thanks for all the good ideas and info, keep it coming.

Thanks. That's exactly the issue, and exactly what the fix would be if i were to do it myself.

However, i have THIS on the way and it should kill 2 birds with one stone, and likely work better in the future when i put another bracket for the table outside:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Ok, some kinda uneventful updates, but its progress, sooooo...

Its no secret i have no wood working skills, and its most definitely my least favorite part of all this, but i've kinda got the hang of it with some guidance from friends.

Have learned several valuable lessons too. One big one, DONT EVER EVER EVER Polyurethane something, until you're 100% on the color! :)

I spent damn near a weak building this side of the dinette, and sanding and staining it. Came out amazing in my opinion...

But... Once i got it in the truck, i absolutely hated it, and there was way too much Feng, and not nearly enough Shui. It stuck out so much, it was extremely annoying.

Sooo... After all this work making it pretty, i stripped it all down again, and using some gray stain to match the floors.

It's still some trial and error, and this isnt the final product, but i much prefer this and the direction its going in.

The large dark piece will be painted black to match the other side.

Note: After ample messing around with and testing the Lagun table system, i am not impressed with it at all, and will be selling it soon (good sales pitch huh? ha)

dinette1_FORUM.jpg

dinette2_FORUM.jpg

dinette3_FORUM.jpg

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I haaaaaaate my dual handle one. I haven’t found the second handle increases stability at all and my knee is always hitting it. YMMV of course.

Yeah, i am not impressed with any aspect of the Lagun system at all. Wayyyyy too much movement for my liking

It'll all be for sale soon once i figure out a better option

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy