2020 Ram 5500 DIY Composite Panel Camper Build Thread

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Air filter seems excessive but not overly so for a bunch of off-pavement and dusty conditions. More concerning is that rear fuel filter. That's some wild stuff. Not sure what the 6.7 Cummins factory fuel filter regime is, but I'd take a look in the tank (or the secondary?) for contamination. Could also just be the "first change", which I usually do very early on newer vehicles, like at 3k miles to get the factory gunk out. FWIW I've always called BS on extended intervals for diesels. I think these ridiculous factory suggested intervals might have a lot to do with many modern diesel engine problems.

Yes, i am thinking its "First change" issues with the rear fuel filter, that and i had some anti gelling additive in there for a bit when i was driving around in zero temps.

Both the front and rear FUEL filters will be replaced with these at the next change, MUCH better filtering, and a hell of a lot easier to change:

Alloy

Yes, i am thinking its "First change" issues with the rear fuel filter, that and i had some anti gelling additive in there for a bit when i was driving around in zero temps.

Both the front and rear FUEL filters will be replaced with these at the next change, MUCH better filtering, and a hell of a lot easier to change:

Something with a clear bowl is better

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
After weeks of back and forth emails with measurements, more measurements, a few more measurements, and then some measurements....

My one off custom Front shocks are finally here from ADS and hoping to bolt them in this weekend.

Hey @mk216v these are also "Pintops" [insert middle finger kissy face smiley here]

Specifically valved for the airbags of the Kelderman system, and not springs, so in theory, should be a night and day improvement.

I was SUPER impressed with the shocks ADS built for me for my Tundra, so went to them first for these.

Top notch customer service!!!

The resi hose is a bit more stiff and thick than i thought, so routing might be a bit interesting...

Hopefully the rears arrive soon!

ADSFRONTS.jpg

Last edited:

StenchRV

After weeks of back and forth emails with measurements, more measurements, a few more measurements, and then some measurements....

My one off custom Front shocks are finally here from ADS and hoping to bolt them in this weekend.

Hey @mk216v these are also "Pintops" [insert middle finger kissy face smiley here]

Specifically valved for the airbags of the Kelderman system, and not springs, so in theory, should be a night and day improvement.

I was SUPER impressed with the shocks ADS built for me for my Tundra, so went to them first for these one-offs. Top notch customer service

The resi hose is a bit more stiff and thick than i thought, so routing might be a bit interesting...

Hopefully the rears arrive soon!

View attachment 747295

SWEET!!

Looking forward to the test report!

CHEERS!!

ripperj

Explorer
Re air filters, if this got mentioned I missed it.
I just replaced the air filter in my Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi.
When I picked up the new filter at the local parts place I commented that it seemed much thicker than the OEM(going from memory). The parts guy(a really good dude) double checked the numbers and mentioned it was even the same for the diesels. I brought it home and it was definitely thicker, but plenty of room in the air box.

Point of the conversation :) the Wix 46930 has almost an inch deeper pleats than the OEM(your pics look like the same thinner OEM I had), so about 33%ish more filter area.

Maybe worth looking at .
Keith

View attachment 747851

Edit: looking back thru the thread , Idasho had the pics with the thinner filter, the 5500 pics look similar to the Wix, so there must be a difference with the OEM Ram Hemi vs diesel’s, but Wix only makes the one for both.View attachment 747852

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Re air filters, if this got mentioned I missed it.
I just replaced the air filter in my Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi.
When I picked up the new filter at the local parts place I commented that it seemed much thicker than the OEM(going from memory). The parts guy(a really good dude) double checked the numbers and mentioned it was even the same for the diesels. I brought it home and it was definitely thicker, but plenty of room in the air box.

Point of the conversation :) the Wix 46930 has almost an inch deeper pleats than the OEM(your pics look like the same thinner OEM I had), so about 33%ish more filter area.

Maybe worth looking at .
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProView attachment 747670
View attachment 747671

Edit: looking back thru the thread , Idasho had the pics with the thinner filter, the 5500 pics look similar to the Wix, so there must be a difference with the OEM Ram Hemi vs diesel’s, but Wix only makes the one for both.

Thanks. The OEM filter i removed and the new one i replaced fill the entire box.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Well...

I FINALLY got my front shocks installed and took it for a test drive. WOWWWWWWWWW.... Night and freaking day!!!

Apparently i missed an email (went to junk folder) that the rears are delayed 3 weeks because they are a weird custom thing and hose is coming out of bottom. No biggy, no trips planned.

All my measurements worked out perfectly, and ADS got everything PERFECT and they fit like a glove.

Our plasma table is having issues, so i ghetto fabbed some Resi brackets out of scrap i had laying around, these will be replaced later, but functional for now.
I mounted the resi's had high as possible, and also as easily accessible as possible, so i dont have to crawl under truck to adjust them. Easy Peasy tuning!

The Resis are also 2.5" diameter so finding brackets was much harder than you'd think. I found some nice aluminum light mounts for a 2.5" roll bar with a rubber pad that worked perfectly!

Super happy with how this all came together and fit. Even more excited about how much nicer it rides now, and i still have the stockers in the rear. Woh

As you can see here from this angle, this was the fitment issue with the Kelderman kit trying to jam the biggest shock i could on it. They used a cap from their raptor shocks and everything fell into place perfectly.

phone.jpg

_8509110.jpg

Untitled_HDR4.jpg

_8509147.jpg

Last edited:

StenchRV

Well...

I FINALLY got my front shocks installed and took it for a test drive. WOWWWWWWWWW.... Night and freaking day!!!

Apparently i missed an email (went to junk folder) that the rears are delayed 3 weeks because they are a weird custom thing and hose is coming out of bottom. No biggy, no trips planned.

All my measurements worked out perfectly, and ADS got everything PERFECT and they fit like a glove.

Our plasma table is having issues, so i ghetto fabbed some Resi brackets out of scrap i had laying around, these will be replaced later, but functional for now.

As you can see here from this angle, this was the fitment issue with the Kelderman kit trying to jam the biggest shock i could on it. They used a cap from their raptor shocks and everything fell into place perfectly.

I mounted the resi's had high as possible, and also as easily accessible as possible, so i dont have to crawl under truck to adjust them. Easy Peasy tuning!

The Resis are also 2.5" diameter so finding brackets was much harder than you'd think. I found some nice aluminum light mounts for a 2.5" roll bar with a rubber pad that worked perfectly!

Super happy with how this all came together and fit. Even more excited about how much nicer it rides now, and i still have the stockers in the rear. Woh

View attachment 747709

View attachment 747710

View attachment 747711

View attachment 747712

THANK YOU for the report and the work on sourcing shocks for the Kelderman set up. When we get a bit further down the road build wise and weight wise I look forward to a shock "upgrade".

SWEET!!

CHEERS!!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Since the #1 question i get is the same on both YouTube and instagram, regarding the springs for the subframe to truck frame, here ya go...

This is my latest attempt to stiffen it up. Works a little better, but still a ton of movement i dont care for.

Here is a video of the shocks at different settings, and the new subframe springs.

Video is long, boring, and poorly edited, but youlll get the idea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat