2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ITTOG

Were you able to look into the lake and see how clear the water was? I was told it was clear enough to see 40 ft but I have never been there. Supposedly a helicopter crashed into it and is 50 ft below the surface and you can see it from the surface.

Let me know if you have any questions about cool places in Oklahoma. Unfortunately it is a lot like Texas on there not being much public land but there are some cool things to see.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Were you able to look into the lake and see how clear the water was? I was told it was clear enough to see 40 ft but I have never been there. Supposedly a helicopter crashed into it and is 50 ft below the surface and you can see it from the surface.

Let me know if you have any questions about cool places in Oklahoma. Unfortunately it is a lot like Texas on there not being much public land but there are some cool things to see.

I didn't make any effort to see how clear it was although it looked like a nice lake overall. Maybe local scuba divers could share additional details - I can remember diving in areas we referred to at "blackwater dives" in the middle of the day with my compass pressed up against the front of my mask so we were able to navigate at 20-30 feet below the surface.

Any recommendations for cool places in Oklahoma?

I have had the chance to be inside a few dams in my day. Feeling the water behind it, is something else.

If you find yourself in the Gorge. Between Oregon and Washington, the Bonneville Dam lets you tour the power house, and its pretty cool. Both the Oregon and Washington side are worth checking out.

Thanks for the suggestion and I will make sure to stop in to tour the power house so I can learn the differences. The one I toured was not part of a dam so it will be interesting to see the similarities and differences. Thank you!

ramblinChet

Goodbye Texas and hello Oklahoma! After spending seven weeks in Texas where I enjoyed another Starship launch, relaxed at Padre Island National Seashore, and watched the total solar eclipse within the path of totality with friends on a cattle ranch, it was time to ramble on.

While passing through Chickasaw Nation I stopped at Fort Washita Historic Site and noticed this book: The Prairie Traveler. This historical book is "a hand-book for overland expeditions. With maps, illustrations, and itineraries of the principal routes between the Mississippi and the Pacific." For my second night in the Sooner State I found a spot to camp along Atoka Reservoir inside Choctaw Nation. The big name associated with the nearby towns of Atoka, Kiowa, and McAlester is Reba McEntire who most recognize as a famous country music singer. Reba even has a nice restaurant in Atoka named Reba's Place - next time I am passing through I will stop and try the chicken fried steak!
RC 24-027.jpg

Some may not realize that McAlester Army Ammunition Plant is in McAlester, Oklahoma are responsible for manufacturing the GBU-43/B MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs). This is the largest conventional weapon ever used in combat and produces a yield equivalent to a small tactical nuclear weapon.

The particular weapon has always been interesting to me since I was in the area when the first one was tested on Eglin AFB back in 2003. What few realize is that prior the "first test" that was publicly announced there was an identical test approximately one week earlier that was secret. By the way, those grid fins on the rear - a Russian invention, amazing. Yes, I am an aeronautics geek!
RC 24-028.jpg

Moving to the east I entered the Choctaw Nation - this is Tvshka Homma, which means "Red Warrior." The building was also the Choctaw Capitol building until 1907 when the Tribal government was dissolved and the Federal government took control. All bricks were manufactured on site using clay from nearby. The sandstone sills were also from the area as was all wood used.
RC 24-029.jpg

This is the Tribal Court where I sat for some time trying to imagine what historical discussions, debates, and decisions, took place here. I love visiting historic places such as this and just relaxing trying to imagine what took place in the past. Upstairs is the Choctaw Nation Museum and the section I enjoyed the most featured the "code talkers" of WWI and WWII.
RC 24-030.jpg

Here I am camped beside Nanih Waiya Lake in the Choctaw Nation preparing for my next overland adventure. This lake was named after a sacred location in Mississippi called Inholitopa iski, or "mother mound," where some believe the first Choctaw was born into this world. Nanih Waiya was also the name of their first capitol in Indian Territory after being forced to move from Mississippi to current day Oklahoma in 1838. There's so much history everywhere I go an I just love learning about everything.

My next adventure will begin in Oklahoma and end in central Arkansas - I will spend much time in the mountains alone 'cause I'm an Indian outlaw...
RC 24-031.jpg

Last edited:

ITTOG

Based on your last sentence I assume you are going to do the Talimena drive. The best time of year is in the fall but it should be pretty now as well. You are near Broken Bow Lake. The lake is amazing and lots to explore around there. There is a great camping spot called eagles nest sitting a couple hundred feet above the north end of the lake. There is only one spot so you are alone. Lots of forest service roads in the area. Fly fishing, hiking, and canoeing as well. Hochatown is a neat place to explore.

A little north of Ardmore is Turner falls. Beautiful waterfall and some homemade fried pies. Arbuckle Wilderness is there. It is kind of a dump but the animals are fun and hungry.

Black Mesa Summit/Park is way out west in the panhandle.

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge in SW Oklahoma

Pensacoal Dam in NE Oklahoma - Pensacola Dam is claimed to be the longest multiple arch dam in the world, its main span consisting of 51 arches totaling 5,145 feet (1,568 m) in length, and supporting a walkway and State Highway 28, a narrow two-lane highway. A 120 megawatt, 6-unit powerhouse sits at the west end, with 21 spillways on the east end. You can take a tour of the dam. Below the dam they have huge rock crawling events. The lake is nice as well.

Salt Flats in Jet, OK

Heavener Runestone Park - believed to be the southernmost point in NA that Vikings visited/lived.

Robbers Cave - bandits would hide out hear in the wild west

Lets not forget the worlds tallest hill, Cavanal Hill. Located in Poteau, Cavanal Hill is known as the “world’s highest hill.” Clocking in at 1,999 feet, it’s one foot shy of being able to be classified as a mountain. The road to reach the summit is a scenic drive that’ll take about 30-40 minutes, and once you reach the top you’ll have an extraordinary view of the Poteau River Valley below.

More info at https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/oklahoma/mountains-in-ok/

ramblinChet

Thank you @ITTOG for a wonderful list of amazing places to visit when I return to Oklahoma. And you were close when you suggested I might be traveling on Talimena Drive - when I reviewed information regarding that beautiful drive I came close to changing my plans. Next time it will be at the top of the list.

Thanks again!

Here are two snapshots from my upcoming trip report:

Where I began...
OT xx1.jpg

And 300 miles of trails later, where I ended...
OT xx2.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

My most recent overland adventure was the Ouachita Traverse which begins in the Choctaw Nation in southeast Oklahoma, and ends just outside Little Rock, Arkansas. The trail lasted five days, mileage totaled 300, and actual drive time was 18 hours - I am working to slow my pace and enjoy more of my adventures. Nearly all of the time was spent driving on dirt, gravel, or mud, roads and trails. Some were well maintained whereas two sections totaling 50 miles were very rough and unmaintained.

This overland trail passes through the Ouachita National Forest which totals 1.8 million acres and just in case you are wondering, Ouachita is pronounced wash-ah-tah. History shows that some of the first explorers to interact with Native American Indians in this area were French and this helps to explain the interesting French spelling of an Indian word. The trail was a bit more than expected compared to the limited information I was able to collect beforehand. I imagined this would be all gravel roads with a few water crossings. Some of it was not, although I really enjoyed that trail and the challenges associated with it.
OT 001.jpg

Day one of my adventure was not what I expected - the first 35 miles took five hours of very intense driving and navigation to complete. These first miles would be perfect for a Jeep or naked mid-sized truck, as long as you do not mind endless scratches. If you drive a full size rig with a popup camper you can expect damage. Driving between trees so tight that they fold your mirrors, and dragging 1-2" branches down the side and over the top, is ok for a few feet here and there. But driving in those conditions for several miles at a time, it's really hard on you and your vehicle. I have been off-roading off and on for 30+ years and this is the tightest and longest section I have ever traveled. I would have liked to take a picture but was unable to open the door and much of the time the trees were so close together I was unable to squeeze between them if I crawled out the window. And to be honest, after a few hours, I just wanted to get back to open trail.

Sections of the trail opened up while traversing the ridge-line of the Kiamichi Mountains and I passed through several dozen large puddles. Average depth was around one foot and while most had firm bottoms, a few were soft and muddy. Here is the worst of the muddy ones - for reference, I drove at a moderate speed through all in two wheel drive. My guess is in the rainy season the conditions could be significantly worse.
OT 002.jpg

The road has been tough for my AEV Prospector and Four Wheel Camper so once we broke out into some open space and the remainder of the trail "appeared" to be easy, I figured I would take a picture of this workhorse. I do my best to avoid and minimize damage to my rig but I bought her to use her and therefore, am not shy when it comes to bumps or bruises. Interesting fact - while traveling through the mountains I crossed back and forth between Arkansas and Oklahoma at least five times!
OT 003.jpg

This is an empty hangar at Mena Intermountain Municipal Airport where Barry Seals C-123K Provider aircraft flew out carrying illegal machine guns and missiles to the Contras in Nicaragua, which were then knowingly trafficked to Iran in exchange for money. Some of that money was then used to support the Contras while the rest was used by the CIA to fund other illegal and more importantly, untraceable, operations. Once the arms were dropped in Nicaragua, Barry would then fly to meet with the Medellín Cartel in Colombia, load up with drugs (primarily cocaine), and fly back to Mena, with the approval from then Governor Bill Clinton. The drugs would then be sold to high-level drug traffickers in these United States for distribution through the US with the drug money once again being used by our CIA to fund additional illegal operations both here and abroad.

Interestingly enough, there was a certain strange feeling of sorts felt while exploring this still active airport. A number of private vehicles that passed by slowed to take a closer look and then minutes later, two airport security vehicles came by. My guess was that word spread fast that a serialized AEV Prospector was on the flight-line and folks wanted to check this beauty out. You can find additional information on the Iran-Contra Affair to include specifics on the CIA, NSA, DEA, etc. involvement if you dig around. The truth is out there and if you still believe our despotic government staffed by thousands of psychopathic individuals still care about us common folk...unfortunately, you are dead wrong.
OT 004.jpg

Trees are something you should be prepared to deal with if you plan to drive hundreds of miles through the mountains. Some are small and simple enough to cut with a handsaw while others would require a chainsaw, winch, and log chain to move. This one was just too big and would take such a long time to clear I opted once again to navigate around. Cutting and moving a large tree weighing 5,000-7,000 pounds containing so much potential energy is a dangerous exercise and really should only be attempted with multiple people when time is not a critical consideration.
OT 005.jpg

When overlanding you must always be prepared for navigating around a washed out bridge, massive tree blocking the trail, etc. In this case FS774 had a locked gate and although there was a clear path where others had been driving around the gate, I respected the closure and opted to review my map and navigate around. Having an uncluttered cockpit with Gaia mapping software being displayed directly on my factory Uconnect 8.4-inch with touchscreen is clean and simple.
OT 006.jpg

After spending a few days on the trail I jumped off to refuel at Mount Ida and since Lake Ouachita was along the way I decided to spend time there. This is my new camp on one of the coves off of Lake Ouachita. This is a quiet little place and the trail coming in is rough and overgrown confirming that it is seldom used. I can imagine there are dozens of primitive camp spots just like this surrounding the lake.
OT 007.jpg

For most people these days, sleeping outdoors is an unusual event - this is sad. Since it is normal for me to sleep in the forest, mountains, desert, etc., I rarely stop to think of how different the natural and pure world is when compared to the man made make-believe one that I once lived in.

Consider this - everything I feel, see, hear, touch, and smell is real. None of this is a digital recreation; none of this is temporary or make-believe. Come outside into the real world, enjoy the truth, see what God has created for us to enjoy. Escape from digital prison and join myself and others in the wild. Once you arrive you will understand...

Matthew 6:25-34
OT 008.jpg

If you have a chance to drive across a spillway below a dam would you? After completing the trail I drove a few miles south to visit Lake Winona and drove across the spillway with a smile listening to a funny song by Primus.

Later this year, or sometime next year, I plan to return to this area of the country to explore the Ozark Mountains in greater detail. It may have been last year, or the year prior, that I enjoyed some trails in the Ozarks but I promised to return and spend a month or so exploring more.
OT 009.jpg

Here is a dynamic shot of my AEV Prospector crossing a typical puddle along the trail. It's best to be in 1st or 2nd gear and in low range so you can keep the engine RPMs up which creates higher exhaust back pressure, a smoother running engine, and minimization of a potential stall. Move forward fast enough to create a bow wave but not a splash.

Each of us must ask ourselves when we are on our deathbed, will we smile knowing we are rich with material objects, or will we smile being rich with memories? I consider myself a rich man, not rich with money, but memories. Spend more time with your family outdoors and create everlasting memories...
OT 010.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

These past two weeks have been a filled with travel and intentional stops along the way - I am heading home to Virginia.

Part of me is excited to be heading home although another part desires to remain on the road and metaphorically, never go home. My time home will be used to perform some upgrades and maintenance on my vehicle before heading back out into the wilderness. I am expecting to spend a few weeks finalizing designs and placing orders for parts and having components built. Maybe break away for a week or so to perform some local exploration and then return for a few weeks to install everything. I guess that is the real struggle, stopping to perform upgrades to make life easier in the long run or choosing the short term benefit of remaining out on the open road.

As difficult as it is to set aside the short term I have always been more of a long term thinker and planner so I know exactly what I will be doing.

Back to my recent travels - after completing my most recent adventure I felt the Mississippi Delta calling my name. Last time I was in the Delta I spent time in Clarksdale, Mississippi, on the eastern shore of the Mighty Mississip. This time I was going to explore Helena, Arkansas, which is on the western shore of the big ol' river. Below is the Pillow-Thompson House which is one of the most beautiful homes I have ever visited.

Ask yourself this question - if our society has advanced so much and we are all so much smarter, why are truly beautiful homes like this no longer being built by skilled craftsman? There is absolutely no argument that the common man has access to virtually unlimited information and resources that men from 150-200 years ago could not even contemplate. But as smart as we are, our society has been deconstructing itself, moving backwards, falling apart. Is this due to our inner desire or is this due to something else...
RC 24-032.jpg

On a much lighter note, pun intended, Helena is known as the blues capital of the Delta. It is also home to the legendary AM radio station KFFA which is host of King Biscuit Time. Famous artists who spent much time in Helena included Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, Memphis Slim, etc. I'm not sure when the last time was that you drive through a small town, rolled down the windows, and listened to a local AM radio station but this is how my brother feels when he does...
RC 24-033.jpg

Here's an interesting story - I was spending the afternoon in the parking lot of a Walmart in southern Tennessee. I stopped to pick up supplies and since it was a sunny day I had my 200 watt solar suitcase out soaking up some juice. I was inside my camper and as often happens, a passerby stops to check out my rig, ask some questions, share stories or plans, etc. This time a young man stopped in and after a bit of small talk, and really listening to him, it was obvious that something down deep was troubling him. I squared up with him and really began to listen.

Now I'm not 100% sure why I am doing what I am doing but I do believe each of us have a solemn duty, an obligation, to help other to the best of our ability. So I listened, and reassured him that all of our lives seem like roller-coasters much of the time, and that's normal. All of us make bad choices and create problems for ourselves and others that seem to be insurmountable. This is good though, this is life, this is yet another opportunity to step up and take control of the situation, to make things better, to gain experience and wisdom, and to be able to pass it along and share it with others. He smiled and as he left I let him know that I would pray for him later that evening, and more importantly, that prayers work.

Around 45 minutes later he returned with a bag of food and a shake for me. He didn't have to do that but it was one more example of how kind and compassionate people can be. He confessed he had been a drug addict to a dangerous degree, had just been released from lock-up, and was on lunch break from his new job. I smiled, thanked him, and let him know that in the eyes of God, we are all equal, we are all sinners. There is no difference between any of us, we are all the same, we struggle, we sin, we try hard and fall again. But the secret is to never quit.

"Get up. Dust off. Reload. Recalibrate. Re-engage. And go out on the attack.” - Jocko Willink
RC 24-034.jpg

I was invited to spend the night sleeping on the flight line of a small public airport on the Tennessee and Mississippi state line deep in the heart of the State Line Mob country. This is where Sheriff Buford Pusser, a man who had been stabbed seven times, and shot eight, lived and died. Some may associate his name with a movie about him titled Walking Tall.
RC 24-035.jpg

The next morning I woke up early, watched the sun rise, and enjoyed watching the owner of a Vans RV-14A fuel up and do some flying. The folks around here are just really nice and its always fun to explore an area, learn about the history, sample the local foods, etc. I guess my main suggestion regarding travel is to minimize time in the larger places where everyone goes and to focus more on the small, unnamed, out of the way towns that most everyone else drives by. There's history everywhere and I based upon my own experience, the smaller and less formal are more relaxing and truthful.
RC 24-036.jpg

When it's lunch time, I love finding options such as this. A buddy of mine who also travels shared a great search strategy to find the most authentic places to eat at the best price no matter where you are. He uses the Google to set his price to the lowest range and then sorts for the food options with the most stars. Time and time again I end up in seedy sections of town, in a dirt parking lot of a used tire store with trashy motels within walking distance, and the food it out of this world. I've met many interesting people, listened to their stories, and enjoyed fine authentic foods.
RC 24-037.jpg

Have you ever visited a business where men can sit around, tell war stories, eat fresh food off the grill, play with guns, and wrestle with a 100+ pound guard dog? Wild Geese Trading is my good buddies shop and whenever I pass through Virginia I always make time to hang out with Chris and the other ex-military deplorables.

If you have a business, pick up an assortment of used couches, stuff them in a corner near a fireplace, make sure you are close to the safes, and toss a grill just outside the back door. Invite other good men to spend time and talk about anything and everything. We need men to spend time together, to build trust amongst one another, to conspire and prepare to make these United States whole once again.

A few of the topics discussed today were: animals always go for the liver when they eat you, lots of chicks in Morocco are smokin' hot and they hitchhike, most WWII memorabilia sucks except the German gear, Middle Eastern men with multiple wives usually have personal jets with extended range fuel systems, and machine guns are really easy to get in some African countries but ammunition is almost impossible.

Clean yourself up, square everything away, and get your house in order. Meet with other men and get ready, we have some heavy lifting to do over the next decade or so.
RC 24-038.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Although the primary reason for me visiting home is to spend quality time with family and friends, a secondary reason is to perform some upgrades and maintenance on my adventure vehicle. I am confident these will be beneficial upgrades considering all of my travels over the past several years and how I have sorted through what I really need and use frequently, and how much time each of the operations take.

I guess the best example would be the electrical power I have available when camping - I don't require much but to be honest, it seems that a portion of each day centers around finding power and topping off the factory battery in my Four Wheel Camper. Right now I am in my camper looking outside at the cloudy sky and wondering if I should deploy my Renogy 200-watt solar suitcase or move to a different location and set it up there. Provided my vehicle is oriented relative to the sun properly in a well lit area, it only takes me three minutes to deploy my solar suitcase and about the same to stow it. That's not much but if I am stopping into a grocery store on a bright sunny day and plan to be inside for thirty to forty-five minutes, I must make a decision - how bad do I really need that energy?

In my opinion, when configuring your overland vehicle one of the most critical questions to answer is: part time or full time? If I am traveling part time and my adventure most often involves driving out to a beautiful camping area and spending a long weekend at the same location - six minutes to deploy and pack up the solar system, or thirty minutes to deploy and pack up a soft rooftop tent, are largely insignificant. But when you travel full time these minutes add up quickly and become a burden. With an ideal rig you pull into an area, turn off the engine, and everything is ready to go. The more frequently you travel the more you will focus on efficiency and minimizing time wasted setting up and tearing down.

It is for that reason I have decided to permanently install solar panels on my roof and at the same time, upgrade my electrical system.

I explored several different options regarding how to mount the solar panels on the roof and in what quantity and configuration. I decided that 500 watts in the form of two 250 watt panels would be reasonable for my application. I wanted more but truthfully, it's the 150 pound load limitation of the Four Wheel Camper roof that pulled me back, and that's fine. Now the panels that I plan to order only weight 30 pounds each, and we can add an additional 10-15 pounds for brackets and such for a maximum of 75 pounds but let's not forget the weight of rain or snowfall on the roof. All these numbers add up quickly and must be considered.

If I had to order my Four Wheel Camper today I would have had these tracks installed as a factory option. I considered having this done when I originally placed my order but I decided I would create my own racking system and install 1,000 watts of solar up top. This is prior to me really digging in and researching how the roof was manufactured and what the roof load limits were. In summary, I think FWC did a great job with their design although it was never intended to support loads exceeding 150 pounds, which is fine.

The Yakima tracks are 60" and are sold in a pair. Since my roof is 144" long, I ordered two pair for 120" of coverage which will leave 6" on the front and rear. The FWC roof has a deliberate bow in it which I assume is for some additional strength but largely to promote water run off. This is one of the key reasons I elected to go with the Yakima tracks which are used by FWC for factory installations.

Yakima tracks.jpg

Today I also placed an order for a NOCO AC plug port along with an assortment of brass Milton HIFLOWPRO air fittings. I spent some time and performed calculations regarding the potential benefit of using these hi flow fitting versus standard and at my intended pressure and flow rate, there really is no benefit - I purchased them anyway since the additional charge was minimal. I also ordered a small tube of Loctite 565 to use as thread sealer when installing the air fittings.

My total for the AC port, fittings (two S-760, two S-761, one S-764, one S-765), and thread sealant was $65.

GCP1-Main-Image_First-Image_3000x3000_1.jpg

HIGHFLOWPRO™ (V-Style): For High Volume, Low Pressure pneumatic applications and offering 70% more air flow, these air compressor fittings also accept both M-Style™ and A-Style plugs from all other competitive like couplers/plugs, however, V-style is recommended to retain maximum flow.

Milton HIFLOWPRO.jpg

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
As a fellow FWC operator:

1: Those roof tracks are very useful. The flexibility of use for solar panels, ski racks, a kayak is key. Who knows for sure what tomorrow will bring forward as far as your needs/desires.

2: Keep your panel mounts "low and clean" and the panels "tucked back" from the front and sides of the roof to remove snagging hazards from trail use.

3: I suggest starting with one solar panel on the roof. Install 1 and live with it a bit. My 160 watt OEM FWC panel generally (about 80-90% real world travel time) meets all my needs. I'm usually "battery charged fully" by 10-11 AM.

My electrical use includes propane furnace, 130 Isotherm refridge, and a MaxxFan whenever I need it.

If you install 2...remember you will be lifting two every time you set up.

ramblinChet

As a fellow FWC operator:

1: Those roof tracks are very useful. The flexibility of use for solar panels, ski racks, a kayak is key. Who knows for sure what tomorrow will bring forward as far as your needs/desires.

2: Keep your panel mounts "low and clean" and the panels "tucked back" from the front and sides of the roof to remove snagging hazards from trail use.

3: I suggest starting with one solar panel on the roof. Install 1 and live with it a bit. My 160 watt OEM FWC panel generally (about 80-90% real world travel time) meets all my needs. I'm usually "battery charged fully" by 10-11 AM.

My electrical use includes propane furnace, 130 Isotherm refridge, and a MaxxFan whenever I need it.

If you install 2...remember you will be lifting two every time you set up.

Hello Frank and thank you so much for your first hand experience - the type of information you provide is the most valuable.

And you bring up a good point regarding the flexibility of the Yakima rack system - this is one of the main points that pulled me away from fabricating my own solar only system. With regards to keeping the panels "low and clean" I do see an advantage to that although I have also been researching panel temperatures and solar degradation. It seems mounting a panel with an air-gap of 100-110mm is optimal for increasing convection and radiation from the bottom surface. You can read more here.

It will be very interesting to see how two panels feel up top. The good thing is that they will be centered and slightly forward on the roof. I do plan on upgrading the air struts to the maximum that FWC recommends. If that is still not enough I will take advantage of my onboard air system and some simple for of pneumatic lift. Thank you again and happy trails!

ramblinChet

Free parts for my upcoming permanent 500 watt solar system!

Well, actually these were components were purchased around 5-6 years ago that were scheduled to be used on my 2001 Jeep TJ build. Some may not realize that prior to my AEV Prospector with a Four Wheel Camper I lived in a Jeep with a James Baroud Grand Raid hard-shell rooftop tent for 3.5 years. I purchased the Jeep brand new and still own it but it was just not the right rig for full time travel over extended distances. There are some of these parts that I know I will use for certain in this build but a few of them might not - time will tell. Based on my 500 watts of solar I ran the calculations and was happy to realize that this Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 would be the exact charge controller I would require.

A solar charger gathers energy from your solar panels, and stores it in your batteries. Using the latest, fastest technology, SmartSolar maximizes this energy-harvest, driving it intelligently to achieve full charge in the shortest possible time. SmartSolar maintains battery health, extending its life.
RC 24-039.jpg

Up top we have a few power ports (12/24V dual USB & 12V DC socket) that can be used for charging purposes - I am pretty sure I will be using both of these since they are low draw and easy to install while working on the system. I have always liked Blue Sea Systems AC and DC components since they are "engineered to withstand the demanding applications in Marine and Specialized Vehicle electrical systems."

Hidden on the bottom surrounded by wires is the shunt from a Victron Energy BMV-712 Smart battery monitor with the optional temperature sensor that was pulled from my Jeep TJ after using it for many years. The BMV head unit which displays information has already been installed in my camper although I may decide to relocate it depending upon the layout of all the other components.

This BMV (Battery Monitor Victron) range are a group of high precision battery monitors. Their essential function is to calculate ampere hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery. Think of these monitors as your battery ‘fuel gauge’, with a time-to-go indicator and much more.
RC 24-040.jpg

Here are a trio of Blue Sea 187-Series surface mount thermal circuit breakers in 40, 60, and 100 amp. My guess is that I will use the 100 amp for sure and most likely one of the others. The cost of these items may seem slightly high to some users but I have never been shy about spending good money for premium products. Heck, as hard as we work, we deserve it.

My message to all men is to stop asking permission to spend money if you believe that it is logical. Just do it and if questioned don't explain and subliminally beg for forgiveness. Make masculine decisions and continue moving forward towards your goal.

Thermal circuit breakers provide heavy duty circuit protection for 25 to 200 Amp loads when switching and circuit protection are both required.
  • Single lever operation—clearly visible
  • Trip-free—cannot be held closed after trip
  • Self-trimming case eliminates need for mounting panels or trim bezels
  • Large clearance around terminal studs accepts up to 1/0 AWG lugs
RC 24-041.jpg

This is a device I may not end up using but there is always a chance I might change my mind. It is a Victron Energy Smart Battery Protect 12/24 | 65.

The Smart BatteryProtect disconnects the battery from non-essential loads before it is completely discharged (which would damage the battery) or before it has insufficient power left to crank the engine. When using Bluetooth to program the Smart BatteryProtect any required engage/disengage levels can be set. Alternatively, one of nine predefined engage/disengage levels can be set with the programming pin (see manual).
RC 24-042.jpg

The final two free components are a m-Series Mini On-Off Battery Switch with Knob - Red, and ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover. The manual battery switch has a continuous rating of 300 amps at 48 Vdc so I most likely will use it for my battery bank cut off.

Switches a single battery to a single load group
  • Ignition protected—safe for installation aboard gasoline powered boats
  • Case design allows surface, front panel, or rear panel mounting
  • Isolating cover with snap-on sections protects rear contacts

There is a good chance I will remove the OEM fuse block installed by Four Wheel Camper and replace it with the ST Blade Fuse Block but I really have not spent much time considering this. Sure, the factory fuse block has six positions but to be honest, it appears to be a low quality product.

Consolidates branch circuits and in-line fuses
  • Positive distribution bus with #10-32 stud
  • Can be used for 24-hour circuits
  • Models available with or without a cover
  • Cover satisfies ABYC/USCG requirements for insulation
  • Fuse blocks with covers include 20 write-on circuit labels
  • Tin-plated copper buses and fuse clips
  • Accepts ring or snap fork type terminals
  • Accepts ATO® and ATC® fast acting blade fuses
RC 24-043.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Over the past several years I have thought long and hard about what type of power system would really work best for my style of overland travel. A power system can be very simple if you favor one style of travel - here are some examples:
  • short travel and extended camping - solar system
  • long drives and short camps - DC-DC converter
  • campgrounds with power - charging system
As adventurers, many of us are restless with only one style of travel so it pays to build in some degree of redundancy when it comes to collecting power. The system I am currently designing is slightly different when compared to some of the original variations I had in mind although one fact has remained constant - early on I decided it was important to build a system based largely upon one manufacturer: for me it was Victron Energy who are based out of the Netherlands. I also met with REDARC from Australia and strongly considered their assortment of automotive electronics. Based upon my research, both are top-shelf companies and I believe 99% of adventurers would be happy with either company.

One of the central components to my system that ties everything together is the distribution system. You can view this as a heavy duty positive and negative busbar that will be modified to also contain four MEGA fuses. Power will be connect to this central part of the system and then be distributed to DC loads. Of course, I priced out individual busbars, fuse holders, fuses, all the additional connections that would be necessary, and I am actually saving a few dollars and will end up with a cleaner installation with fewer connections. Keep in mind that each connection results in additional resistance (inefficiency) and my goal is to build an efficient system, within reason.

Here is the Lynx Power In (M10) that I selected as the distribution component for my system.
Lynx Power in (M10) (front).jpg

The system, as is, will not accept MEGA fuses but here is a video by Explorist Life detailing how to add fuse holders. If four circuits are not enough, here is another video by Explorist Life showing how to add one or two additional fuses. My goal was to order these four components from Explorist Life and help an upcoming company but they do not accept phone calls and when I emailed them with a list of components I would like to purchase from them the reply I received was essentially, "order from what's available on our site and if it's not, too bad." In short, they didn't wish to be bothered with a quick 5-10 minute call before spending $1k with them. I made an effort to do business with them and still appreciate all the great information they provide in their videos.
Lynx Power in (M10) (front-open).jpg

For me, my primary source of power for the majority of my travels will be my solar system which will consist of two 250 watt panels and a SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 charge controller. When driving, my secondary source of power will be the new Orion XS 12/12-50A DC-DC battery charger. This component is one of the primary reasons I did not design and install a system approximately one year ago; I had met with Victron Energy staff members and was informed that they would soon be releasing the 50 amp charger. The largest one prior to this was a 30 amp version that was not very efficient and I decided to delay my build and wait for the new more powerful and efficient unit. Also, when I originally ordered my truck I spent the additional $295 for the dual alternators rated at 380 amps.
View attachment Orion XS 12_12-50A Non-isolated DC-DC charger (top).jpg

Although most everything in my truck or camper is based off of a 12 Vdc power system there are still occasional items that must be powered or charged using a 120 Vac power. I know many larger recreational vehicles take advantage of larger system which combine an inverter and charger, I decided for my application that a separate module for each role would be best for me. I was set on a 250 watt inverter since I use it so little but after some time began to consider the 375 and 500 watts versions. For the few additional dollars I decided to go with the 500 watt option since there is always the option that I purchase something AC powered in the future which would require an inverter this size. The price and size increases significantly with a 800 and 1,200 watt units. This should be fine for my application.
PIN125010510_Inverter 12V 500VA 120V (top).jpg

At last we arrive to me third and final source of incoming power - an AC to DC charger which will permit me to plug my vehicle into a common household AC outlet. I opted for the Blue Smart IP22 12V 30A single output charger. Now you can begin to see why I ordered my EXTREME All-Weather Extension Cord months ago and NOCO AC plug ports in a more recent post. I really do not believe I will be hooking in to shorepower that often but I can see myself occasionally camping at a location for several days during bad weather and taking advantage of shorepower. Currently, if I am visiting a family member, friend, or stopping at a campground to shower up, my first thoughts are how will I position my vehicle so the solar panels are not in the shade. Simply being able to pull up and plug in will be a nice option.
Blue Smart IP22 Charger 12V 30A (1) 120V (top).jpg

I decided to order once again from PKYS INC who are marine electrical system experts based out of Annapolis, Maryland. Over the years I have ordered marine electrical parts from them and they have always been quick to answer a phone call and provide detailed answers to my technical questions. PKYS also has all of my components in stock and had great prices relative to other retailers. I make an effort to deal with small private companies and would encourage you to do the same. One of the big problems we are wrestling with as a nation is the fact that so much of our business is processed by so very few. When I spend money at the largest companies wuch as Amazon or Walmart it does not make me feel good. Unfortunately, in todays world, money is power. And when we give an individual or company our money, we are handing some of our power over to them.

I hear dive bombers and empire down.
PKYS 03.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

The ability to define an optimal air system capacity for specific pressures and volumes is a subject I still would like to learn more about. In my mind there should be an ideal sized system regarding tank size and volume of air in an air line for filling a series of four single 37" tires from 1 atm (14.7 psi) to 3 atm (44.1 psi) in the shortest amount of time possible. Obviously, the shortest time would be the result of attaching the compressor out directly to the valve stem but at the same time the air is way too hot for that.

Also, when detaching from one tire and moving to the next, that takes time, and that time would be best spent with the compressor running and storing additional capacity. But we must keep in mind that once we introduce a storage tank into the equation, the volume of that tank increases the volume of the system we must raise to a particular pressure once the air outlet has been connected to the tire valve. I spent some time performing calculations but things became overly complex very quickly since all air compressors pump different cubic feet per minute at different pressures. At some point in the future I still plan to revisit this to solve it once and for all.

In an effort to move this part of my project forward, I set my calculations aside and out of respect for time, decided to order an ARB aluminum air compressor tank with a one gallon capacity and four 1/4" NPT ports. These are a bit pricey but they are very nice units and in my opinion, worth the extra few dollars. A one gallon tank will act as a small buffer but it is small enough that it will not impact the system as a whole once that connection between the compressor and the tire has been made. I guess in this situation it would be safer to slightly under-size the capacity of the system.
de6ebf3277e1c__50364.jpg

I ordered my ARB air tank from Rusty's Off Road in Alabama. Some time ago I met up with a long time friend which resulted a series of long talks with many laughs - we sat back in our chairs and reminisced about our earlier days racing superbikes and off-roading all around these United States. Most of our adventures together took place in the 90s and at that time, Rusty's was just beginning to take off. I guess the one thing that stands out about Rusty's compared to other manufacturers like TeraFlex, Rubicon Express, etc., is that their products are offered at a fair price and they just work. Nothing fancy of flashy, just good products at a fair price. On that note, I figured I would send a few dollars down to Rusty to say thank you once again for doing what you do.
Rusty's ARB air tank.jpg

A good house battery is one of the most critical components in my camper since it powers my 12 Vdc National Luna refrigerator. If I lose power in the camper the result will be spoiled food and drink - that's not good when you are exploring the mountains, forest, or desert, and are miles away from any other humans. Currently I am running the OEM battery which came with the Four Wheel Camper when it was purchased back in 2021. The house battery is a LEOCH LDC-12-90-G24 which has done well but keep in mind it is only a 90 Ah AGM battery which means I only really have half the capacity (45 Ah) to use at any given time. I was planning on using another Battle Born battery which I used previously in my 2001 Jeep TJ but that's another story for another time - I won't spend my money with Battle Born ever again.

Based off the past few years of heavy intermittent research which included videos by DIY Solar with Will Prowse, I elected to go with two 12V 100Ah Group 24 Deep Cycle LiFePO4 lithium batteries from LiTime. Although LiTime has a wide variety of battery sizes available I elected to maintain the OEM group 24 size since my Four Wheel Camper battery storage system is configured for storing a pair of group 24s. Since lithium batteries have 100% depth-of-discharge that means I am able to theoretically use the entire 100 Ah from each battery so I will increasing my available energy from 45 Ah to 200 Ah. That is a 345% increase in energy available by switching over from one 90 Ah AGM to two 100 Ah lithium batteries.
LiTime12V100AhGroup24LiFePO4LithiumBattery_Built-In100ABMS_1280WhEnergy7.jpg

Here is some additional information detailing the differences between lithium and AGM batteries. Although less weight is always a bonus for overland travel I would ask that you focus in on how many cycles each type of battery is capable of - this is where the long term value of lithium batteries really shines. In summary, I believe lead-acid or AGMs are good choices for short-term (2-3 year), low cost applications where size and weight are of little concern. When you begin to move into longer-term (3+ years) applications where size and weight are a consideration, but long-term value is very important, lithium batteries dominate.
LiTime12V100AhBCIGroup24LithiumBattery_RechargeableLiFePO4BatterywithUpto15000Cycles_1.28kWhan...jpg

Since it's Memorial Day there are additional discounts available and free shipping is always a nice bonus. In summary, I am receiving two 100 Ah lithium batteries delivered for $507 - that's not bad. And based upon the experience of Will Prowse, these batteries are just fine. The great thing about Will is the fact that he has been testing and deconstructing countless batteries and other solar related equipment for several years and provides a science-based objective analysis in his reports.

Can anyone guess why I did not select the "better" batteries with low-temperature protection or Bluetooth capability?
Li Time.jpg

Last edited:

ramblinChet

After much research, consultation, and consideration, I purchased a photovoltaic DC isolator from Benedict GmbH. This component may seem inconsequential compared to other larger and more expensive ones but improperly sized and/or wired DC isolators have probably been responsible for more fires and damage to solar systems than any other component. It is my understanding that many other DC isolators are polarized and can easily be wired improperly while other have long disconnect times which maintain a DC arc during disconnection under load. The product I purchased eliminates both of those potential issues.

One additional safety step each of us can employ prior to initiating a solar disconnect is to remove all AC and DC loads from the system. If you turn off your inverter (AC loads), and disconnect your batteries and other DC loads, the solar panels should theoretically be producing almost no current. This alone will greatly reduce the size and strength of a DC arc.

Over the years I have worked for Austrian, German, and Swiss, companies and with rare exception, they design, engineer, and produce the finest electrical and mechanical components throughout the world. And yes, this piece may cost 50-100% more compared to other similar ones but spending a few additional dollars for the finest components is a small price to pay when comparing against a failure, or fire, while alone in the wilderness. If I am required to perform maintenance on my system, or secure solar for some other reason, I want to be confident that my solar disconnect does not result in a fire.
Benedict.jpg

The distributor in North America is Benedikt and Jäger USA, Inc., and after speaking with a technical representative my order was placed though Digi-Key, and shipped immediately. As an added measure of safety, I reached out to one of my closest friends who is an electro-mechanical genius and holds fifty-plus patents, and reviewed my choice with him. If any of you are interested in additional details regarding this component, I have attached a PDF to his post.
B&K LS32 PFLH4 A4.jpg

My onboard air system has suffered from a minor fault for quite some time - the locking head on the Milton single head air chuck inflator gauge is a poor match for my AEV Salta HD wheels. When I release the lever on the air chuck after pressing the chuck on to the Schrader valve, the lever contacts the wheel and forces the chuck head to loosen and leak much of the time. I guess that is one of the few downsides of having a recessed valve stem. I purchased this particular air chuck inflator gauge with a three foot hose so I can clip on the air chuck head and stand next to the tire and check the pressure as I inflate.
milton.jpg

My solution to the aforementioned problem is to install the LockNFlate air chuck in place of the Milton air chuck. After a year or so of using it in a wide range of conditions, I will provide an update.
locknflate 01.jpg

• Six steel jaws lock onto any Schrader valve to create a secure, hands-free connection.
  • 1/4” NPT thread compatible with most standard air hoses
  • Hardened steel collet fits all standard Schrader valves [VG8/8V1 valve threads]
  • Rated to 150 PSI - suitable for garage and industrial airline systems, auto and manual tire inflators, portable pressure gauges, and constant pressure systems
  • Heavy-duty construction built to last and stand up to everyday use in even the busiest tire shops, service bays, and garages.
  • AVAILABLE IN 2 STYLES: Open Flow or Closed Flow
    • OPEN FLOW: Air passes through freely on or off the valve stem. For use with inflator gauges and automatic systems. If you are controlling your compressor's airflow through a trigger or foot pedal, then you want an OPEN flow.
    • CLOSED FLOW: Chuck must engage the tire valve for air to flow. For use directly from a tank compressor's air hose. If you are putting the air chuck directly on the compressor hose, you want a CLOSED flow, so that air stops flowing when you aren't attached to the valve stem.
locknflate 02.jpg

Most of time I do my best to order directly from the company for two reasons:
  1. All of the profit goes directly to the company and not a middle-man - I believe this is the best practice for small to medium sized companies.
  2. I increase my probability of receiving the latest version of the product - when you order from a warehouse or middle-man, the component may have been an older variant that has been on the shelf for some time.
locknlube invoice.jpg

Attachments

• DC-Solar-Disconnect-Switches-LS16-to-LS65-Datasheet.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk