2021 RAM 3500 Tradesman | AEV Prospector | FWC Grandby

ramblinChet

Is the 'failure of AEV differential cover' the loose bolts you described back in your post #614 or is/was there another issue? I was getting ready to buy the front one, and you certainly have given them a real world test, so a very good source for a testimonial (good or bad).

You are correct - the design failure I am speaking of is the unexpected loosening of the bolts securing the AEV differential cover to the axle. Following a lifetime of working in the military aviation and space industries along with a significant dose of automation and robotics one thing I can say for certain is that I read all manufacturers instructions and install a component using premium tooling. In this case my torque wrench had only been used twice since it had been calibrated at a NIST traceable ISO 17025 metrology laboratory.

What is most disappointing is that AEV spent more time and effort discussing how to properly apply the sticker compared to anything else. Of course, a differential cover installation is a simple event but the key point to remember here is that the AEV covers are very thick nodular iron and weight maybe ten times what the stock covers weigh. With that in mind, maybe using the stock fastening method and values would not be sufficient.

I am pretty certain AEV never performed any significant testing on the covers regarding is they remain in place while being exposed to hundreds of thousands of miles of rough terrain. My front and rear differential covers became loose and the front was loose enough that it permitted water to enter while still retaining all the differential oil - I discussed this with AEV and the person I spoke with was entirely unable to understand the significant difference in viscosity between water and 80W-140 gear dope and how a seal may permit water to leak in but not permit heavy gear dope to leak out.

In the end, I am out around $2,000 to replace the front differential, gears, and bearings, and AEV states they have nothing to do with it. The technician I spoke with at AEV danced around in circles, changed his story, and generally left me wondering if AEV has been bought by another investment group and is not being managed and directed by them. The customer service is certainly not the same as it was years ago.

I still think the AEV differential covers are the finest available but with one caveat - you must check them regularly to verify the bolts have not come loose. To me, this is a design failure since when was the last time you have been required to check the bolts on your OEM differential covers?

For reference - see the attached AEV instructions which are poorly written and conflict with themselves and each other.

Attachments

• AEV_Ram_Front_Differential_Cover.pdf
    346.2 KB · Views: 8
  • AEV30259AD.pdf
    219.1 KB · Views: 3

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
You are correct - the design failure I am speaking of is the unexpected loosening of the bolts securing the AEV differential cover to the axle.

I would laugh at the page and a half on 'sticker installation' with the related 'sticker hazard warning' if it were not for your experience. You would think with a sticker that dangerous, they would installed that at the factory in a controlled environment by highly trained personnel using the proper PPE :unsure:

So what would be your recommendation.
A. Still use the AEV covers (besides the strength of the nodular iron, I certainly like the fill/inspection port and easy drain), or go with perhaps a diff guard instead?
B. If using the AEV cover, perhaps upgrade the hardware on installation to something that could be safety wired, or torque-strip and routinely check the torque at xxxx miles?
Thanks,

UglyViking

AEV makes a fantastic looking product, but I'm starting to wonder about design decisions they are making. I installed the snorkel on my 2019 and I can't believe the design of the thing. From where it comes out of the fender, it looks great, but there are numerous serious design issues I've got with it, which I won't list on your page unless you would like me to.

I don't understand how AEV doesn't just apply the decal themselves if it's such a specific endeavor. Surely all that buy the cover will put the sticker on considering the design of the housing.

Also kind of odd to me that AEV calls for a 25ft-lb torque spec, when my understanding is that the OEM is 30ft-lbs. I realize that by raw numbers it's not a big difference, but it's almost 20% change in value from the OEM spec.

Did you use any loctite on the bolts? I presume no, but figured it's worth asking.

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner