2023 Ford Raptor- Continuation

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
This is why I love the F150 so much. The truck is levelled, which takes away the factory rake. In theory, with a lot of weight in the bed, it should squat pretty badly.

1200lbs in the bed, +2.5" level kit? still somehow level. Wow! No airbags, add a leafs, timbrens etc either, totally stock springs.

zESgwf7.jpg

ITTOG

This is why I love the F150 so much. The truck is levelled, which takes away the factory rake. In theory, with a lot of weight in the bed, it should squat pretty badly.

1200lbs in the bed, +2.5" level kit? still somehow level. Wow! No airbags, add a leafs, timbrens etc either, totally stock springs.

zESgwf7.jpg
Definitely not my experience. A 400 pound trailer toppings drops mine almost 2", and that is with the HD tow package.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Definitely not my experience. A 400 pound trailer toppings drops mine almost 2", and that is with the HD tow package.

Huh. Weird. This is a couple trucks ago with the same quad in the bed, AND towing a trailer with a good bit of tongue weight with how far forward the s x s is... Still level.

Z7H7QXb.jpg

Grassland

Depends on what springs were specced. The one red truck is squating with the quad in the back, though it's not bad.
My truck has the lightest springs and would sag with 600# in the back, hence having an add a leaf, and now requiring new leaf packs.
Remember to that a spring that is often loaded fatigues faster than one seldom loaded.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
I think that's a very valid point, Both my truck I posted have 2500 miles (red one) and 14000 miles (blue one) so while they've been worked hard, they're not time fatigued yet,

ITTOG

Depends on what springs were specced. The one red truck is squating with the quad in the back, though it's not bad.
My truck has the lightest springs and would sag with 600# in the back, hence having an add a leaf, and now requiring new leaf packs.
Remember to that a spring that is often loaded fatigues faster than one seldom loaded.
I assume with an adda leaf or heavier spring pack it is a rougher ride when unloaded?

I am thinking about the timbren progressive bump stops.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Well that was sketchy. Went to get my flatbed trailer, stored at bottom of a very steep hill. Couple inches of snow, no worries right? I got about 1/4 of the way down, and even the most minute brake application would trigger brutal abs engagement. Slid to the bottom, and about out the back door...

Get out of my truck and instantly take a header. On absolute pure polished glare ice under a light dusting of powder snow. Uh oh. I go hook the trailer up, and in 4wd with the diff locked, can't move the trailer on basically flat ground just the tiniest incline, just spinning all four tires. Huh. Trailer must be frozen into the ground, right? Nope. un hook trailer, and can barely move the truck on the most gradual incline. Well ********. How am I supposed to get the truck up the super steep, 1/2 mile entrance, let alone with a trailer?

At this point I abandoned the trailer and spent 15 mins trying to get up the hill, having zero luck. Now grumpier than ********, I dig out the tire chains. They're nasty buggers too, canadian spec V bar chains, similar to what equipment uses in the bush, just without the cross links. Chain up the rear (can't touch the front, these things would tear apart the entire front end of the truck) and now I can drive around like it's summer, just can't turn... Hook up to the trailer, and walk up the hill no problem. Would still be stuck down there, way out of cell service if I didn't have chains with me. Be prepared, folks.

IMG_6594.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I assume with an adda leaf or heavier spring pack it is a rougher ride when unloaded?

I am thinking about the timbren progressive bump stops.

Yeppers... The extra springs make the unloaded ride crappy. I had an adjustable set on my 1st gen Tundra and they worked out pretty well.

If you use the light duty air bags you can run them at 5psi and they won't mess up your unloaded ride.

Grassland

My truck is never without hundreds of pounds of stuff in the back, and I've had add a leaf since 2016 can't remember what it's like without them.

Ice with a bit of powder on top. My favorite :/ Good thing you had chains, doesn't matter what tire you have otherwise.
We play sponge hockey, which is basically broom ball shoes, a stick, and helmet. When you get a light dusting of snow, the rink is treacherous. Coefficient of friction is so low, you'll see guys fall who are just standing.

McCarthy

Is it riding season yet?
Reminds me, I'd better pick up a set of chains :D

The difference between garbage chains and good chain is only about $50-100 a set, but they're extremely difficult to find. Garbage chains will just break and destroy body panels, order them from a place called "canadian chains" they ship worldwide, and that's who most of the loggers around here use for equipment, which tells you they make good ********.

EDIT: These guys specifically. https://www.canadianchains.ca/Canadian-Spec-V-Bar--Light-Truck_p_14.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk