255/85's on Fullsize trucks. Pics please

willyswagon

Adventurer
This was full sized in 1956

ibc122.jpg

Truxus MT 255-85R16 The All Year Northern Tire!!

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
Nice truck. how do you like the KM2's? I like the Selectro hubs they're icing on the cake :drool:

I am still undecided on the KM2's. Thus far they have done well enough around the farm in the Virginia red clay, they do great on rainy wet pavement, and they have good grip while cornering on gravel roads. The real test for me will come this winter in the snow and ice. My BFG KM's always excelled in the snow and ice, so we shall see :)

One nice difference is that the old KM's were 8-ply rated, and the new KM2's are 10-ply rated :victory:

Aye, I love the Selectro's. BTW, with the BFG 255/85/16's I am getting 18-20mpg out of my 5.9 Cummins depending upon how much foot I put into my driving :)

gmookher

I had the 255/85 and felt there wasnt enough patch width whislt on high incline surfaces, too tippy for more aggressive trails

I've moved to 285/75 and am much happier with my d2 in all environs, esp rock crawls when one(or more) tires have no contact

SChandler

Adventurer
I was wondering if you guy's with 255/85's or similar (tall skinny) tires on fullsize rigs could do me a favor and post up some pics and give some opinions? I've searched around, but can only seem to come up with random pics here and there.

I'm about to order some 2.5" springs for the front of my 92 Dodge and I'm having a hard time deciding if 255's are going to be large enough :snorkel: Thanks a bunch!

Andrew

Here are a couple of mine (it's even a 92 :sombrero:):

TruckPics-2008-07-28006.jpg

92Dodge2008-06-23-resize.jpg

TillamookForest-2008-12-06049.jpg

The 255's rubbed just a little bit while steering and flexed (like when entering steep driveways, etc). I trimmed the bottom of the plastic trim around the wheelwells off with a hacksaw and it reduced the rubbing down to almost nothing. The general consensus from the diesel forum that I frequent most is that my front springs have sagged some, otherwise, they should fit without rubbing. The rims are 16x8's.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Wow I forgot to post my 255's in my own thread :eek:

So far I'm very impressed with the KM2's. They work very well on this heavy truck and they are very stable driving through the canyon. Cant wait to try them out in gooey mud :elkgrin:

alaskan1.jpg

Side view.

DSC01255.jpg

DWitcher

What a beauty! :drool:

That's no 292 or 283 :elkgrin:

We all need more details PLEASE! That's the best looking 66 I've come across.

That 66 is sitting on an 87 Chevy 1ton frame with a warmed over Cummins 5.9, 6spd, NP205, Dana60 front and 14bolt rear. Fun to drive:smiley_drive:

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Alaska2009165.jpg

I had Maxxis 285/75 Buckshot mudders on it previously and found those to be to soft of tire. - Brad

ScanImage014small.jpg

Those are 215/45R17...so a little off topic. :coffeedrink:

But thanks for posting your pics everybody, it is exactly the size I'm planning on buying when mine start telling me they've had enough. :D

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Great that I found this thread just as I was contemplating a new tire purchase and couldnt decide which size to get, I think I've now decided to start looking for the 255-85/16's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal