255/85's on Fullsize trucks. Pics please

BCHauler

Adventurer
I did read the thread, yes, and I do appreciate you replying. I did read your post and did read your fondness for the 255/85 tire. If I do decide to get some 255's I will certainly reference your post for different tread pattern experiences. However, my experience with the "Super Duty" is that it feels like a heftier truck than the pre-99 trucks (I owned a 94). Just wondering if anyone has experience with this size on that truck. Too top heavy?

I like your truck btw. I was looking for one of those when I stumbled on this one.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't know how much heavier the new trucks are. My old F350 is pretty heavy, with an everyday wet weight around 7,300-lb. But maybe the new Super Dutys are heavier. The cabs are taller so maybe adds to the hefty feel?

As much as I love the 255/85R16 size, the choices are very limited and my current favorite rig, a 2006 4Runner doesn't like to run some of them (Toyos), so I have been pushed in the direction of a bigger/wider tires. 285/75R16s are what I'm currently running in a ******** Cepek F-CII, a tread & tire I like VERY much.

I did read the thread, yes, and I do appreciate you replying. I did read your post and did read your fondness for the 255/85 tire. If I do decide to get some 255's I will certainly reference your post for different tread pattern experiences. However, my experience with the "Super Duty" is that it feels like a heftier truck than the pre-99 trucks (I owned a 94). Just wondering if anyone has experience with this size on that truck. Too top heavy?

I like your truck btw. I was looking for one of those when I stumbled on this one.

Willman

As much as I love the 255/85R16 size, the choices are very limited and my current favorite rig, a 2006 4Runner doesn't like to run some of them (Toyos), so I have been pushed in the direction of a bigger/wider tires. 285/75R16s are what I'm currently running in a ******** Cepek F-CII, a tread & tire I like VERY much.

What's your gas mileage difference from the 255's to the 285's? or is it 6's?

Interesting.....I thought you were a 255 for life guy!!!

:elkgrin:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The 2010 Overland Journal Gear issue feature on my 4Runner has the best/easiest tire width MPG info in a sidebar.

Yes, I think you can say that I'm a 255/85R16 enthusiast for life. But since the choices are so few and I would not be surprised if they dwindle to almost nothing before I kick-over, I will need to run other sizes. Like it or not wheels are taller these days.

One need look no further than the limited offerings in the 17-inch equivalent. As of this writing I believe there is only ONE 255/80R17 tire offered, the BFG KM2. I like the KM2, but it's not the only tire for me.

What's your gas mileage difference from the 255's to the 285's? or is it 6's?

Interesting.....I thought you were a 255 for life guy!!!

:elkgrin:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
255/80/17 BFG KM2 on my junk

Dodgepics003-3.jpg

Dodgepics002-3.jpg

Dodgepics012-4.jpg

Dodgepics013-3.jpg

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Diesel's on the rise again as everyone's painfully noticed. I'm hoping the tire manufacturer's recognize the demand for a tall skinny tire in an AT configuration. I'd love say a 265-80-17 E rated AT by any brand. I just mounted some 285-75-17 Toyo Mt's. Nice bulletproof tire,but I can sure feel the increased rolling friction over my old AT's.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
Diesel's on the rise again as everyone's painfully noticed. I'm hoping the tire manufacturer's recognize the demand for a tall skinny tire in an AT configuration. I'd love say a 265-80-17 E rated AT by any brand. I just mounted some 285-75-17 Toyo Mt's. Nice bulletproof tire,but I can sure feel the increased rolling friction over my old AT's.

I see what you are saying... BUT regardless of going from a factory size tire to a tall thin tire or a wide tall tire, you will notice the difference in mileage, if you do not regear for the size differences. difference between a tall wide and a tall thin of same overall height tire will be negligable. but differences between a stock height 245/75/16 which is 30.5 inches vs a 255/85/16 which is 33 inches could be around a 2 mpg difference (just using those sizes for examples.. your sizes may vary). just my .02 cents

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't think they are, only D load anyways.

So this is an older set of 255s on your Dodge?

Yes, most 255/85R16s are LR D, which I always found 'enough' for my use on my F350, 3,000-lb per tire.

However at least three new 255/85R16s are offered in LR E, Toyo M/T, Toyo M55, and BFG KM2.

HMalice

So this is an older set of 255s on your Dodge?

Yes, most 255/85R16s are LR D, which I always found 'enough' for my use on my F350, 3,000-lb per tire.

However at least three new 255/85R16s are offered in LR E, Toyo M/T, Toyo M55, and BFG KM2.

Yeah, I think from 2006/07 at Discount Tire. I like the tire and the height it gives but with 3:54 gears unless I'm driving long distance highway the mpg has been better with a shorter tire. D's have been plenty sans a couple times really loaded down with the camper loaded up. They rode a bit better than E's that I had on another set of wheels. Next round I'll probably try out a treadwright m/t.

Erik N

Adventurer
1988 Suburban 3/4 ton w/ 255/85/16 Chapparrel AP's. Zero clearance issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3513.JPG
    IMG_3513.JPG
    750.4 KB · Views: 166

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal