255/85's on Fullsize trucks. Pics please

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Where have you been? :sombrero:
Of course you have to consider the cool but uncommon 255/85R16 if your truck will fit 16s :victory:

Redline

Great that I found this thread just as I was contemplating a new tire purchase and couldnt decide which size to get, I think I've now decided to start looking for the 255-85/16's

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I have a stock 03 F-250 that came with 265/75/16's, but I'd like to go narrower and a tad bit taller.

Only tires I'm seeing are those Coopers. I love, love, love the Goodyear Silent Armor's, but I dont see any in the 255/85's :(

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That's the problem with the 255/85R16 size... great size, but a dying size with few tread choices. Hell, 16" tires are slowly going out of style as few new 'trucks' come with less 17" wheels.

There is lots of 255/85R16 info on this forum (probably more than anywhere else on the web), and there are enough good choices if you want a mud-terrain tire. If you don't want an MT there are few 255/85 options. But, if you want an inexpensive, stout, but relatively tame all-season/all-terrain tread I recommend the Maxxis Bravo 761.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7173&page=2

I had a set, great tire (3 ply sidewall) but not enough tread void for me. Sold them to a friend who is running them on his Dodge/Cummins. Another friend is running a pair on his Kimberly Kamper per my recommendation. Want a little more void? Toyo M55, also stout but not inexpensive.

You will find few people more passionate about the 255/85 size than I, but even I have started using 285/75 & 265/75 tires as you can get anything you want in these sizes. You may be better off staying with the stock 265/75R16 size. :smiley_drive:

HiJack Off (there are other places to discuss this, send me a PM if you want) :)

Back On -Topic

20070401-161319.jpg

I have a stock 03 F-250 that came with 265/75/16's, but I'd like to go narrower and a tad bit taller.

Only tires I'm seeing are those Coopers. I love, love, love the Goodyear Silent Armor's, but I dont see any in the 255/85's :(

jim65wagon

That's the problem with the 255/85R16 size... great size, but a dying size with few tread choices. Hell, 16" tires are slowly going out of style as few new 'trucks' come with less 17" wheels.
how true that is!

Redline said:
...and there are enough good choices if you want a mud-terrain tire. If you don't want an MT there are few 255/85 options.
That's my biggest gripe, I don't want an MT, but I want something with a little bit of bite when I'm off pavement. The Coopers do that well, but they are hard to come by out here. I don't know what I'll do if I can't find them after another 25,000 miles or so....

To keep the thread going in the somewhat correct direction here's the petite fullsize....

4660667609_081b78cb07.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, stock front springs of that vintage heavy-duty truck (Pre-1999). They are flat/negative arch, and actually ride pretty well with the added weight of the front bumper up there, though not as nice as the later models.

Wow, that Ford only has two leaf springs in front. Learn something new everyday.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
That is a fact. My 1993 Dodge/Cummins W350 was quite 'firm' :)

As does my 91... Ride in a similar year Dodge with a diesel engine and you'll know EXACTLY why Ford went the two leaf route :Wow1::Wow1::bike_rider:

Terrainist

Explorer
T'was just an observation. Hadn't seen that before. I own a 93 dodge diesel. And yes, if one hits a bump the wrong way or wrong speed it's kidney damage.

lstzephyr

wanderer
Huh I wonder if those ford springs would be a ride quality upgrade for the dodges. I need new springs, and there is a junkyard nearby.

After driving my truck over speed bumps and such using my bike as a commuter is awesome. Same stuff I hit at 5 in the truck I hit at 45+ on the bike.

I think these are 255/85s. I haven't checked since I bought them.

IMGP3253.jpg

MNcummins

9.00 x 16

A little off topic. I was looking for tall skinny's and came across STA Superlugs. They are 36" tall so just shy of 3" taller than the 255/85. They have been a pretty decent tire. They are a biased ply tire so if it sits in one spot a while it takes about a mile or so to round them out. The cummins is a little too heavy for them though as I am really only going to get 15-20k out of them. I am finding this truck to too heavy for most tires...

Attachments

• small 1653.jpg
    small 1653.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 393
  • small 1654.jpg
    small 1654.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 359

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
A little off topic. I was looking for tall skinny's and came across STA Superlugs. They are 36" tall so just shy of 3" taller than the 255/85. They have been a pretty decent tire. They are a biased ply tire so if it sits in one spot a while it takes about a mile or so to round them out. The cummins is a little too heavy for them though as I am really only going to get 15-20k out of them. I am finding this truck to too heavy for most tires...

Way off the off topic but, is that your house behind the truck? Very cool looking place. I love galvalum used as siding! Seems a wee bit "off topic" for the neighborhood though!

MNcummins

Yeah, thanks, a little different but there is a power plant a block away and a grain elevator at the end of the road so it is keeping with parts of the "hood". Now back to tires....

BCHauler

Adventurer
Here I am reviving an old thread but my new to me f250 super duty needs new shoes (as in the 235/85/16 Uniroyals are way to tame for my taste) and I'm trying to decide which way to go. Truck is currently stock height but at some point it may get 4" f350 rear blocks and a front leveling lift (around 2-2.5" front and back). Really tempted by the 255/85/16 size but wonder if that's too tall / skinny for such a big truck. Anyone have any thoughts or driving impressions of that setup? Pics of a super duty setup that way would be awesome. Thanks.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
It’s not a ‘Super Duty’ but it is ‘super duty’ ☺

I assume you read the thread?

How about post #48
or
Post #29

Good luck on your tire decision.

Here I am reviving an old thread but my new to me f250 super duty needs new shoes (as in the 235/85/16 Uniroyals are way to tame for my taste) and I'm trying to decide which way to go. Truck is currently stock height but at some point it may get 4" f350 rear blocks and a front leveling lift (around 2-2.5" front and back). Really tempted by the 255/85/16 size but wonder if that's too tall / skinny for such a big truck. Anyone have any thoughts or driving impressions of that setup? Pics of a super duty setup that way would be awesome. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal