2nd Gen Winch Bumper BUILD (Pic Heavy)

tweeek

Observer
I started building a winch bumper a little while ago. I didnt think about starting to take pictures until after the winch basket was built, but Ill try to document the rest if anyone is interested. The which shelf, front face and supporting gussets are all 1/4 and the "skin" is 10 guage (a country hair over 1/8)

I definitely dont have a fully stocked shop. Everything is painfully cut with cutoffwheels and angle grinder. I dont have a drill press either, so all the holes are cut with a hand drill and alot of patience. 1/4 is difficult to work with without the proper equipment lol but very doable in your home garage.

Started with a the rough idea mocked up in cardboard
yqyjateb.jpg

I had a machine shop bend the winch holder into shape since I most definitely dont have a 1/4 brake. I didnt take any more pics until I started cutting the fairlead holes. 2 1/4 holesaw vs 1/4 steel = much patience needed lol

2y7u4yve.jpg

hy4avy2u.jpg
a2ese3at.jpg
pegyhyqy.jpg

Measuring and cutting other holes in front face

u2e3ehag.jpg

vu7umebe.jpg
jumunaje.jpg

ANGRY MONKEY!!!
7uve2e6u.jpg

a2ygymy5.jpg

avumugyv.jpg
e9a2yqat.jpg

Starting on the skid
5y8enu8u.jpg

Welding the skid
e7y7evaj.jpg
2yrareve.jpg
hapymaty.jpg

Welding the top
u9u3yge2.jpg

This is as far as I have gotten now.... ill work on it some more tomorrow and update. Would love to hear your thoughts

tweeek

Observer
I was heading out on a trip that got delayed for a couple days. I wired my winch and relocated the solonoid under the hood. I have it mounted ontop of the fuse panel for now, until I have time to fabricate a braket. I can still open the fuse block if necessary.

5yqemy2u.jpg
3a3e9ysa.jpg

Then I got out some cardboard and started mocking up the wings for the bumper

3ejeny2e.jpg
qevabu9u.jpg

I took it apart and will cut out the other side and weld it tomorrow.

tweeek

Observer
All cut ready to go
tyvahyna.jpg

Tacked
aby2upes.jpg

Found this on my roof. Why do cats love cardboard so much?
y4amegu4.jpg

Welding
e5avy4a8.jpg

After a loooooot of grinding, getting a degreaser bath in the sun
avudynu7.jpg

atyvupy6.jpg

avatajaj.jpg

Some primer
atyhegy9.jpg

Some bed liner
ba7ubane.jpg
ygyvaqa4.jpg

Winch installation
usyqa6er.jpg
7y3ubane.jpg

All done, minus the sides. Ill get to that when we get back from our trip. We are going 4x4 camping in the Caribou/Chilcotin in Bc.

a7u4u7ym.jpg

ujamygy9.jpg

denure4a.jpg

Monkey Face, no longer evil! Lol. I think I'll call him George.
qesy3a8y.jpg
4u2equ2u.jpg

Yup after all that work my license plate is zap strapped on lol o literally ran out of time though, I worked until the minute. Ill mount it nicely in a couple weeks.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Job well done- great display of what can be done with very basic tools, skill, and a LOT of patience. Very nice looking welds, too. To that end- anyone who doesn't weld as well (myself included), shouldn't be discouraged. You could still do a project like this. Just tack everything together- a cheap wire welder would do that job. Then, with all the parts fit nicely, have someone burn the whole thing home.

soonenough

Explorer
Really impressive work with a pretty basic set of tools. I would've never guessed that was a home-made bumper....nice job :sombrero:

Last edited:

CYi5

Explorer
Saving money while taking pride in your work make home fabbing the best :)! Well executed!!

tweeek

Observer
Well finally got motivated to finish this project. I needed a bumper for our trip so I painted it without finishing the sides. Bumper worked great for the trip, so I slathered paint stripper all over it and got back to work.

tygu9yza.jpg
3a5ysupy.jpg
yde4u3u4.jpg
suguguge.jpg
yzudaduv.jpg

What's left of my 4x4 sheet of 10 gauge. More than I expected
epe7eqy5.jpg

SixLug

Explorer
Hell, even with a whole shop full of fancy tools, that would still be a nice bumper. Excellent design and craftsmanship. Looks awesome.

cmj

Awesome build. Looks really good!

Couple of questions - do you know what the whole thing weighs? 10 vs 11ga? Could you get away with 11 or is 10 the way to go?

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3