2nd Monongahela WV, 8/24 - 8/27/07

jim65wagon

cshontz said:
Mark, I forgot to mention your post is hilarious. You know the one. Are you sure you're not in my World of Warcraft guild? ;)

I don't know that he's a WoW geek, but if you ever want to learn with a real blade and real armour, he's quite a skilled teacher. I should know, as I suffered many painful bruises over the years, (pull yer leg back! OUCH!):littlefriend: . Thanks Haggis, skillful master of the blade.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
What Humor? We're serious. And Jim, try stealing the sheep this time, we don't need another of those embarrassing incidents with you, you crusty Welshman.

Superu

Explorer
Considering this trip.

We're supposed to be in VT earlier in the month getting the 2" lift and snorkel installed on the Superu, but may be able to make this trip. Will sign up if we get a firm date on the install work that'll fit with this schedule.

(We is me, the Mrs., and our 3 boys 7, 5 and 2 1/2!)

btw, will be camping on Grand Isle in Lake Champlain while the 4X4 center in So. Burlington works their magic on the subie! Should be fun!

P6102780.JPG

Superu

Explorer
Thanks! My wife'd never go after watching those 2!

Although she has watched Prepared to Survive and Getting Unstuck.

She now appreciates the value of the pull-pal land anchor and the hi-lift jack! :wings:

jim65wagon

Haggis said:
What Humor? We're serious. And Jim, try stealing the sheep this time, we don't need another of those embarrassing incidents with you, you crusty Welshman.

AAAGGH! I keep forgetting the order in these danged raidings! Steal the sheep. I promise I'll do better in the future!

cshontz said:
Two movies we recommend before the trip!

• Wrong Turn (as Jim mentioned)
  • The Descent
Both of which we've seen in the last week! I'm starting to think spelunking in West Virginia may not be such a good idea afterall. Crossing inbred cannibals with subterran murderous molocks is bad, bad, bad. Now I'm nervous yet oddly excited about the whole thing...

toyotechwv

Observer
jim65wagon said:
AAAGGH! I keep forgetting the order in these danged raidings! Steal the sheep. I promise I'll do better in the future!

[/LIST]Both of which we've seen in the last week! I'm starting to think spelunking in West Virginia may not be such a good idea afterall. Crossing inbred cannibals with subterran murderous molocks is bad, bad, bad. Now I'm nervous yet oddly excited about the whole thing...

All part of livin' in wild and wonderful West Virginia!!!:chowtime:

Incusus

Adventurer
Allright, just received tentative approval from the wife, but it all depends on if I can get the Trooper back together in time ;) I'll throw my hat into the ring for now...

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Incusus said:
Allright, just received tentative approval from the wife, but it all depends on if I can get the Trooper back together in time ;) I'll throw my hat into the ring for now...

Thanks for signing up, Jeremiah! It'll be great to meet ya!

Okay, you guys will love this. Since we have a nice group size, I made a sketch of the campsite (in true ExPo excellence) so you guys have an idea of what to expect. I apologize if it isn't to scale. I'll also try to include terrain contours in the next version of the sketch. ;)

The main trail is suitable for some parking. You might also be able to squeeze a few tents off to the side. It is a public thoroughfare, however, so it should not be blocked. The parking trail is suitable for vehicles, vehicle-based camping platforms, and ground tents. The island between the trails is prime ground tent real estate if you can find a spot between the trees. The area to the south of the parking trail is a downhill slope (leads to stream with waterfalls), not suitable for camping.

839099252_c4fbdb0e26_o.jpg

Also, wine tasting around the campfire at night is a proud tradition of the ExPo Monongahela camping trip. I'm going to bring a bottle or two, and I'm sure Jim is going to do the same. If there is a wine that you enjoy or would like to try, you're welcome to bring it. However, I would like to remind everyone that this is a family outing, so please drink responsibly and keep it at the campsite. :)

272800192_3788772af9.jpg

Finally, here is the current roster for good measure. I'm going to put this on every page of the thread so folks don't have to hunt for it. The trip is still over a month away, but I'm really getting excited. There's plenty of room, so you're welcome to sign up and join us!

monongahela.gif

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Chris
What's the 4x4 touring like? I was planning on bringing my full size stock pickup but I can trailor my POS jeep if there will be rough trails. Also, what's the firewood situation? I'll bring 1/2 a truckload unless you have a local source.

I'm not much of a wine connoisseur but if it's good enough for G'nR then it's good enough for me. My contribution...:) :)
nighttrain.jpg

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
BigAl said:
Chris
What's the 4x4 touring like? I was planning on bringing my full size stock pickup but I can trailor my POS jeep if there will be rough trails. Also, what's the firewood situation? I'll bring 1/2 a truckload unless you have a local source.

Good questions, Al. I don't suspect we'll be trail riding alot. However, the forest roads are more technical than what we're used to in Pennsylvania, with sidewall-deep stream crossings, and the occasional washout. I saw very little that that would've posed a problem for a truck, SUV, or AWD wagon. Most of the time, I don't think you'll need your Jeep.

That being said (and here's the disclaimer), I look forward to exploring. I have it in mind to explore the Canaan loop, which is just another long forest road that runs along a nearby mountain ridge. I have no idea what we might encounter along that trail, or any offshoots that we choose to explore. The terrain has already proven to be reasonably interesting in West Virginia, so ... you never know. ;)

272539286_601ee1c791.jpg

Firewood bundles are available for purchase at the grocery store in the nearby town of Davis, West Virginia. I forget how much they cost, but pickins were slim. I think by the end of the weekend last time we were there, the wood been was licked. By all means, please bring as much woods as you are able. :)

jim65wagon

BigAl said:
Chris

I'm not much of a wine connoisseur but if it's good enough for G'nR then it's good enough for me. My contribution...:) :)
nighttrain.jpg

Bring whatever makes you feel good. There shouldn't be any problems with a fullsize, and while mines not full-fullsized, Haggis is most likely bringing the Dodge, so you won't be lonely. I can't wait to explore the Loop too, it's gonna be fun and interesting. Firewood deadfall will probably be thin pickins, we'll probably bring a bit. Last year it was tough to stay warm on what we could purchase, good thing its August.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
jim65wagon said:
AAAGGH! I'm starting to think spelunking in West Virginia may not be such a good idea afterall. Crossing inbred cannibals with subterran murderous molocks is bad, bad, bad. Now I'm nervous yet oddly excited about the whole thing...

I'm pretty pysched myself, I just finnished reading "the Road" and "Miracle in the Andes", so we won't go hungry:p :p

Here is an excellent map of Bowden if anyone is interested
http://www.psc-cavers.org/gangsta-mappers/bowmap.htm
If you save it to MS Paint, then invert the colors, it's a little easier to read.

I'm planning on going in the main enterance then going upstream to the breakdown room/shower room.(~1/4 mile) All very easy caving, some scrambling with easy climbs. I took my daughter through this section when she was 7. Plan on wet feet to the knee, so bring an extra pair of old boots. Wear a headlight if you have one, you want your hands free for climbs and to fend off cannibals. A hard hat or climbing helmet is really nice. Plan on 55F and 100% humidity. Bring 2 xtra flashlighs, a water bottle and a snack. I'm thinking it will take 2 hours round trip. This cave has six miles of passage and seven entrances, so if anyone is feeling frisky, you can stay busy. :campfire:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
BigAl said:
I'm pretty pysched myself, I just finnished reading "the Road" and "Miracle in the Andes", so we won't go hungry:p :p

Ah, Al. You plannin on cookin up some Soylent Green? Please camp at the far end of the grove, you know, somewhere where we can keep an eye on you. I'll take the first watch. Just be oiling my gun and sharpening my knives, you know just in case.. don't pay any attention to me..just minding my own business.. Good God, Al's gone cannibal!!! Or maybe he's always been a cannibal and finds his "meals" on 4x4 forums....No, thats just crazy talk...Al seems like a such a nice guy...yeah, Al's a nice guy...:yikes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater