3rd gen 4runner experience...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So...my vehicle quest continues but it's taken an interesting turn, just recently.

I have a tentative buyer for the Taco. She's still trying to get her financing together and since I'm not in a hurry to sell, I don't mind. With luck the deal will be done next Tuesday (the 30th) and then my shopping starts in earnest.

I have looked at quite a few 4th gen 4runners and they're all very nice. VERY nice!

But recently I've started questioning some of my "assumptions" including:

- Assuming I should always buy a newer vehicle than the one I am currently driving

- Assuming I should always buy a vehicle with fewer miles than the one I am driving

- Assuming I should always buy a vehicle with at least some of the factory warranty left.

Just for fun I did a little "mental exercise" and thought "hmmm...what if I just chucked those 'assumptions' out the window? What if instead of starting off with the max amount of $$ I was willing to spend and then finding a vehicle to fit that, I went the other way instead and thought about what my minimum requirements were?"

And lo and behold, I began to think "what about an older 3rd gen 4runner? :sombrero:

I realized that there are plenty of 3rd gens from about 1998 - 2002 with less than 120k on them for under $10,000.

My "target" vehicle would be a 98-02 4runner, preferably a Limited (for the locking diff), automatic, with under 120,000 miles.

Then I started looking at the pluses and minuses and I came up with this:

Pluses: + Much less expensive than my previous 'target' (which was a 2006-2008 4th gen with ~40k miles for around $20,000.) By the time I factor in my $1000 down payment, I would be able to pay off such a vehicle in 3 years and still have lower payments than I do now with the Taco.

+ Smaller than the 4th gen - basically a shortened version of the Taco I've been driving for 2 1/2 years.

+ Known capability on the trails - again, because it's pretty much like my Taco.

+ Plentiful aftermarket

+ Better color selection (this is really a minor consideration but it's still there - I hate the bland colors that the 4th gen comes in. The 3rd gens had lots of bold colors, red, green, blue and even a crazy purple!)

+ Also I have to confess I think the 3rd gens are the best looking 4runners ever made. The 4th gens look nice if you take off the running boards and lift them a bit but otherwise they look a little too low to the ground for my taste.

Minuses? Not many but the only ones I could come up with were:

- More chance of an expensive breakdown or failure on older components

- Older vehicle, more likely to have been wheeled/abused by previous owners

- 3.4l engine requires timing belt at 90k, if it hasn't been done I have to factor this into the price (vs. the 4.0 that doesn't have a belt.)

- No full-time 4wd option (this is a nice-to-have feature of the V-6 4runners but to be honest I don't have it on the Taco and I don't seem to miss it.)

Considering that I don't drive that much (average 12,000-14,000 miles a year) I would expect to keep the 4runner for probably 4 years so if I can find one that has around 105,000 miles on it, I'd end up with maybe 160,000 by the time I was done with it.

For those with 4th gen 4runners, how have your "luxury" features held up? I'm talking about things like the remote keyless entry, power doors, power windows, etc. Have they failed you or become cranky out in the field? I always worry about stuff like that which is why I have normally gone for more "stripped down" vehicles when I've been shopping.

Does the automatic tranny have the pushbutton for 4wd engagement like the 05+ Tacos do? Any problems with that?

What do you in the group here think of my thought process? I've always thought it would be crazy to finance a vehicle with over 100,000 miles on it, but we're talking about a 4runner here - my Dad bought a 1988 that lasted him well over 240,000 miles and it was still running decently when he sold it 10 years later.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Just a couple of things from me:

Remember you can get a 3rd gen with the factory locker without being a Limited...mine is an SR5 that was fully optioned out including the locker, which is what I wanted because I hate the huge fender flares and leather seats.

I think you stand a good chance of getting one that hasn't been abused much. I don't know what its like in CO but here in Phoenix alone I can't tell you how many 3rd gens I see on a daily basis without so much as a scratch on them being driven by business men and women. I'd say at the the most the abuse probably stops with towing a boat or jet ski's or a trailer for the weekend here.

I think its a great combination of having that off-road capability but still able to be a daily driver. Sure I've had to fix a couple little things on mine, but it has performed solidly for me off road and around town, its been able to haul everything we've thrown at it so far, and there are some great aftermarket options.

I've only been in a 4th Gen 4Runner twice, once off-road and although it handled itself pretty well it was just too big for my taste. I've said it here before that riding in that thing was like riding in a 70's Cadillac....the hood went on forever! The downhill assist was a nice feature to have, and the newer ATRAC is definitely something I appreciate on our FJ. Overall though, I'd still have to go 3rd Gen....all the new Toyotas are just too big, too wide, too chunky for my taste. Cool looking vehicles, but huge.

I'm with you on wanting a newer vehicle with fewer miles, maybe a factory warranty....but Toyota is the only one I would ever consider buying a vehicle that had over 100k miles on it. Of course things are going to break, things are going to get worn out, but you don't have to worry about some major malfunction because they are built to last. Not to mention so far everything I've worked on with the 3rd gen, or had fixed has been easy to do yourself or cheap to pay someone to do. Except the rear shock mounts....whoever designed those should be drawn and quartered! :elkgrin: There are lots of similar things to your Tacoma, so you will already know what you are getting into.

Good luck!

OldSven

Explorer
I just got my 2000 4runner SR5 5spd for $6500. It is a high miler with 174k on it but it is also supercharged. The only thing I'm lacking is the rear locker at the moment. We also looked at a 4th gen with the V8 but thought why not ditch the car payment and put the extra cash from the Tacoma sale into the new rig. Once all of your maintenance is up to snuff that thing will drive forever:smiley_drive:

pcampbell

Adventurer
You are just about in the exact same spot I am...well sort of. I've just sold my 1st gen 4runner and have been considering what to do next. Checked out a few FZJ80s, and I'm still open to the "right" one but I am starting to lean heavily towards buying my wife something else, something with a 3rd row (only criteria she gave me), and taking over her '98 4runner limited. It's got 123,000mi but it's solid as a rock. Besides, the best Sonoran Steel lift is half of what an 80 lift would cost (well that's not completely true if you go the basic OME stuff but I'd likely opt for the Slee 4"), it's a more known commodity, cheaper to deal with across the board, and it's really a pretty nice truck.

About the only thing I've seen have issues on hers, aside from the necessary PM requirements like the timing belt, is the leather is typical Toyota junk. Otherwise, it's really hard to believe it's got the miles it does.

You can get the AWD option in 99-2001 models but they stopped the locker in 2001. 99 has about 1" taller springs from the factory than any other 4runner. Push button 4wd was offered in the limited and you could get the locker in the SR5 trim in some years but I think that phased out at some point [EDIT: I meant that it was only offered in limited models in some years. Also, 2001 models offered ATRAC instead of a locker].

History:

http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/History/history_4runner.htm

http://www.top4runners.com/runhist/index.html

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Another vote for the 3rd Gen. There are many examples of built up ones to model after. SOAZ's comes to mind. I see a ton of them on the street as well. My local CL usually has 5 or so to choose from at any one time for less than $8000. They are very nice double duty vehicles and most come fairly well optioned. It's actually hard for me to believe that my 97's MSRP was $32k.

Last edited:

Ric

Adventurer
Ive had a 3rd gen. a 1999 built pretty nice, with the E-locker, loved that thing, now Ive got the 04, I didnt think Id like the ATRAC, but after wheeling this for just a few months, and after wheeling the 99 every weekend for 5 years straight, I LOVE THE 2004... its a little wider, more power (i got the V8) and Im wheeling this with "minivan" tires, the newer ATRAC is sweet.
I thought when I first got the 04, that I would "need" a locker, NOT, it does have the center diff lock, with that and the ATRAC, they work very sweet together.
So, having had both, a (built) 3rd gen and a (stock) 4th gen, if I had to do over again, having both, wheeled both, drove both daily, Id go with the 4th gen...
JMHO

Vermejo

Adventurer
It’s hard to beat the 3rd Gen for the quality and price. I’ve replaced the timing belt and water pump at 100k (regular maintenance), power antenna went out (replaced mast), replaced radiator and added a transmission cooler as preventative/life-extending measures for a heavily used truck. Other than a slew of CV replacements and bending/breaking other underbody components, I’ve had no problems. This generation will go just about anywhere given your tolerance of body damage. The aftermarket is decent; if you want to go all the way, mild fabbing will come into play. With 35s and 4:88, the truck has plenty of pep. I have 130K, the engine still purrs like a kitten. I will be hard pressed to find a newer model equally capable come the day of replacement; luckily that day is far away.

It’s Capable

Ric

Adventurer
when I was looking for a new rig, I was looking for another 3rd gen. under $12K the only one I found for $12K had 220K on the clock, then I seen this 2004, with 50K, and only $16k, no brainer IMHO.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
- No full-time 4wd option (this is a nice-to-have feature of the V-6 4runners but to be honest I don't have it on the Taco and I don't seem to miss it.)

Maybe a typo? Full-time is on the 4th gen V-8 but is not desireable to me. On the V-6 you can select 4-HI on the fly when you want it. Maybe you were talking about models after 1999 but before 2003...

Also

Year to Year Changes

1997 Toyota 4Runner: A 2-wheel-drive version of the posh Limited became available for '97. A more sophisticated sequential fuel-injection system went into the 4-cylinder engine, as did a new ignition system.

1998 Toyota 4Runner: The only change for '98 involved a dealer-installed supercharger for the V6 engine. It increased horsepower by nearly 70 and torque by 50. It also carried the same warranty as regular V6 engines.

1999 Toyota 4Runner: Toyota added full-time 4WD on the Limited. Other models made do with part-time 4WD systems. Across-the-board changes included a mild facelift, standard auto-off headlamps, and a new center console. SR5 models gained an optional Sport Package that added fender flares, fog lamps, hood scoop, and color-keyed bumpers. Limiteds also received a tailgate-window down feature on the keyless remote, plus auto climate control.

2000 Toyota 4Runner: Changes were minor for 2000. Daytime running lights were fitted to 4Runners with ABS. A new CD/cassette stereo was optional for base models, standard for SR5 and Limited. Body-color fender flares became available for SR5s, and were included in an optional "Highlander" Sport option package.

2001 Toyota 4Runner: 4Runner lost its base 4-cylinder models and manual transmission for 2001, but all models now had full-time 4-wheel-drive and an antiskid/traction-control system. All models also got a revised grille and taillamps, and the Limited added standard heated front seats, Homelink remote door opener, and an optional in-dash CD changer.

2002 Toyota 4Runner: For '02, 4Runner got a new Chrome Package with bright exterior trim. Also new were standard instead of optional air conditioning, remote keyless entry, and alloy wheels for SR5s. 4Runner was redesigned for '03.

My 4th Gen has nearly 90K. I am not a fan of the pushbutton 4WD but it keeps working. The trick seems to be to actuate all of it once a month so that the various solenoids keep their lubricants distributed.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 4th gen transfer is 4WD only in V8 trucks, but on V6 trucks you can select 2WD high range, 4WD high full time (with the Torsen center diff), center locked 4WD high 50/50 (VSC-defeated) or 4WD center locked low 50/50 (VSC-defeated). The V8 trucks do not have the 2WD option, otherwise the options are the same. AFAIK the 1999-2003 Limited works the same was as the 2004-current V6, CDL, VSC, etc.

Whether or not it's desirable, I dunno. But it's sure nice to have a center diff option when driving on snowy highways going skiing. No 2WD/4WD shifter jockeying as the pavement goes from dry to wet to snowy. If there was one feature I would add to my pickup, it would be the center diff. I'd personally like it a lot, 'specially with a light load in the bed. But then again I've running M/T tires and the massive power of the 22R-E, I have trouble keeping it hooked up on hot tarmac... ;-)

BLKNBLU

Explorer
The only thing I would add is to not get married to the idea of an e locker. Here is my thinking:
It limits your selection.
Some folks know what they've got and want (too much of) a premium for them.
E locker and ARB both have a few critics and both have tons of fans. Point being, they are both well made, reliable products.
With an ARB (with the full size compressor), you will have an air source on board as well.

I'd try to find the cleanest, lowest mileage truck, that appears to have had good maintenance, at the right price that I could find and go with it. Certainly if you can find one with an e locker, that would be a bonus, maybe even worth an extra $0-$1000 if everything else about the truck was equal to comps in your area. But personally, I wouldn't accept a truck that was lesser in any other way or delay my purchase (i.e. delay starting to have fun!) just to get the e locker.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The only thing I would add is to not get married to the idea of an e locker. Here is my thinking:

Agreed 100%. Even open diffed they are quite capable. I think you'll have a much better chance finding one with less than 100k miles than one with an e-locker.

dms1

Explorer
I bought my 99 4 Runner in December of 2007 with about 135000 miles on it, I daily drive it 75 miles a day and have had no problems at all. I am just now planing on putting a mild lift on it and turn it into an expedition rig.

The only maintenance so far has been oil and air filter changes and I replaced the tires after a blowout last summer while on vacation with BFG AT 265\75R16, gas mileage stayed the same.

When I was looking at 4 runners, I didn't see any for sale at the time with E lockers here in socal, so I got one with an open diff.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Agreed 100%. Even open diffed they are quite capable. I think you'll have a much better chance finding one with less than 100k miles than one with an e-locker.

Some folks know what they've got and want (too much of) a premium for them.
E locker and ARB both have a few critics and both have tons of fans. Point being, they are both well made, reliable products.
With an ARB (with the full size compressor), you will have an air source on board as well.

I'd try to find the cleanest, lowest mileage truck, that appears to have had good maintenance, at the right price that I could find and go with it. Certainly if you can find one with an e locker, that would be a bonus, maybe even worth an extra $0-$1000 if everything else about the truck was equal to comps in your area. But personally, I wouldn't accept a truck that was lesser in any other way or delay my purchase (i.e. delay starting to have fun!) just to get the e locker.

I agree with these. I wheeled my 96 4runner for awhile with just open diffs without too much an issue. Later I swapped in an e-locker and used it on occasions again without any issues. I don't have any experience with the ARB setup but from what I've read and seen it's a good system.

My 1996 4runner had almost 200,000 miles on the clock when I sold it and I never had any major issues with it besides the normal maintenance items. Do alot some research and you should be able to able to find a lower mileage 4runner for a good price and look at the maintenace records as well if they are avaible.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Here is what you should be looking for:

99-00 Limited

It's got a multi-mode transmission, which means you can run 4WD on dry pavement. You can also lock the center diff. Also comes with the option of rear locker (not all came with this, though). IMO, this is the best that the 3rd Gen's had to offer. In 01, they lost the rear locker and added on the traction and VSC system, which in my experience, I did not like at all.

If I were looking for a 3rd Gen today, I'd get a 99-00 Limited for sure. If I were looking for a manual, I'd probably get a 99-00 Highlander (Sport Edition).

One big minus of the 3rd Gen's compared to the 4th is that the 4th definitely rides better. Much better. Might want to factor that in if that's of importance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven