3rd gen 4runner experience...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Originally posted by Cackalak Hen:
On the 99-00 Limiteds, there isn't a button on the dash to lock the center diff. It's got a J-shift lever with a push-button 4WD button on it. Push the button, and you're in AWD (H4). Then, if you push the lever down (to H4L), your center diff is locked. Of course, you've got the L4, too

Originally posted by XCMountain80:
So according to Toyota there was no need for it on the Tacoma as it had plenty of shaft and did not need such a feature. Was just another thing for me to mod and bypass so I could be in 4Hi with the center diff locked as it won't work in 4Hi just 4Lo until of course you install a momentary switch that turns the ABS and VSC off.

Ummmm....now I'm really confused. :confused:

Cackalack seems to be saying you can run the T-case in 4-hi open or 4-hi locked.

XCMountain80 seems to be saying you can only run it in 4-hi open or 4-low locked.

XC: Are you referring to the rear differential lock? Because I know on the Taco you can only engage that in 4 low unless you do the "gray wire" mod.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Martinjmpr - We are both correct. XC is talking about 01-02 4Runners and I'm talking about 99-00 Limiteds. The transfer case levers were quite different between those model years.

XC - I do remember getting stuck in mud about 1" deep on level ground (in my 02). It was embarrassing! :D Oh, also, I thought that you could lock the center diff in 4HI without any mods?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martinjmpr - We are both correct. XC is talking about 01-02 4Runners and I'm talking about 99-00 Limiteds. The transfer case levers were quite different between those model years.

XC - I do remember getting stuck in mud about 1" deep on level ground (in my 02). It was embarrassing! :D Oh, also, I thought that you could lock the center diff in 4HI without any mods?

Wait - so on the 01/02 models with VSC and ABS, you can't put it in 4hi with the center diff locked unless you put in a switch? Is that for all the 01/02 models or just the Limiteds?

If that applies to all the 01/02 models, how difficult is it to put in the switch that allows for 4hi with the locked center diff? Is there a FAQ or a "how to" guide explaining the process?

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Wait - so on the 01/02 models with VSC and ABS, you can't put it in 4hi with the center diff locked unless you put in a switch? Is that for all the 01/02 models or just the Limiteds?

If that applies to all the 01/02 models, how difficult is it to put in the switch that allows for 4hi with the locked center diff? Is there a FAQ or a "how to" guide explaining the process?

For 01-02 you can run in 2wd, "all wheel drive", 4wd (which is AWD with center diff locked) and then low transfer case AWD, and lastly low 4wd.

From 2wd to AWD you hit a button. Then from AWD to 4WD you hit a center diff lock button. Then to go to a low transfer case you actually manually shift the lever. Then if you have lockers you hit the rear locker and lastly if you need it the front locker. :coffeedrink:

Cackalak Han

Explorer

IIRC, the CDL can be activated in 4HI. I am searching over on yotatech, but I am 99% sure that you could. This applies to all 01-02 models.

Speaking of the VSC/TRAC system in 01-02 models, here is my take. I've owned a 98 4Runner, 02 4Runner and now my 01 Tacoma. The 02 Sport Edition was super nice. I absolutely loved the way it looked (hood scoop and all). One big gripe was the VSC/TRAC system. I live in a snow state, like you. My first winter, on my daily commute, I had to make a left turn onto a main street. There was a little bit of snow on the ground. It's a rather busy street, so you have to gun it when there is an opening. So, I see a clearing and gun it.....but all I hear is a few beeps and nothing happens. I am literally CRAWLING across the road with cars coming at me from both lanes. I see the cars starting to brake and I am just praying for something....anything to happen. Then, after what seemed like an hour, it finally started moving. Got out of there as briskly as possible.

So what happened was, the VSC/TRAC system detected that there was wheel slippage. So it cut the power to the wheels, which is why I was just left there in the middle of the road. After it decided that I had adequate traction, full power back on. Now, this does seem like a very useful system, but in this instance (and others like it), it's VERY DANGEROUS. Had I been in either the 98 4Runner or my Tacoma, I would've just skidded a little and been on my way. On the 03+, Toyota seemed to have corrected this problem, as my friend's 05 4Runner has not experienced this. Just something to consider.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Cackalak:

So does engaging 4wd with the center diff locked disable the VSC? On my wife's Grand Vitara you can press a button to disable the VSC but it only works if you are going less than ~6mph. If you go faster than that the VSC comes back on.

In the situation above that you described, were you in RWD, AWD or 4WD, or would that have made a difference?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
The VSC and ABS is disabled when the center diff is locked (TRAC is still active). It won't turn back on until you manually do it with the button (unlocking the center diff) or turning the car off and back on.

In the scenerio described above, I was in AWD. IIRC, the device that caused this was TRAC, so even if the center diff was locked, it wouldn't have mattered, since only the VSC and ABS is disabled. This is why Toyota went with a better TRAC system (called ATRAC) for the 03+ models.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The VSC and ABS is disabled when the center diff is locked (TRAC is still active). It won't turn back on until you manually do it with the button (unlocking the center diff) or turning the car off and back on.

In the scenerio described above, I was in AWD. IIRC, the device that caused this was TRAC, so even if the center diff was locked, it wouldn't have mattered, since only the VSC and ABS is disabled. This is why Toyota went with a better TRAC system (called ATRAC) for the 03+ models.

All these acronyms are confusing me. Isn't VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) just another name for TRAC or is TRAC something else? Is TRAC the limited slip center diff? If so, shouldn't it be locked out when in 4wd (i.e. locked center diff mode) or is there something I'm missing?

If TRAC is not the VSC, can it be disabled at all?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Well, on the Land Cruisers VSC and TRAC are different. VSC is to protect from Roll-over and TRAC is for wheel slippage. The Center Diff Lock (CDL) is for the center diff to go to 50/50 power when locked front and rear (you are not in all-wheel drive when locked). It is my understanding that you do not want the CDL locked on the street. But I'm not an expert. I would assume that is would be the same on the 4R. But we all know what assumptions make...:elkgrin:

Based on Cackalak Han's descriptions it sounds like they operate the same on 4R and Land Cruisers.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sorry, disregard my last, I've gone ahead and read some of the links provided earlier.

Interesting about the TRAC system. Is there any way of disabling it temporarily?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Yes, you can do the "Andy Mod". It's a switch that cuts the ground wire to the VSC/TRAC/ABS system, temporarily disabling it. However, in order to restore the system, you must turn off the ignition and turn it back on.

Andy Mod

IMO, although it's a great system, I would rather not have it. If you've done fine in your Tacoma without the VSC/TRAC, you will be just fine in the 4Runner without it. I'd opt for a 99-00 Limited with a rear locker.

ChuckB - You are correct on your assumption. With the CDL, it acts like a traditional 4WD. As far as the VSC/TRAC, yes, the VSC detects vehicle skid and TRAC monitors wheel slippage.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yes, you can do the "Andy Mod". It's a switch that cuts the ground wire to the VSC/TRAC/ABS system, temporarily disabling it. However, in order to restore the system, you must turn off the ignition and turn it back on.

Andy Mod

IMO, although it's a great system, I would rather not have it. If you've done fine in your Tacoma without the VSC/TRAC, you will be just fine in the 4Runner without it. I'd opt for a 99-00 Limited with a rear locker.

I see what you're saying. However, 99-00 Limiteds aren't that common and most of them exceed my (admittedly arbitrary) mileage limit of 120k. I'm also not crazy about leather seats.

There is one I may look at today that is a 99 Limited but there are a lot of 2001 - 2002 models that are otherwise very suitable for me so I'll check on them, too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Think I found one!

99 SR5, 117k, good overall condition.

Desert tan is the color which isn't my favorite but it's not white, so that's a plus.

Price at a "no haggle" dealership is $7999 which is better than anything I've seen, even better than a lot of private sales.

New tires.

Oh, and did I mention....

DIFF LOCK!

:jump:

What's also cool is that after going to dealers all over town and not finding anything this one is literally a mile from my house.

I will do the deed tomorrow and then post pics tomorrow night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven