3rd gen 4runner experience...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Okay, two quick questions for the group, now that I've found my 117k jewel:

First off (and I think I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway), if I don't have the maintenance records, is there any way of telling whether the timing belt was done at 90k? I looked at the carfax but I don't know if that would be anywhere (don't know why it would.) If the t-belt was done at a Toyota dealership, would it be entered into a computer database somewhere?

Second question, assuming the answer to the first one is "no, there's no way to tell", what is the approximate cost of a T-belt replacement service? If it's less than about $500, I would probably go ahead and have it done just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for any help!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Well, usually, if Toyota or other reputable shop did the t-belt, there would be a little sticker on the timing belt cover that indicates the date and mileage it was done. If not, chances are, it hasn't been done (carfax will not say whether this has been done). But I wouldn't worry too much about it, as I have 127k miles and the belt still looks great.

I just received a coupon in the mail from Toyota this week fro a $269 timing belt change. But that does not include any seals or water pump, which I'd recommend doing at the same time. The whole service should be around $6-700. I'm thinking of buying all OEM stuff and having another independent shop do it.

Also, Toyota is a stickler about releasing any information on vehicle service history if you're not the original owner. I went through this a few times. If you have a friend at the dealership, it might be different.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Latest update: Sales lady called. It's mine. She's doing the paperwork now. :victory:

She still has contact with the previous owner (apparently he's an employee of Enterprise.) She will call him to ask if the T-belt was replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven