3rd gen 4runner experience...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well thanks for all the input. Looking on the classifieds it seems that there are a lot of 3rd gen 4runners about, a surprising number of them with either right at or right under 100k on them.

The Taco should be sold tomorrow afternoon, then it's shopping time! With luck I'll have my new/old rig before the 4th of July holiday!

mochoajr

I've owned a 3rd gen for 50k miles and my current 4th gen for 106k miles. Both are great but given a choice, I would take the 4th. More power (I have the V6), rides much better on and off road and more car like inside; so more comfortable for highway driving. Only failure occurred under warranty, a cable that pulls the sunroof. Plus, this version of the V6 does not use a belt, it has a timing chain. The V8 in the 4th gen does have a belt that needs to be replaced.

Marco

Last edited:

maclean216

Observer
I agree with Cackalak Han. But I would like to add that you can run the 01-02s in 4wd on dry pavement and they offer locking center diffs.

Personally, If you don't want a manual transmission, I would just buy the nicest 4x4 4runner you find and not worry about the year.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I have a little one on the way and had considered a 4th Gen 4Runner for some time, I like the look and feel but hate car payments. My 02 is way paid off and way built up besides the fact I almost parted with it for around $9K (what the heck was I thinking?) anyhow I moved on to the fact of what I would have to do to make it mine if you will (the 4th gen) with no where near as much aftermarket support and quite a few reviews from folks that are trying to sway you either way I say do what feels right. The 3rd gen is Japanese made, The 4th Gen is US made as far as I Know (please feel free to correct) the new 4Runner feels more plasticky while my 02 is feeling old, there is more room in the new one which I like but I can get by with what I have, hell my parents had a Jeep and a Corvette when I was born I mean I could drive a prius and be doing fine. I like more power but I think that's the American in me and could get by on less (though secretly I dream of a SC). I do plan on a engine swap or lke for like swap on a less mileage Runner somewhere down the line but currently pushing along and not missing a beat at 216K.

Aaron

Darren

Adventurer
and even a crazy purple!

:violent-smiley-031: :mad: :REOutShootinghunter
boxing.gif
tongue.gif

Oh, that's it. And you're color blind! :sombrero:

A low blow, indeed!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
:violent-smiley-031: :mad: :REOutShootinghunter
boxing.gif
tongue.gif

Oh, that's it. And you're color blind! :sombrero:

A low blow, indeed!

Hey, I love your web page! Great trail reports. I discovered your page about 2 years ago when I first got the Tacoma and it has been a valuable source of information to me (along with Traildamage.com.)

It's funny that you posted here because last week when I made the decision to go with a 3rd gen 4runner rather than a 4th gen, I started thinking "I should build it up just like that guy on Mycolorado.org! :D "

I guess I'd forgotten that yours was purple too.

That's actually one of the things I like about the 3rd generations. I hate - hate - the colors available on the 4th gen. Silver (just a shiny version of gray - blech!), Gold (Pimp my 4runner?), Black (don't care for it) and white (BOR-ING! WAY too many of my vehicles have been white and I hate it.)

The 3rd gen's came in some cool colors. The dark forest green is my absolute favorite but there were also some medium blues, several different shades of red and that crazy purple! I love it, especially when the bumpers are painted to match. Very distinctive! Like a 4 wheeled grape! :elkgrin:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
But I would like to add that you can run the 01-02s in 4wd on dry pavement and they offer locking center diffs.

Wait - can someone explain this to me? Do all 2001-2002 4runners have the locking diff or was it just the Limiteds? Just automatics?

Also what is the significance of the hood scoop? Does it indicate any particular model or trim level?

pcampbell

Adventurer
They discontinued the rear locker for the 2001+ models.

The 1999+ had a torsen center differential. Basically, the transfercase has a differential in it. This allows an AWD setting. A button on the dash locks the center differential creating a "normal" 4WD situation. The neat thing is you have 2WD, AWD (works on any surface), 4WD-Hi (only on low traction surfaces causes it binds like a "normal" 4WD), and 4WD-Lo.

99-2000 had the above and also offered a rear locker option. The best of all worlds.

2001 removed the rear locker option and added ATRAC to replace it.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
They discontinued the rear locker for the 2001+ models.

The 1999+ had a torsen center differential. Basically, the transfercase has a differential in it. This allows an AWD setting. A button on the dash locks the center differential creating a "normal" 4WD situation. The neat thing is you have 2WD, AWD (works on any surface), 4WD-Hi (only on low traction surfaces causes it binds like a "normal" 4WD), and 4WD-Lo.

99-2000 had the above and also offered a rear locker option. The best of all worlds.

Just have to correct one itty-bitty detail. On the 99-00 Limiteds, there isn't a button on the dash to lock the center diff. It's got a J-shift lever with a push-button 4WD button on it. Push the button, and you're in AWD (H4). Then, if you push the lever down (to H4L), your center diff is locked. Of course, you've got the L4, too. Some come with the option of that RR DIFF LOCK switch on the dash, that we've all come to love. And this is on the Limited models ONLY.

Just to point out the obvious, the center diff lock is NOT the same as a rear locker. Nothing too special, as both differentials are still open. Also, not sure if this was mentioned, but 5-speeds were discontinued from the 01 models on.

As for the best color of the 3rd Gen's --> Desert Dune.

EDIT: Hood scoop came on 99-00 Highlander package (basically Sport Edition) and 01-02 Sport Editions. They're just cosmetic and add nothing for performance. They look cool, though.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Good comments from everyone, thanks.

I'm surprised (and impressed) at the technical sophistication of the 4runner. But on the flip side it makes my Taco feel kind of cheap in comparison. I'm not sure how they compared on sale prices at the time but nowadays they are fairly close in price but it seems like you get so much more with the 4runner.

Why was the AWD/Torsen center diff never offered on the Tacoma? I would think a pickup with AWD would be a pretty good thing to have, especially in the colder climates where ice and snow are common.

Just a couple of hours and the Taco will be sold and I've already located a number of 3rd gen 4runners in my price range...

Bighead

Adventurer
Have you been limiting your search to the Denver area? I have seen quite a few 3rd Gens for sale here in the Springs.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Good comments from everyone, thanks.
Why was the AWD/Torsen center diff never offered on the Tacoma? I would think a pickup with AWD would be a pretty good thing to have, especially in the colder climates where ice and snow are common.

From what I know the explanation lies in the drive shaft length. Supposidly there is less bind over a longer shaft (Tacoma) and more on shorter shaft (4Runner). When the 4wd is engaged on the 4Runner it is in a open type mode that will transfer where ever and not bind the drive shafts up a whole lot if on pavement. When engaged the center diff lock is just like any normal t-case splitting the power 50/50 front and rear. So according to Toyota there was no need for it on the Tacoma as it had plenty of shaft and did not need such a feature. Was just another thing for me to mod and bypass so I could be in 4Hi with the center diff locked as it won't work in 4Hi just 4Lo until of course you install a momentary switch that turns the ABS and VSC off. VSC is a great soccer mom feature that will keep you from fish tailing but will also get you stuck in wet grass (true story).

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven