$40 BaoFeng UV-5R Dual-Band Handhelds

jCubed

Adventurer
I've got a handful of them already. All my units came with base chargers and I swapped all the antennas for Nagoya's and picked up extended batteries initially. I literally have zero additional needs beyond the 5 cent button that popped right out.

That sucks! Superglue?

Kiddmen57

Supporting Sponsor
Are you just going to run the rubber duck for an antenna?

If you look close you can see the skinny cable coming off the top. I have a magnet mount antenna at the corner of my fender that hooks up to these. Works really well, much better than the rubber duck (when inside).

This is my solution til I can save my pennies for a mobile unit. Looking at the Yaesu FT-8800

jerdog53

Explorer
So I did pull the trigger in one if these should be hear end if the week.

Sending elections from my electron sending device....

Nick in Ca

As a capt for a fire dept in Ca, a bunch of us bought this radio for work, even tho its totally illegal, we DO NOT use them on incidents. We use them, for instance, while shopping or doing errands or around the station when away from the base radio, as they are WAY lighter and easier to carry than our Bendix King radios. But as cool as they are they obviously have limitations, not that any of you guys are gonna be using them for emergency incidents. They are capable of using repeaters and have great range when using them, but other wise range is pretty limited. We use them basically as scanners. But yeah pretty neat little things to have. I recently programmed mine with our "Logistics" base camp freq to use in camp, again, so i don't need to lug a BK radio around all day. Thats cool cuz the Logs freq is VHF and normal freqs are UHF, so this takes both.

In a pinch, if you had the freqs of the local fire or law enforcement depts in the area you are off road, and were in an emergency situation with no cell service, it could be a life saver

tymbom

There is a few law enforcement officers here where I work that have these just so we can talk to our allied agencies... I listen to fm classic rock on mine all day :)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Mowgli

Supporting Sponsor
Just ordered the uv-r5 plus for $40 and cable for $10. Now I have to figure out how to use it. Will be here Monday.

Nick in Ca

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Certification.php
Operated narrowband they would be compliant. Am I wrong?

Yes they are NB capable, but since its not officially issued by the dept, its not allowed. That and with all the investigations out there that cite communication as parts of the reasons that tragedies happened, we are only allowed to use approved radios. These, with the range of freqs that can be programmed, are prone to having channels not approved for our use in them. Then when something happens, the investigators suspect personal are using channels that not every one has, aka "Secret Squirrel" channels, important information is not transferred to everyone cuz of being on unapproved channels, or the radio wasn't powerful enough to transmit to the appropriate personnel or area. Its just a huge can of worms. Now the Dept knows we have them and use them during non incident time, and they are ok with that. Its just known if one ever shows up on an incident or is used, there will be trouble, and then they will probably be totally banned while on duty.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Yes they are NB capable, but since its not officially issued by the dept, its not allowed.
That makes sense. Meeting the FCC part 90 certification it is legal for use in public safety frequencies. Thanks for clearing that up.
I have only three different HT radios in service for our departments. Durability is high on the list for why they are in service. I am not opposed to others and their use off duty would never be discouraged. Tough to field test and prove them for duty service though. Most of the testing done is meeting military specifications and meeting those testing requirements. That is expensive and most inexpensive radios do not bother with that to keep costs down. I have several wouxun radios that have been put through the wringer with good results. Better for EMS than fire though. The firefighters can mess up and anvil if it has more than two buttons.

here is ware he hides during our off road rides under the rci 2970 ( and the miller beer's) and the tyt th 9000 under my seat, 6 months with no problems, I used daily for work I go true 1 fully charge battery for 2 day, now the guy's hare see the handy use to have one of this radios in the truck that last week I program 15 uv-5r+ and we a are spec ting some more radios :wings:

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Just ordered the uv-r5 plus for $40 and cable for $10. Now I have to figure out how to use it. Will be here Monday.

Miklor.com. Be sure to use their drivers for the cable. Then get chirp to program it. Of course no broadcasting without a license, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk