600 miles in S. Utah

GunnIt

Adventurer
This trip began to celebrate a "big" birthday (think obsolete speed limit) with my family. We live at the base of the Vermillion Cliffs and roads in this area rarely head in any direction that is straight to where you want to go. I have flown my plane over most of this region and discovered just how close everything in this area is via air...for example it takes 5 hours via pavement to drive to Escalante, Ut., however it takes about 20 minutes in my Cessna 206 to fly there direct. So I decided to slow down, smell the sage brush, and go for a long drive with a goal of trying to cover a lot of county and see the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument while trying to stay on dirt roads or trails and off the pavement as much as we could.

The trip that I'm about to describe took 5 days, covered more than 600 miles and over 31,000-ft in elevation change. We began by driving Hwy 89A to 89 through Page, AZ to Big Water, Ut. As we were driving to Page, on top of the Shonto Plateau, looking to the north past the Vermillion Cliffs we could see our distant goal, the Aquarius Plateau which is roughly 75 miles away as the raven flies. When we arrived at Big Water we went to the GSENM Visitor Center. When I told the ranger that we were planning to travel the Smokey Mountain road from Big Water to Escalante he immediately suggested that there was a much better and quicker route via pavement. I told him that we had the proper vehicle and equipment for the trip. He started showing me the map of the road when I mentioned that we were towing a trailer, a 30-ft 5th wheel as a matter of fact, that shouldn't be a problem, should it...I got a very long pause and a roll of the eyes before I told him I was just kidding and wanted to see his reaction and trust me, I got a good one. I then told him we were towing a trailer, an AT trailer that was built to go on these kind of roads. All in all he was very helpful and informative about the conditions of the road and things to see on the way. We got a camping permit for the monument, there is no charge for this permit but one is required.

It was 1:30 in the afternoon and we headed out. Smokey Mountain Road is 78 miles long from Big Water Utah to Escalante, UT., and it transverses the Kaipariowits Plateau which is the highlands that form the backdrop of the northern horizon behind Lake Powell. The portion of road that leaves Big water travels through the Tropic geologic formation which is the remnant of an ancient inland sea. This area is rich in both marine and dinosaur fossils. As I aired down the tires on my rig my wife, Wendy and son Troy found several different types of fossilized marine mollusks.

As you can see by this photo, the beginning of the road is stark landscape and one that I would not begin to consider traveling if rain was in the forecast. The Kaipariowits Plateau is straight ahead off in the distance. Yes Dave, on the back of my rig is my brand new generation 2 Trasharoo which I think is the best invention since gore-tex waders.

930692070_iDFJY-L-1.jpg

As we approached the section of road that climbs the Kaipariowits Plateau known as the Kelly Grade, it was impossible to discern the route that the road would follow as it abruptly begins the 1000-ft climb to the top.

930693449_a8yq9-L-1.jpg

The road was in decent shape as it twisted its way through the Straight Cliffs, Wahweep, and the Kaipariowits geologic formations. One striking observation was that the road coursed through several coal seams. I remembered that one of the major controversies about this region becoming a National Monument was that there was allegedly enough coal in this area to power all the needs of the US for a couple hundred years.

As we approached the top of the grade we could see the country and the road that we had just traveled.

930694299_tt3r2-L-1.jpg

This is the view of the road just before we reached the top.

930695172_tMFUE-L-1.jpg

Once we arrived on top we located a great camp spot which was right on the plateau rim with a spectacular view of Lake Powell and all the red rock country that surrounds it. I have heard this viewpoint referred to as Powell Point, not to be confused with Powell's Point which is a vista on the Aquarius Plateau.

930699365_FBinr-L-1.jpg

Lake Powell and Page AZ

930698448_XieTs-L-1.jpg

We had planned to get to this spot for reasons other than the spectacular views...it was July 4th and fireworks are shot off over the lake.

930699972_timz4-L-1.jpg

The next morning we planned to transverse the Kaipariowits Plateau and arrive in Escalante before nightfall. Looking out from our camp I noticed that the morning light allowed a good view of a portion of the Kelly Grade Road. Look in the middle of the following photo.
930700424_Ezupc-L-1.jpg

On our way across the plateau we turned on a side road to try find a spot that I had seen from the air several years back where a coal seam is smoldering and billowing smoke, hence the name Smokey Mountain. We turned on rd #343 and followed it to a dead end with a great view but no smoking coal seam. On our way back I got out to look at a very large crack that crossed the road. the crack was in solid rock, was hundreds of feet long, one to two feet wide and appeared to continue to the center of the earth; it was very puzzling as to what geologic force had created it. A short while later I noticed a strange smell and stopped the jeep and looked at the gauges...all was good when I realized that I was smelling the burning coal somewhere up wind. A road turned off and we followed it and drove right up to the burning coal.

Don't make the same mistake that I did just to try and get a good photo. Park your vehicle well away from the billowing smoke; the smell stayed in our vehicle for the rest of the day!

930703586_LbdKJ-L-1.jpg

Apparently this seam of coal was ignited by lightning and has been burning for thousands of years...that explained the puzzling crack that I had recently encountered...it was a burnt out coal seam.

930704206_k4Hga-L-1.jpg

We arrived in Escalante late in the afternoon. I would guess that the drive took about 7 hours. The road is rough but most any high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle will work. We encountered only one other vehicle on the road and it was another jeep. Don't even consider this road if there is a chance of rain...you could get stuck for days. This is a drive that we will do again.

GunnIt

Adventurer
We arrived in Escalante and went directly to Escalante Outfitters, a local business owned by Nate who used to guide for us here at Lees Ferry. There we hooked up with our friends Mario and his wife Annie (Adventure Trailers) who had been ambling through Southern Utah for the previous 10 days. We decided to head out to the Hole in the Rock road and find a camping spot. We were told about some fossilized dino tracks out on Left Hand Collet Canyon road, that sounded good so we headed out and set up this camp.

930704834_zpPB9-L-1.jpg

Looked around for the dino tracks but decided that we were in the wrong spot.

930705124_edvAN-L-1.jpg

The next morning we headed out Hole in the Rock Road to see the sights and get some history. A great book on the subject is Hole-In-The-Rock-Trail by Stewart Aitchison. We were told that the road was in good shape, suitable for passenger cars and would take about an hour and a half to drive out...none of it was true. Mario mentioned that the road just off the highway reminded him of a landing strip in Africa...wide, smooth and straight. Then we entered Kane country and things changed. You need to realize that the county seat of Kane County is Kanab and it would likely take a truck carrying a grader 6 or more hours to drive to this isolated section of dirt road; It has certainly been a long time since this section of road has seen a blade.

Dance Hall Rock, a famous landmark next to the road.

930708894_NVvyc-L-1.jpg

This is a long but scenic road that deserves more exploration, however, it is best driven in summer and explored another, cooler time of year which we will do in the fall. Scenery is everywhere:

930708106_MnQyS-L-1.jpg

We get out close to the end of the road and decided to break for lunch. We set up the awnings and huddled in the shade. Since we were on slick-rock and not a breeze is stirring, I do not stake the legs of my awning. A sudden gust of wind changed the structure of my awning in about 2 seconds. This is the photo right before the gust.

930706870_eyHhk-L-1.jpg

Like I said; a very long and rough road...it must be really serious because Mario has out the duct tape!

930707088_QA3wS-L-1.jpg

We ran out of time and decide to head back to Escalante since it will take at least 3 hours to drive back. I would not do this road in anything other than a good 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle or preferably a stolen Cadillac.

930708353_RtSYz-L-1.jpg

In Escalante we parted company with Mario and Annie who were starting to head back south towards Prescott.

We decided that we needed to cool off from our desert drive so we headed to cooler climes..we left Escalante and a few miles from town hit the well maintained dirt road that goes through Sweetwater Canyon, traveled along the creek and when the altimeter said 7,000 ft we began to look for a camp spot. Found this one right off the road, next to the creek.

930709313_AJWKS-L-1.jpg

The next morning we continued on the road through the pass of the Escalante Mountains on towards John's Valley. This is where we see the Clarion formation that makes Bryce canyon so famous.

930709691_8MHNC-L-1.jpg

The scenery on the other side of the pass does not disappoint

930709936_EnFvD-L-1.jpg

We hit Hwy 22 and drive up to the small town of Antimony

930710338_ART7T-L-1.jpg

Our destination was Antimony Creek a short drive down a dirt road outside of town. I had been here several years ago filming an episode of our TV show, Fly Fish TV. It had not changed since I was last there except for the new quad trails that went everywhere that they did not need to go. We found a beautiful camp spot next to the creek with something new to us...grass underfoot instead of sand, rock or cinder. We saw one other vehicle come past us the 2 days we were here.

930711733_pw7oz-L-1.jpg

Antimony has some surprisingly large fish for such a small stream. The East Fork of the Sevier is very close and has some really great fishing. This photo is Antimony Creek.

930686466_UUSmo-L-1.jpg

GunnIt

Adventurer
It was time to head back towards Lees Ferry so we drove towards Cannonville. Went through Bryce Canyon on the way,

930688037_wzwnn-L-1.jpg

Arrived in Cannonville with a big thunderhead towering to the south. We had planned to head home along the Cottonwood Canyon Road but this route and most all the back-ways in this area can become impassible for days if it rains. We went to the GSCE Visitor Center and the ranger looked the weather radar and suggested we take another route, she told us that she was once stuck on this road for 3 days due to a big storm. We took her advice and headed out towards Cottonwood Canyon and turned on the Skutumpah Road #500. this road travels between Cannonville and Kanab, 34 miles of dirt and 16 miles of pavement through Johnson Canyon, outside of Kanab. The section of road near Cannonville is semi rough, just enough to get me to air down my rig. Just as I'm finishing here comes 4 cars from the opposite direction, they appear to be rental cars piloted by Europeans...go figure. The road skirts the backside of Bryce Canyon and has great scenery and needs more exploration. This are area like Hole in the Rock is best explored in the spring or fall. Here is a shot of the back side of Bryce from Skutumpah Road.

930690045_QpESE-L-1.jpg

Arrived in Fredonia and just had to stop here as always.

930690355_YwTWi-L-1.jpg

Decided to stretch out the dirt roads as long as I could and took Ryan Rd just outside Fredonia to FR 462 to 461 which comes out at Jacob Lake...got a milk shake at the lodge.

930690658_3UbGv-L-1.jpg

There was a fire ban in the Kiabab Forest so we got on 89A and headed

Home
83404877_t66vC-L.jpg

njjeepthing

Explorer
Awesome trip report and photo's, very jealous out here on the East Coast!

Any chance you have a link to more info on the Comanche that joined you?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Smoky Mountain Road is epic... one of my favorites in SE Utah. The Kelly Grade is a mindblower - good stuff!

Great report, fantastic images!

:beer:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have passed by Lees Ferry and the Cliffs lots of times and will again at the end of this week.
Nice to know there is a fellow Expo member there.

Great report, amazing pics and thanks for taking us along for the ride.

WF-Wagrub

Looks like I'll have to add this one to my fall wish list. Great photo's and report!

Mind if I ask what resources (maps etc.) you used to put the trip together? I've put together some similar trips in Central Nevada / Southern Utah using the Delorme Gazetteer, but you have to take those with a grain of salt, it's always different on the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven