67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Isn't weight the big issue with old iron like that? The old sheet metal was stout. Nowadays they use much thinner metal.

Ford with a Chevy engine? Wouldn't you be worried that the Ford body would try to "reject" that motor? :D

Older trucks aren't heavier than newer.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
— George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788

Higbean

Observer
Hey, how'd I miss this?

Personally, I'm really happy with the Cummins swap. I looked at a bunch of stuff before I tore out the 460 and the 12v was definitely for me. I was at 9.6 freeway and 6.2 around town with the 460. Yeah, all the Cummins guys on the internet will tell you 20+mpg so keep that in mind. I've gotten 19.5 mpg once since my transmission overhaul but I have yet to get any where near that since. Trip to Mexico in 4 weeks so I'll let y'all know.

Is it loud? Sort of, well yeah. Once you start turning the fuel screw it gets louder. Put a quart of 2 stroke oil in it and it'll quiet back down a bunch. I originally used a Diamond Eye exhaust and it had a drone that was obnoxious. Recently got rid of the Diamond Eye muffler and put in a Donaldson 51" muffler and it's almost too quiet. All you can hear is the engine itself.

I've got almost as much money into the Dana 60 swap as I have into the Cummins swap. If I wasn't "wheeling" my rig too hard, I'd keep the 44hd. It is nice not having to worry about the 60 though and running into/over a deer at 60 mph plus a few weeks ago made the 60 swap worth it.

Essentially, you are stuck with the problem of big block vs. diesel. I chose diesel because I found a 12v for $1,400 with a trans attached. I did like the 460 but I had no range with it and that was important because I really wanted to use this rig for travel. I bet you'd be dollars ahead keeping the big block Ford and paying for $4 gas. But, it'd be a lot more fun if you did a swap to your liking.

Personally, if I was you, I'd be looking for a common rail and a ZF-6. If a common rail is too much dough, a ve pump out of a 91.5-93 Dodge is tough to beat.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Just my 57 cents:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Fwiw, one of the many videos I saw on the Icon Dodge indicated it was a custom one-off for a client (with a very large ranch!).

Last edited:

Higbean

Observer
Just my 57 cents:

View attachment 226895

View attachment 226897

Fwiw, one of the many videos I saw on the Icon Dodge indicated it was a custom one-off for a client (with a very large ranch!).

No way!

How about....
8ed7e602.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Hey, how'd I miss this?

Personally, I'm really happy with the Cummins swap. I looked at a bunch of stuff before I tore out the 460 and the 12v was definitely for me. I was at 9.6 freeway and 6.2 around town with the 460. Yeah, all the Cummins guys on the internet will tell you 20+mpg so keep that in mind. I've gotten 19.5 mpg once since my transmission overhaul but I have yet to get any where near that since. Trip to Mexico in 4 weeks so I'll let y'all know.

Is it loud? Sort of, well yeah. Once you start turning the fuel screw it gets louder. Put a quart of 2 stroke oil in it and it'll quiet back down a bunch. I originally used a Diamond Eye exhaust and it had a drone that was obnoxious. Recently got rid of the Diamond Eye muffler and put in a Donaldson 51" muffler and it's almost too quiet. All you can hear is the engine itself.

I've got almost as much money into the Dana 60 swap as I have into the Cummins swap. If I wasn't "wheeling" my rig too hard, I'd keep the 44hd. It is nice not having to worry about the 60 though and running into/over a deer at 60 mph plus a few weeks ago made the 60 swap worth it.

Essentially, you are stuck with the problem of big block vs. diesel. I chose diesel because I found a 12v for $1,400 with a trans attached. I did like the 460 but I had no range with it and that was important because I really wanted to use this rig for travel. I bet you'd be dollars ahead keeping the big block Ford and paying for $4 gas. But, it'd be a lot more fun if you did a swap to your liking.

Personally, if I was you, I'd be looking for a common rail and a ZF-6. If a common rail is too much dough, a ve pump out of a 91.5-93 Dodge is tough to beat.

Thanks Higbean

There a couple things I do not like about the diesel...however it makes the most practical sense.

Last edited:

Higbean

Observer
You bet man. I get it that you don't like a few things about the diesels. The positives far out weight the negatives. It's the reason why you see so many Cummins swaps in these old Fords. Try it. You'll like it.

eggman918

Adventurer
The cummins swap was the best thing I have done to my '68 in the 23 years I've owned it double the mileage and more power than the 390 4v it replaced,I went with the 4bt so it's rougher at low rpm's that the 6 would be but at highway speeds it is fairly smooth and quieter that the Cooper STT's now that they have some wear on them.

Clutch

<---Pass
The cummins swap was the best thing I have done to my '68 in the 23 years I've owned it double the mileage and more power than the 390 4v it replaced,I went with the 4bt so it's rougher at low rpm's that the 6 would be but at highway speeds it is fairly smooth and quieter that the Cooper STT's now that they have some wear on them.

I think loads of Dynamat is the cure for the noise issue.

After much thought, Cummins swap is the best option.

Reading on the Cummins forum, some guys are getting the mileage I want, even on 37's.

I ran Cooper STT's on my Tacoma, they got louder and rougher as they wore, even rotating every 5000 miles, back to BFG AT's...amazing how much smoother and quieter they are....they surely don't perform as well though.

eggman918

Adventurer
I am thing about having my valve covers,oil pan and lifter cover shot with a heavy coating of bed liner I "think" that might be a fix for a good deal of the noise.It's just a theory but starting at the source couldn't hurt.

eggman918

Adventurer
Yes I have what is basically the same stuff that water-heater blankets are made of It helped,but I have louvers in the hood to help with cooling during low speed high load trails Bakersfield sees a lot of triple digit days so it can only be somewhat effective I used dynamat on the firewall and floor of the cab also.
My truck was noisy before the 4BT and with no AC I spend most of the year with the windows down.A friend is hooking me up with a complete new Dodge AC system and as soon as I find a nice under dash unit that fits the '68 it will be a much more civilized ride.
This video is with the windows down if it helps

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes I have what is basically the same stuff that water-heater blankets are made of It helped,but I have louvers in the hood to help with cooling during low speed high load trails Bakersfield sees a lot of triple digit days so it can only be somewhat effective I used dynamat on the firewall and floor of the cab also.
My truck was noisy before the 4BT and with no AC I spend most of the year with the windows down.A friend is hooking me up with a complete new Dodge AC system and as soon as I find a nice under dash unit that fits the '68 it will be a much more civilized ride.
This video is with the windows down if it helps

That isn't too horrible.

Milo902

Adventurer
Researching options....

View attachment 220824

Looking closely this appears to have a TTB front end. I think that would be an awesome setup. Take a 4x4 TTB chassis from a 90's F150, add motor of choice, finish off with desired classic body.

I will be the dissenting voice here when it comes to diesels, I vote V8 and some go-fast desert goodies for that TTB. Diesels rock, but nothing beats full opposite lock with a gasser soundtrack.

1104or-12-+1975-ford-f150-super-cab+right-side-view.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77