67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

Clutch

<---Pass
Get 15+ mpg? Possible but you gotta trim it just right.

This comes from getting more out of my old rover.

1st off, tires. I drop about 3 mpg going from 235/85/16 tires to 34x9.5 TSLs. I end up losing about 75 miles of range which sucks a lot. If you want to run 40" knobbys then no, you ain't getting 15 mpg. However if you keep it under a reasonable 33" and not 15" wide, then you are closer. Sounds like you want a street truck so going with a more reasonable size like a 265/75/16 or something like that will rock. Also on that note, reduce your tire/wheel package weight. A set of nice light street tires on some factory like alloys will be better than heavy carcass tires with dual beadlocks.

2nd, a good engine. Crappy underpowered engines don't do crap in the power nor MPG department. When I finally got my engine up to snuff, I noticed it held on the hills better, I wasn't using as much throttle, and I got better mpg. So yeah, if you are doing an engine replacement, get like, 400 hp. Also on that note, you might as well get a complete Chevy Gen 3 engine (like an LQ9) to throw in there. Good power, cheap, plentiful. I would say get a Gen 4 + 6 speed auto trans but you've already veto'd that. However a Gen 4 6.2 engine with the engine management (aka, cylinder delete) would help you out a lot on the highway.

Feel free to open up the exhaust and put a LS intake manifold on it but don't be going and throwing a cam and giant injectors in it and getting it tuned to the moon. Think efficiency and you'll get mpg and power.

If you put a carb on it, you deserve all the crappy MPG you get.

Be careful about putting a non-truck engine into a truck. They'll build their power at much higher RPMs. This is crap for a truck application and highway cruising. Also be careful of a LS1/2/3 used. That means it came out of a Camaro or Corvette...that was probably wrecked...guess what aluminum blocks don't like...

For gearing, set it up so you are using that nice low end torque. Something like an LQ9 will give you mighty fine power at 1500 rpm. So you can use that for highway cruising but not blowing up the gas tank. You said you want a manual trans, I'd look to see if a G56 would mate up to a Chevy engine. I did some research and you can get a nice new unit for like, $2k (if memory serves). This unit is great because you aren't going to be torque loading it (its for a diesel application so it should be able to handle a gasser without much issue) and its light. Same with a Gen 3 iron block, they are actually pretty lightweight and you'll probably be shedding weight by upgrading. On top of that, these old trucks are actually pretty light. Just think on the weight savings and it'll go a long way despite the fact the truck isn't aerodynamic worth a crap.

You'd probably end up running a 3.73 diff gear or something like that. This is alright assuming you start off with a transmission with a ~4:1 1st gear and your run of the mill stock chain driven transfer case. If you absolutely gotta have the crawl capability, then get you a 4.3:1 Atlas 2 speed but a chain drive will be great for street and help with your efficiency.

Thanks! That was the info I was looking. Tires no bigger than a 35", and no automatics. What is a good manny for the application? I am fine with a 5 speed...will get the crawl ratio from the transfer case...either a Atlas or a modded to twin stick 205....or if you can think of another transfer case option.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
^ That is a really nice truck overall. A couple of things I find strange though.
- All that lift without "better" steering. Crossover steering would have been a minimal investment.
- There's no hitch! Obviously they didn't intended to pull with it, but still!
- No tow hooks.
- That bed rug does not appear to fit well.

Wheels like that, it's common to have no recovery options

LR Max

Local Oaf
Thanks! That was the info I was looking. Tires no bigger than a 35", and no automatics. What is a good manny for the application? I am fine with a 5 speed...will get the crawl ratio from the transfer case...either a Atlas or a modded to twin stick 205....or if you can think of another transfer case option.

Read my post. The G56.

Clutch

<---Pass
Read my post. The G56.

sorry...super busy at work...i just skimmed it...will do when i have more time

3:00 now...and inhaling my lunch. :D

Edit: I don't think the G56 is going to work with a Chevy engine, after my skim research on Pirate

Any thoughts on the L92, I like the numbers better on that.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Saw this yesterday on my "hope that **********' axle seal doesn't leak" test ride yesterday.

Not a crew, but diesel...(girlfriend/soon to be wife isn't sold on the diesel, too stinky)

It was kinda funny to watch people not sit beside it at the red lights, think the Confederate Flag was scaring
the Prius drivers...

1468492_10152362078334630_1988254271784348091_n.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Here ya go...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81685-1978-Ford-Crew-Cummins-hunting-rig

My thoughts on this (I'm a diesel guy) is the easiest way to achieve a 18-20 mpg bump or dent side Ford is swap the body onto a 96-98 12v Cummins truck with a NV4500 in it already. It's a fairly easy swap, with dozens of examples on the Cumminsforum. Put lots of sound proofing on the body while its off. The money you save on the swap could go into rebuilding the drivetrain to like-new status. This would be an awesome all round truck.

Last edited:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Gawd I would love that truck, that body style, with the drive train pulled out of a 97 ps. I would say neer perfect combo.

Saw this yesterday on my "hope that **********' axle seal doesn't leak" test ride yesterday.

Not a crew, but diesel...(girlfriend/soon to be wife isn't sold on the diesel, too stinky)

It was kinda funny to watch people not sit beside it at the red lights, think the Confederate Flag was scaring
the Prius drivers...

View attachment 221369

Clutch

<---Pass
Here ya go...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/81685-1978-Ford-Crew-Cummins-hunting-rig

My thoughts on this (I'm a diesel guy) is the easiest way to achieve a 18-20 mpg bump or dent side Ford is swap the body onto a 96-98 12v Cummins truck with a NV4500 in it already. It's a fairly easy swap, with dozens of examples on the Cumminsforum. Put lots of sound proofing on the body while its off. The money you save on the swap could go into rebuilding the drivetrain to like-new status. This would be an awesome all round truck.

Higbean's rig is about perfect. Toss a FWC on there...done.

Doing a gasser seems like a ton of money/effort and the end result still might not pull 15 mpg.

Soon to be wife might have to get over the smell...I know out at Glamis they sell this stuff you pour in the tank to make your exhaust smell of a scent. LOL

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
At high speed the issue is probably more aerodynamics instead of weight.

This is correct. The energy required to move a vehicle only increases with the square of weight, but with the cube of wind resistance.

Also, the weight issue is really only a factor when accelerating. Once you're at a stable speed, it doesn't matter too much how heavy it is.

-Dan

njtacoma

Explorer
This is correct. The energy required to move a vehicle only increases with the square of weight, but with the cube of wind resistance.

Also, the weight issue is really only a factor when accelerating. Once you're at a stable speed, it doesn't matter too much how heavy it is.

-Dan

Cool, smart people on the portal, just another reason I enjoy this site. Now I just need to remember the "square of weight, cube of wind resistance" to drop in my next water cooler discussion.

Clutch

<---Pass
Mmmmm... Piña Colada flavour! You could also run it on waste fryer oil. Then it will smell like French fries! My wife hates the smell of diesel exhaust too, but I try not to have her stand by the exhaust pipe too often...

I have to be honest, I don't care for it either (even after all my years operating heavy equipment, and riding 2T dirtbikes)...my house is somewhat near the train switch yard...there will be times that is all you can smell, it can get pretty bad...I don't even like being outside when it is like that.

One of the reasons I am looking at gas engines.

Pros and Cons to both...just have to weigh what I want in the end. I really don't need 800 ft/lbs of torque...when I had my '76, the 2 barrel equipped 390 was plenty, it was around 310 ft/lbs if my quicky search is correct. We used to pull around skidsteers and had a tool boxes on top of the bedsides loaded full.

mkitchen

Explorer
Hope you get the truck you are looking for.

There are a lot of old iron 4X4's out there and we sure would love to see more yet. Check out Old Iron Run #3 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125187-Old-Iron-Run-3-September-12-14-2914
We have a lot of fun on these things and we usually get together as a group at the Expo as well. I have an 06 Tacoma but I still really love my 71 F 250. By the way, I think you can find a better deal than the bump side crew for less money.
Mikey

Clutch

<---Pass
There are a lot of old iron 4X4's out there and we sure would love to see more yet. Check out Old Iron Run #3 http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/125187-Old-Iron-Run-3-September-12-14-2914
We have a lot of fun on these things and we usually get together as a group at the Expo as well. I have an 06 Tacoma but I still really love my 71 F 250. By the way, I think you can find a better deal than the bump side crew for less money.
Mikey

I have been thinking about buying another for years...we did the old VW Westy for a few years, while I really liked it...felt like I couldn't really use it. It doesn't pull a trailer very well, let alone itself. ;)

Have a 1st Gen Tacoma...which I really like as well...there were times I thought of getting rid of it, I recently dumped about $4K into it...it is driving like new again...well better than new. It was down for 6.5 weeks...wouldn't you figure a week after I sold the VW. Swapping one vehicle between the two of us really sucked for how busy this last month and half has been. We are going to get a 3rd vehicle again, the requirements that it has to be super useful unlike the VW.

Lucky for me, the girlfriend loves the classics over the new vehicles. We both looked at getting brand new vehicles..a Tundra for me, and a Scion FR-S for her...we quickly got over that though. She is becoming a professor, and wants a "Prof Car" to run back and forth to school in. Thought of picking her up a Nash, and tossing a somewhat modern drive train in it. EFI 4 banger of some sort.

Nash_Metropolitan.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77