67-79 F250 with modern engine swap is 15+ mpg possible?

mkitchen

Explorer
Good Lord, not a Nash!

Having grown up with Morris Minor's and Mini's, I just can't go Nash. If you go small, then get something that is a bit fun through the twistys. I am of mixed feelings about vehicles though. I was always too broke to have two dollar bills to rub together most of my life, so I always had old cars. I liked them and they were all I could afford. Now I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and an 06 Tacaoma and both are really great cars but lack the character of the old iron. Also, I can better afford to keep up an older car now.

On the full size truck issue, you might be better off with a Suburban than a pickup. To get a pickup in a crew and have an 8 foot bed, you are looking at a long stretch between wheels. That means your break over height may be a problem. My full size is just four inches longer than the Tacoma (dual cab) and does quite well. Not sure how a longer wheelbase would be without really having to raise it up. It might depend on how you use it too. I tend to get my truck out in some pretty tight spots as the dents and scratches demonstrate. If you are just travelling forest types roads, a longer wheel base would do fine.

Here is a picture of my truck, Reuben.

r76c1y.jpg

Don't pay attention to the strap, it is only holding the spare as I was building the shell area. You can see the entire project up to this date (it will never be completely done) in this site. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57673-1971-F-250-4X4-is-Back-Home

I have built up the inside so there is little room to haul anything but I do have an off road trailer that I can throw behind if needed. I would like four doors as well but it would just be too long for me. If I had it to do over again, I would do another burb. I wish I kept my old 60, but I gave it to my daughter and she is not letting go of it. I tried to talk her into letting my have it but she jumped into getting it fixed up and now there is no chance. Here is a picture of the 60.

2wn450l.jpg

No matter what you get, it is going to cost you quite a bit of change. You used to be able to get a nice old truck for a fair price but now everybody thinks theirs is a collectors item. You also might keep in mind that you will have better luck finding a truck in good shape in the southwest. I lived in eastern OR and those trucks up there have a rough life with the weather. My 60, I bought in Boise and it had some significant rust (now all gone). A lot more old iron up there, most every ranch has a few behind their barn, but they are usually in rough shape. Good luck on the hunt and good luck on the move too. Idaho is a pretty place.
Mikey

eggman918

Adventurer
My '68 crew gets an honest 20 highway empty @ 65 mph and 16 as pictured @ 55mph with the trailer, the truck tips the scales @ 7,500lbs empty and the trailer is north of 3,500lbs.
But I spent ~ $10,000 and 2 plus years putting the 4bt and all new running gear to match in it,but as I have owned the truck for over 20 years and had no complaints other than the 390's mileage it was the most cost effective choice for me...but I am one of the crazies that like doing it from scratch and was able to do all the work myself the 4bt is LOUD and really likes to dance around at idle but the bumps were never a quiet ride and at 20mpg vs 10mpg I can live with a bit more "character"....and after 30+ years in the machine shop I'm half deaf anyway. when me 390 gave out on me I spent a long time deciding how to improve mileage and for me the 4bt was the best choice a 6bt would have cost less but I did not need as much power as they make and the length/weight was more than I wanted to deal with,but the idea of a cab swap on a dodge frame is the easiest and most cost effective way to go I would think. For me the 4bt has made my truck the ideal truck for us it continues to amaze me how hard that "little" 3.8L 4 banger will happily work.
100_1156.jpg

100_1379.jpg

100_1378.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Having grown up with Morris Minor's and Mini's, I just can't go Nash. If you go small, then get something that is a bit fun through the twistys. I am of mixed feelings about vehicles though. I was always too broke to have two dollar bills to rub together most of my life, so I always had old cars. I liked them and they were all I could afford. Now I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and an 06 Tacaoma and both are really great cars but lack the character of the old iron. Also, I can better afford to keep up an older car now.

On the full size truck issue, you might be better off with a Suburban than a pickup. To get a pickup in a crew and have an 8 foot bed, you are looking at a long stretch between wheels. That means your break over height may be a problem. My full size is just four inches longer than the Tacoma (dual cab) and does quite well. Not sure how a longer wheelbase would be without really having to raise it up. It might depend on how you use it too. I tend to get my truck out in some pretty tight spots as the dents and scratches demonstrate. If you are just travelling forest types roads, a longer wheel base would do fine.

Here is a picture of my truck, Reuben.

r76c1y.jpg

Don't pay attention to the strap, it is only holding the spare as I was building the shell area. You can see the entire project up to this date (it will never be completely done) in this site. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/57673-1971-F-250-4X4-is-Back-Home

I have built up the inside so there is little room to haul anything but I do have an off road trailer that I can throw behind if needed. I would like four doors as well but it would just be too long for me. If I had it to do over again, I would do another burb. I wish I kept my old 60, but I gave it to my daughter and she is not letting go of it. I tried to talk her into letting my have it but she jumped into getting it fixed up and now there is no chance. Here is a picture of the 60.

2wn450l.jpg

No matter what you get, it is going to cost you quite a bit of change. You used to be able to get a nice old truck for a fair price but now everybody thinks theirs is a collectors item. You also might keep in mind that you will have better luck finding a truck in good shape in the southwest. I lived in eastern OR and those trucks up there have a rough life with the weather. My 60, I bought in Boise and it had some significant rust (now all gone). A lot more old iron up there, most every ranch has a few behind their barn, but they are usually in rough shape. Good luck on the hunt and good luck on the move too. Idaho is a pretty place.
Mikey

She just wants to plunk along, doesn't care about performance. She can get any car she wants...if momma ain't happy ( ;) )...though she likes old trucks too...I'll leave it up to her.

A Nash does have potential..not crazy about all black..there is a LS1 under the hood of this one.

Hayden_Nash-3.jpg

We have a 02 Trooper and my Tacoma...these will be hobby vehicles. We'll keep our somewhat modern vehicles for DD's.

I sure do like those old Burbs...can't toss on a Four Wheel Camper or dirt bikes in the back though. :D It will be a crew with a short bed...no major offroading...that is what the dirtbike is for. The truck will only be used as a base-camp vehicle.

I have one of these for the hard stuff.

1661512_10152264367954630_988172606_n.jpg

I'll still have family in AZ, I'll be back and forth...so who knows... might find one here, or in Idaho...or somewhere in-between. It is crazy what some are going for...more than what my dad paid for his new...though I doubled my money when I sold my '73 VW...so I can see the collector aspect of it.

There is also a chance to stay with the old tech, K.I.S.S. and live with 10 mpg. Buy one for $10-20K and use the other $20K I would of spent on a new truck to feed the beast. Several ways to go about it...could buy a mildly restored one...think there is a link to one in Idaho for $22K I put in here somewhere...and just drive it. Not sure if I am completely sold on diesel. I can hear the moans now... :D

I like your truck BTW...just need a crew short bed version of it.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
My '68 crew gets an honest 20 highway empty @ 65 mph and 16 as pictured @ 55mph with the trailer, the truck tips the scales @ 7,500lbs empty and the trailer is north of 3,500lbs.
But I spent ~ $10,000 and 2 plus years putting the 4bt and all new running gear to match in it,but as I have owned the truck for over 20 years and had no complaints other than the 390's mileage it was the most cost effective choice for me...but I am one of the crazies that like doing it from scratch and was able to do all the work myself the 4bt is LOUD and really likes to dance around at idle but the bumps were never a quiet ride and at 20mpg vs 10mpg I can live with a bit more "character"....and after 30+ years in the machine shop I'm half deaf anyway. when me 390 gave out on me I spent a long time deciding how to improve mileage and for me the 4bt was the best choice a 6bt would have cost less but I did not need as much power as they make and the length/weight was more than I wanted to deal with,but the idea of a cab swap on a dodge frame is the easiest and most cost effective way to go I would think. For me the 4bt has made my truck the ideal truck for us it continues to amaze me how hard that "little" 3.8L 4 banger will happily work.
100_1156.jpg

100_1379.jpg

100_1378.jpg

Nice truck!

I couldn't do a 4BT....just too damn loud. I used to sit on earth moving machines all day, having to wear ear protection...I don't want that for my recreational vehicle.

looked at 6.2L Ford engines...makes the numbers I want...can pick up the engine, trans, and transfer case for $10K....though it will only get 10-12 mpg.

Did notice the Venezuela version comes with manual trans...

$(KGrHqYOKiQE2i!wtKs,BN0ZqSFp4w~~_12.JPG

1249022121703.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
There you go, that is what I am looking for.

Not a crew but I found this too. (perhaps for my better half ;) )

I really like the ride height. Seems like the RCSB need to be on a 32-33" tire...and crew or long beds need to be on 35's...

View attachment 221855

Cherry red. :drool:

I agree, 35's just look "correct" on the crew cabs.

eggman918

Adventurer
Nice truck!

I couldn't do a 4BT....just too damn loud. I used to sit on earth moving machines all day, having to wear ear protection...I don't want that for my recreational vehicle.

looked at 6.2L Ford engines...makes the numbers I want...can pick up the engine, trans, and transfer case for $10K....though it will only get 10-12 mpg.

Did notice the Venezuela version comes with manual trans...

$(KGrHqYOKiQE2i!wtKs,BN0ZqSFp4w~~_12.JPG

View attachment 221859
I've herd that the Isuzu 4bd is a quieter/smother option that will make similar power/mileage.

Clutch

<---Pass
I've herd that the Isuzu 4bd is a quieter/smother option that will make similar power/mileage.

I have driven those..they are pretty loud as well, nice little engines though.

There was an extra-cab South of me that was sell with one of those stuffed in. Was for sale for a long time...

Clutch

<---Pass
What about the ford 6.8l with a manny trans...?

That could work too, betcha you could pick those up cheap.

I am liking the GM L92.

Just not sold on diesel...yeah yeah...it is the typical thing people do. Following that extra cab diesel the other day, listening and smelling it....I asked myself, do I really want that?

I recently went back to an all terrain tire coming off of running mud's... Cooper STT's to be exact, the all terrain's are so nice and quiet now. Think the sound of the diesel would drive me nuts, that is because I am around noise all day long at work.

njtacoma

Explorer
There is also a chance to stay with the old tech, K.I.S.S. and live with 10 mpg. Buy one for $10-20K and use the other $20K I would of spent on a new truck to feed the beast. Several ways to go about it...could buy a mildly restored one...think there is a link to one in Idaho for $22K I put in here somewhere...and just drive it. Not sure if I am completely sold on diesel. I can hear the moans now... :D

I like your truck BTW...just need a crew short bed version of it.

My problem is that the $20K i would have spent on the truck getting eaten up by other day to day expenses, and then the time comes to go on a trip, and I think "Should I take the truck, nah, the gas mileage sucks and I could use that extra $250 this month on other stuff."
My goal right now is to increase my personal fleet average.

Clutch

<---Pass
My problem is that the $20K i would have spent on the truck getting eaten up by other day to day expenses, and then the time comes to go on a trip, and I think "Should I take the truck, nah, the gas mileage sucks and I could use that extra $250 this month on other stuff."
My goal right now is to increase my personal fleet average.

I am coming from the angle of, if I am going to spend $40K on a new truck like a Tundra for an example, which gets "ok" mileage 13city/15-17 hwy...what else could I spend that $40K on, that gets similar fuel economy? I came "this close" to buying a Tundra the other week.

Really like my Tacoma for everything but traveling, so I'll eat mpg's to get more space. (why I want[ed] the Tundra) The Tacoma gets horrid mileage when it is loaded down anyway, why not get horrid mileage...and more space? The leg room of the DC Tundra seems similar to an old ford crew cab, not that we need it, we do not have kids...I do want that space for gear storage and for her to crash out when we are traveling, something about a moving vehicle puts her right to sleep.

If I was really chasing mpg's...I would run out and buy a VW TDI Wagon, however I would hate that thing even more on trips than my Tacoma. I rented a Subaru Outback for a two week trip...I was hating that thing because of its' size by the end of the trip.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
What about the ford 6.8l with a manny trans...?

While I indeed prefer a manual trans for muscle cars and for " rallying" a rig through its paces, I prefer an auto for trail use, tricky tight spots, hill climbs, and getting unstuck/keeping from getting stuck. It's a lot easier to not break traction from a dead stop when needing to maneuver on hills, on rocks, mud, loose stuff etc.

And downshifting on steep loose hill climbs can be a drag...

I know, I'm in the minority, but you already knew that ( I drive an Astro van, for crying out loud) .

$0.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77