80 question.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Looking for opinions here. I don't know much about 80's so perhaps you guys and gals could help me out. I just found a mint, 1992 80 series, it's a loaded auto with OEM F&R lockers,winch, air, yada yada yada. It only has 50782 miles, and it's sporting the 4.2 liter diesel. Only kicker is it's right hand drive as it was imported from Japan. Asking price is $10,400. Is this a good deal? If so is there anything in particular I should look for if I check it out? I'm not really in the market for a vehicle, I love my Tacoma, but a diesel 80 with really low mileage is tempting.

Cheers and thanks.

Edit: It's a turbo diesel.

Last edited:

hks3sgte

César Gómez
Rust would probably be number 1.

I, personally, do not see RHD as a problem. It takes nothing away from the car.

blupaddler

Conspirator
O.K. now that I have mopped up the drool from my keyboard...

An enthusiastic yes would be my response, especially with the diesel. You can/will learn to adapt to the right hand drive which shouldn't be that bad since it is an auto (although I have never driven one).

80's are great, with that low miles you shouldn't have to worry about much.

Check out Slee Off Road's newbie guide
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm
This is really good, even though it is geared to the American petrol engines, the remainder should apply.

Also search www.ih8mud.com in the 80 section and diesel section for more specific answers with the diesel.

ginericLC

Adventurer
Find out if the Big End Bearings have been replaced. The early TD were prone to having problems with them. 10k is a good deal. Half cuts of that truck are probably still selling for 7-8k.

Actually for the diesel you are better of chatting with some of the Canadian Importers, Slee's tech is awesome if you have a US spec'd gas truck, but it doesn't tell you squat about the diesels. G and S Parts, Luxury Imports, etc.... You can find them in the www.ih8mud.com vendors section.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the links an info guys. I fired off an email the dealer with a ton of questions. They have another VX 80 going for $ 12,995 with the same mileage so I've asked them about that one as well. Both look spotless, but after looking around most clean 80's, at least up here in Canada, go for in or around the 20g range. I'm wondering if there is a problem with them or if they just don't know what they have. We'll see...

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Lost Canadian said:
Here, I found this link to the dealers add for this truck. The pictures aren't all that great but...

Looks very clean from the pics at least. I did notice that it does not have the FR & RR locker switch though...

Cheers,
P

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
p1michaud said:
Looks very clean from the pics at least. I did notice that it does not have the FR & RR locker switch though...

Cheers,
P
Thanks for pointing that out P.
Now where would that be? The blank on the left I'm guessing? The add in the Toronto Star must have been wrong, either that or they have another for that price not listed on their site. Hmmm...

Well that kinda bums me out now. I had a feeling this was too good... Ah well, I'll wait and see what they say if/when they email me back.

valkyrie

Adventurer
Lost Canadian said:
Thanks for pointing that out P.
Now where would that be? The blank on the left I'm guessing? The add in the Toronto Star must have been wrong, either that or they have another for that price not listed on their site. Hmmm...

Well that kinda bums me out now. I had a feeling this was too good... Ah well, I'll wait and see what they say if/when they email me back.
Lockers weren't available until 1993. You might want to just keep looking for an FZJ-80 (1993 and up), although it is possible to simply add ARB's to an FJ-80 if you find one you like. The 3FE is fine, but really responds well to correct gearing.

2cfsee

Here is a well-outfitted FJ-80 I used to own...

Picture054.jpg

Picture058.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
valkyrie said:
Lockers weren't available until 1993.
Even on the imports or just US models?

I found this import, says it's a 92 with lockers. It's nice but really I'm only looking to get out of my Tacoma if I see a steal, and I would want a diesel. That's what caught my eye originally with the ad I saw in the paper.

Nice 80 by the way, and thanks for the post.

ginericLC

Adventurer
valkyrie said:
Lockers weren't available until 1993. You might want to just keep looking for an FZJ-80 (1993 and up), although it is possible to simply add ARB's to an FJ-80 if you find one you like. The 3FE is fine, but really responds well to correct gearing.

You missed it he is looking at a HDJ81, it is a diesel. The lockers could be cable actuated not electric or the switch is to the left of the wheel even though it is RHD. They were available earlier than 93 in non US markets.

Attachments

• lockedrhd.jpg
    lockedrhd.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
I saw a 1992 80 series on the lot here in Texas with a rear locker, so I always figured they came out from 92 on?

4hilux

Observer
Hi - actually, they were available from start of production on JDM & some export models. Mostly, they were a 'option pack' - are electrically operated, & only come factory fitted as a pair...........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh