80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I've run all of the rear OME springs (895, 896, 897) and think you should be fine with the 895s unless you are going to add lots of weight to the rear. Even then I ran 895 with air-springs initially after adding weight (rear bumper), then 896 both with and without air-springs. I would only choose the 897s if I was going to be very heavy ALL the time, like always pulling my KK.

In the front I only ran the 886. I installed the 886 shortly before adding my front bumper and thought they were too much without a bumper. With a bumper and V8, sure, 886. So probably the 885 are the ticket, I think they are what most suggest for the V8 without an aftermarket bumper over the 884.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Photog

Explorer
The OME is simple and cheap, but the Overland Warehouse suspensions are so much nicer to drive. They are just as simple to install too; but they cost much more.

Congrats on your new 4Runner. You will really like it once it has a small lift and some rock sliders.

What is on your list of mods?

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
I've run all of the rear OME springs (895, 896, 897) and think you should be fine with the 895s unless you are going to add lots of weight to the rear. Even then I ran 895 with air-springs initially after adding weight (rear bumper), then 896 both with and without air-springs. I would only choose the 897s if I was going to be very heavy ALL the time, like always pulling my KK.

In the front I only ran the 886. I installed the 886 shortly before adding my front bumper and thought they were too much without a bumper. With a bumper and V8, sure, 886. So probably the 885 are the ticket, I think they are what most suggest for the V8 without an aftermarket bumper over the 884.

Great insight, thanks.

Was that the Galactic Grey in W Jordan? With black leather seats? Wife and I test drove it. Seemed really nice.
Yes...that was it. Other than a screw up on the vin/title, it turned out to be a good one. (title had one digit off from the actual vin, causing an autocheck to come up incorrectly)
The OME is simple and cheap, but the Overland Warehouse suspensions are so much nicer to drive. They are just a s simple to install too; but the cost much more.

Congrats on your new 4Runner. You will really like once it has a small lift and some rock sliders.

What is on your list of mods?

I'll have to look into those OW lifts.

Other than a mild lift and the roof box that is for the top, that is it for mods. We will eventually replace the tires with a more traditional AT when the stockers wear out.

Romer

Adventurer
Moody, I own two 80's a 3rd Gen 4runner and a 2006 V8 4th gen 4runner. All are built except for the 2006, that's the wifes car and all she would let me do is put better tires on it.:bike_rider:

One of my 80's is supercharged and I did it at 136K Miles. I know people who have done it at 180K miles with no issues.

My supercharged 80 seems to have just as much power as the stock V8 4runner. It is a significant difference to the non supercharged 80. Course I have 35" tires and am re-geared.

One option is to look at this as an opportunity. When installing the supercharger, have the head removed and rebuilt, injectors replaced, etc. That will give you a great running truck. You could also have the engine pulled, have the piston slots rebored with new pistons added to the head rebuild and you would essentially have a rebuilt engine that will last another 300K miles. You could have Robbie come and do all the work for you if you want it done fast.

A built up 4th gen would be nice as well and my daughter wheels her IFS 4runner better than a lot of guys with the solid front axle 80. A lot has to do with skill.

I take it you don't like the FJ Cruiser? Same frame as the 4th gen. I don't like the blind spot, but my friends tell me you get use to using the mirrors and it isn't an issue.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I like the idea of a supercharger, but it isn't in the cards right now. We figure we ought to regear before we make the change (and drop the change) on a supercharger. If/when the motor craps out (it is at 178k now) I will for sure go with a supercharger, new radiator, etc. and do it right. I only plan on running a tire size of 285 max. so 4.88's would be the most I would go.

Nope, I don't really care for the FJC...if they had true 4 doors I would like them more.

I just ordered up a 4x4 Labs rear bumper with dual swings for the 80 though...so she'll be around for a while yet.

Photog

Explorer
FJ Cruiser has a windshield that is like looking out of a pill box (gun emplacement). It is so short, they had to use 3 wipers, like an MG. I think you made a good choice.

Summer is here; time to see the world. :)

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Did I miss where the 100 Series LC got cut from your list? All the size plus the V8 power. I guess it doesn't matter anymore....

WSP is coming back to Red Rocks this summer. :costumed-smiley-007

Moody

Needs to get out more
Did I miss where the 100 Series LC got cut from your list? All the size plus the V8 power. I guess it doesn't matter anymore....

WSP is coming back to Red Rocks this summer. :costumed-smiley-007

100 series isn't completely out...in fact Hilary and I were discussing a build of a 100 series just last night, after Zander said he wanted a landcruiser when he turns 16. We figure we have 2 more solid years with the 80 before we retire it. I am sure loving the 4runner though. The 4.7 liter motor is plenty for that size of a truck. I just want to do OME and the dual battery and call it good, except for tires when the stockers die out.

Are you going to the WSP shows? I will be on the road with my kids in August, eventually making it to the LA area near the end of the month before I am back to school. I'd love to work it into the schedule.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Trying to figure it out. It's the same weekend (mid June) my wife is riding the MS150, which means I'll be busy lassoing the chitlins while she's cycling. I wish I had a grandma in town.... August will be too late, although in the past they've come back another show at the end of the summer, so it's possible....

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7214

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8247

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-8514

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I like the idea of a supercharger, but it isn't in the cards right now. We figure we ought to regear before we make the change (and drop the change) on a supercharger. If/when the motor craps out (it is at 178k now) I will for sure go with a supercharger, new radiator, etc. and do it right. I only plan on running a tire size of 285 max. so 4.88's would be the most I would go.

Nope, I don't really care for the FJC...if they had true 4 doors I would like them more.

I just ordered up a 4x4 Labs rear bumper with dual swings for the 80 though...so she'll be around for a while yet.

4.56 if you max out at 285's. I would not go higher.
supercharger is the best money you will spend, it's like a different animal:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online