80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I'm pretty sure a frame is designed to NOT easiy fold up. It has to support all the suspension and drivetrain bits as well as the crumple zones.

That is exactly the reason no-one got hurt. They are made to collapse to absorb the energy. You can not have it both ways. That is just the nature of new vehicles.

AlexJet

Explorer
Is that 30/19 per imperial gallon?

I think so. What, you guys use diferent gallons south the border??? If yes, it get me confused a bit. I used on-line fuel consumption conversion to convert metric standard used in Canada L/100km to US standard MPG.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Having had an FJ Cruiser last (Same platform as the 4th gen 4R) and an 80 series now, I'd definitely recommend keeping the 80, especially if its already built. The 4R doesnt have the aftermarket support of the 80 series (or the FJC for that matter) and the reliability of the drivetrain with a 35 tire on the IFS is sketchy unless you are a skilled driver with a talented right foot, with the V8 opton, the V6 is a little easier, but can still break on anything more than moderate level trails, and the steering gear is a completely different story - IMO rack & pinion belongs on corollas, not off road trucks - and the 80 has the steering comparison killed over the 4R (have seen 4 broken IFS steering linkage setups, and a couple broken racks, not a fun replacement on the trail and a non issue with the 80). The 4R is a great SUV for what it is, but comparing the 80 series to the 4R is like the difference between shooting a bullet and throwing it. And mileage is going to be un-amazing on the 4R once its outfitted the way you want it.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
And I'll follow up by saying I'd own a 4R in a heartbeat compared to another FJC, but a built 80 to a stock 4R is still a smokin deal with lots of money left over. I love the looks of the 4 Runner, just between the 2 one is more obviously designed with going off road in mind and I'd feel a lot less worried with the 80 in the middle of nowhere - I just wish it had a 5 speed!

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
I drove a friend's 80 with 315's and a SC...felt more powerful than a 100 series.

I have actually considered the SC, I figured cost with install to be about 5k.

My buddy has a S/C and 4.88's on his 80. That's 7% gearing improvement and the HP and Torque addition of the S/C.

My 100 has a 12% gearing disadvantage from tires.

He gets me from 0-20 (because my gearing is so bad and his is so good) and then I get him from there on out. If I had normal gearing I'd wipe him out like I used to before he added 4.88's.

Moody

Needs to get out more
My buddy has a S/C and 4.88's on his 80. That's 7% gearing improvement and the HP and Torque addition of the S/C.

My 100 has a 12% gearing disadvantage from tires.

He gets me from 0-20 (because my gearing is so bad and his is so good) and then I get him from there on out. If I had normal gearing I'd wipe him out like I used to before he added 4.88's.

Yes...that was it. Off the line it felt super quick (his was stock gearing).

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Moody, if you do decide to sell you 80, let me know. I have been toying with the idea of upsizing from my 3rd Gen 4Runner and you 80 is sweet!

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Man, I'm in the same predicament. I have a commuter Honda and wife is driving the Tacoma for right now (just sold her Corolla after having our first baby) I wanted to sell it for either a 4Runner or a 100. But I keep thinking I'm going to miss having the truck, especially with the spring time home projects coming up. So now I'm thinking of selling the Honda and keeping the Tacoma, and getting the wife a 4R/LC. MPG is going to take a big hit for me, since I'm going from 35MPG to 20 (hwy), and I have a 90 mile round trip commute. But it ends up being maybe $1k worth of extra fuel cost a year. Not bad at all. In your case, with only a 10 mile commute, and the fact that the IS300 gets poor gas mileage (for a sedan), it's a no-brainer keeping the 80 and getting a 4Runner. Wish my decision was that clear cut.

EDIT: Just to add, I'd look into a Tacoma more than a 4Runner since you already have an SUV. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
We found a local 04 4Runner with the v8, 66k on the clock, one owner, stellar deal. We bought it, and we have the IS for sale. Hilary loves it. I think it will be great. Now for a little suspension upgrade, and we are done with it.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
66k + V8 = Perfect. Happy for you. Yes, add Old Man Emu and you're finished.

We found a local 04 4Runner with the v8, 66k on the clock, one owner, stellar deal. We bought it, and we have the IS for sale. Hilary loves it. I think it will be great. Now for a little suspension upgrade, and we are done with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach